WikiProject_Singapore - To improve Singapore map

Hello

I have added the MRT East West Line railway tracks & stations. Also updated the wiki entry.

Now starting with North South Line.

[edited: done]

[edited: also have added the North East Line]

[edited: also have updated the wiki entry]

On second though I think that we should make road as Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 as two one way road, as you say it will be better for routing purposes and I guess the rendering will be OK also.

Hi, here I am to say hi!
I will want to map punggol. hopefully my neo works.
if not, i’ll try to map with an nslu2 with garmin usb 18

Hi and welcome!

It’ll be cool to see you walk around with a batterypack, a Linksys NSLU2 and an USB GPS… can someone take a picture of that? But, I assume, you will be driving around in a car?

I think I have a picture of myself with a backpack and a USB GPS mouse under my knitted cap. For awhile I had two of them, and was thinking of adding a USB WLAN receiver… :wink: Most of the time you just tried to hide the cables…

A bit snowcrash-esque…

Hi jipi

Welcome on board! Great, we need more people to help out. Look forward to your punggol mapping. Please feel free to shoot any question that you have… :slight_smile:

Hi, I’ve started trying to plug some of the gaps in the East, particularly around East Coast Rd, Still Rd, Marine Parade. as far as I can tell the naming convention is to use the full spelling of Road, Street, Lorong etc, can someone confirm. Thanks.

Yes that’s right. From Editing Standards and Conventions page:

“Do not abbreviate words. There is currently no table of standard abbreviations (St. could be Street or it could be Saint) and it has been decided that this is a rendering issue. i.e. the underlying data should have the full street name. This will allow a renderer to introduce abbreviations as necessary.”

Yo Friends

I’m another new member of OSM, looking forward to mapping west and orchard area…

Rgds

IS

If a road has two separate carriageways, divided by a barrier, convention is to map it as two one-way highways. If it’s just a large road, map it as highway=trunk, primary or whatever.

If you want to establish a general correspondence between the legal status of the road (which you get from roadsigns) and the tags used in OSM, it’s probably a good idea to put this on the wiki page so others can see it and comment. Most of the discussion on standards centers on the smaller roads (unclassified/residential/service) rather than the large ones.

Are any of you Singapore guys still actively mapping?

I’m a relatively new member although I’ve been interested in the project for years. I just didn’t realise that I could so easily add to the project and put of joining until now.

I’ve been doing some work on the AMK area and also on the CTE and Braddell Road junctions as they were not very well implemented. I’ve been trying to model them so they would route correctly if the maps ever become complete enough to make them routable.

My plan is to work my way along the CTE and fix the junctions first and then I’ll start concentrating on other expressways and trunk roads.

Hi everyone,
I am Alex and I will be leading a new established research group in the field of transport planning in Singapore. We intend to establish a new transport simulation for Singapore which might rely on OSM-data. We obviously would also contribute to the mapping process. Therefore, I’d like to know who is still active in the OSM-Singapore community.

Hi, I just joined and haven’t contributed yet… intend to do so in the not-to-distant future.

A group? ah hah (with upward inflection). Excursion on bicycles with GPS? haha.

Hello fushionstream

Sorry, I didn’t notice your earlier posting until now…

I’m active again … :slight_smile:

Now, my focus is on adding new building data (e.g. HDB flats, condo, apartments, commercial)

Cheers!
:slight_smile:

Nice.

Dude, I made some suggestions in the wiki page on tagging conventions. I’ve tried to balance both tag definition and road usage in Singapore. Hope you don’t mind. Let me know what you think!

Let’s get some steam in them wheels! :slight_smile:

I don’t have any strong opinion on your suggestions for tagging conventions. They look ok to me.

btw, when creating the map, my personal preference is to batch the map drawing. As such, there will be minimal tagging by me for the moment - just enough to show the basic nature of the items such as road, building.

Cheers!
:slight_smile:

I agree. This is necessary for proper routing whenever there are ramps or side streets that connect to only one side of the divided highway. (Personally I don’t usually bother splitting highways when the dividing barrier is just a small island or has openings so that does not interfere with traffic flow through any intersections.)

I think even if there are small islands it is really important to have separate carriageways because the router may plot a route based on an impossible route.
EDIT

Btw. What are your thoughts of using Google Maps to show you where there are roads and then driving around those areas with a GPS logger? I tried this out on my second last trip for the first time but there were configuration complications so it failed.