3D Dev Weekend

Please add his favourites to the Doodle link, so we will get an good overview.
Currently it seems to be a lot of people. Great! :smiley:

Ok friends, after a discussion with Marek, we picked the weekend from 17. -18.03.2012. Sadly there is always a date where somebody is missing, but we guess this is a good solution for everybody that likes to visit the FOSSGIS afterwards.

Now we can enter the next steps:
-add ideas for topics that you think should be discussed
-add if you want definitly join this workshop (as we have to rent rooms, but there is still time)
-get room for the workshop itself (Marek?Saerdnaer?)

Ok, so I think this will be a nice metting and we can present interesing results, maybe already at the FOSSGIS :slight_smile:

Hi everybody, hope you had all a good new years eve :wink:

Please try to decide within the next weeks if you can come, as we try to get some accomodation there, so we need the number of guests.

Hi, I’m coming, definitely.

Hi everybody, there have already been a lot of suggestions what we could do and talk about in Garching. A few of us have now created a first rough draft for an agenda in the wiki:

http://wiki.osm.org/2nd_3D_Workshop_Garching/Agenda

It’s based on the ideas for topics from the wiki page and previous forum posts. But be aware that this is just intended as a starting point for discussion. So is there anything missing that you would like to do, would you prefer to organize things differently, are you interested in the topics currently on there at all?

I like the topics on the agenda, but would suggest to switch the days and start directly with a tagging discussion for a basic tagging scheme. To me this seem to be the most important reason for our meeting, so it should be #1? What does the other say?

I agree that the tagging scheme is the most important topic on that list. However, I would not change the order and I’ll tell you why:

I think the first topic on the first day has to be some introduction talks, the “who is who” and why is anybody here at all. In my opinion this implies talks about the participants’ projects, which is also important to sort out the incentive of their presence. This simply takes time (at least that was the case at first workshop with much less participants). So moving the tagging discussion to the second time gives us a full day to talk about it, plus the knowledge who wants to achieve what with their project.

Sounds wise to me, so let’s keep the old order :slight_smile:

I’ll attend the workshop with high probability.

If there is interest I can show how to use Google Sketchup Photo Matching feature to construct 3D buildings models from photos and how to use OSM plugin for Google Sketchup.

Also, I’m developing an application that converts OSM file to POV ray scene. I’m going to present a few weeks before the workshop.
Aleš Janda, Tordanik: are you interested in discussing how to represent OSM objects and their properties (e.g. realistic textures) in Povray?

!i!
You wrote some time ago about external 3D models repository. Do you expect to have some progress in this area?

marek kleciak:
What accomodation options will be available?

While I’m not an expert on the topic, I’m generally interested in discussing POVRay - after all, OSM2World can also be used for creating .pov scenes, even if it is not the sole focus of the software.

However, this is a topic that only affects a small number of developers, so it would probably not be interesting for most participants. Maybe we could find a bit of time between the “main” topics of the workshop (= those that are relevant for almost all participants), e.g. in the evening, to discuss more specific topics such as this one?

Tordanik,
yes I meant to discuss Povray-related things in a close circle.

Yes, I’m interested in POV-Ray. But it needn’t be necessarily POV-Ray, it can be about “any automatic rendering tool of OpenStreetMap data”. POV-Ray is only one from many. The deal is ability to convert OSM data to anything 3D.

Hi friends, as the event comes clother, we please you to finally update your attendance. This will allow us to get the right number of hotel rooms and other aspects.

Another important aspect is, that we need still some topics/alternatives for Saturday afternoon, so please read my call for participation:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=15620

See you tomorrow friends :slight_smile:

Dear Friends,

LOT OF THANKS FOR COMMING AND BEST REGARDS FOR EVERYBODY!

Results of our discussions in Garching comes soon in wiki.

Please make translations into local languages and inform your communities about our suggestions.

Marek

Thank you too for organising of this interesting event and discussion :slight_smile:

Is there any place where to get/put photos from weekend?

Sure Ales :slight_smile: just add them to the wiki http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/2nd_3D_Workshop_Garching#Impressions

I’d also like to say a big thank you to the organisers of the workshop, particularly Andreas and Marek for their commitment!
It was great to meet all of you and to bring together people from different backgrounds to discuss exciting 3D topics.

Is there any way to get the slides of the participant’s introductions?

!i! - i think, You´ve collectet the presentations?
I added 3 funny pictures from Adam :wink:

Hi folks, sorry catched up a cold and needed some rest, but now back in business :wink:
I uploaded the slides right here: http://ikaria.informatik.uni-rostock.de/mm337/osm/3D%20Garching%202/ (if somebody misses his slides, just send me a ping).
As the most have noticed, Tordanik and myself tried to setup an wiki page for our tagging schema. Please take a look, to make sure we didn’t made anything wrong http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_Buildings
But there are still some Todo’s open, as good sketches and some details that need to be clarified. If there aren’t any bigger mistakes, it would be great if the first devs might starting to add support and to start adding this details to some demo areas.

Further things to do:

• create key/value tags wiki pages (or just redirects)
  • starting Texture page (can I do in the next weeks)
  • translating the page to different languages
  • labeling other tagging schemas for buildings as obsolet
  • Make a 3D landing page, that can be easily found wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D