Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

There are also some streets ‘lost’ in Berlin according to the mkgmap mailinglist, so it looks a mkgmap problem…

Lambertus, please beware that Marko cut down the landuse drastically in the default styles, so forests etc wont appear anymore in those styles!
The landuse can be found in a different substyle:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/landuse/polygons

To include it you must edit the info file of the default substyle:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/default/info

Im not sure how and if it is working properly.

Hello Lambertus
I tried the new set from 14-01-2011. Seems the “find” for placs like Grathem and Kessel now works. Nice.
Good to go for my wuest and mapsource!
I’m gonna use it for my trips I guess

One small buggy item, Kessel is located in Limburg, NLD. It find Kessel in “kreis Viersen” which is Germany. I do not know it it is wrong in the openstreetmaps or in you “mkgmap” setting.

Wim

Could be a bug in mkgmap or the mkgmap processing, mkgmap guesses in what Province Kessel is located. If the tiles are cut maybe there is a relation of administrative district broken during the process. Instead of Limburg it looks in a neighbouring district which could be Viersen (Venlo is also in Viersen ;-)). To prevent this, you can use Wanmil’s boundary file which can downloaded from http://navmaps.eu/index.php/developers/bound
I dont know if Lambertus uses this one.

I use the following parameters

–location-autofill=bounds,is-in,nearest
–bounds=bounds

Btw I see also a lot of places without country (ABC instead of NLD) so I guess this is also a result of broken admin. districts. It may also explain why some streets are missing (Apeldoorn in ABC and Apeldoorn in NLD?)

I noticed this in my self-built map. Last month I got a map with correct country code. Maybe a bug in the latest mkgmap Version?

Greetings,
ajoessen

Which version did you use? I’m using mkgmap-r2165 in combination with the europe bounds file and I don’t see a default ‘country’ ABC

This was a bug in an older mkgmap version, but was fixed meanwhile. I’m not able to reproduce it anymore using mkgmap r2133 or newer with bounds from december.

Thorsten

Hi Lambertus,

I did twice a download (update 14-01-2012 )from the site to get The Netherland into Mapsource. I selected all the tiles. The first time I choose for automatic selection… the second time I selected the tiles myself.

In Mapsource the map looks oké, but in my gps some tiles in the Netherlands are missing. For instance my beautiful “Island of Dordrecht.”
I send the map several times to the sd-card, (also an empty one) with the same result. The same missing parts.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.7912&lon=4.6796&zoom=14&layers=M

Groet,
Eggie

Hi!

Thank you for providing the OSM Data so easily!

When downloading the latest data (gmapsup.img) of Austria today the woods are not shown any more on my Oregon 300. I did not find information about that (only one post here in this forum which did not help me) and I don’t wanna create the maps by myself (other users have much more talent in this…) - any hint for me?

Thanks

If you can see woods on the map in BaseCamp or MapSource, but can’t see them on your OR300 try Setup|Map|Advanced Map Setup|Text Size| LandCover.
(Who knows why they put land cover under text size?)
You may also want to switch profiles. Default “Recreational” is a good one.

Almost all landuse is stripped from the default style so that could be the reason why there are no forests on the map anymore. Without a style file, the map looks a lot less cluttered in Mapsource now. On the other hand, too many boundaries, powerlines and gsm masts seems back…

Thanks for the replies.

Newby questions: Does that mean, that with the generated gmapsupp.img it is not possible to see “woods” again? I need to download the tiles, include in Mapsource, include a TYP file and generate a new one.

The old ones were just perfect for me…

It means that Lambertus has to work a bit on his styles. In the meantime, you could test other maps. The openfietsmap for example, or Freizeitkarte by toc-rox, or build your own one:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ajoessen/Garminkarten_selber_bauen

Greetings
ajoessen

Hi,

great site! Tried compiling an individual map of the US. Did not get the gmapsupp.zip fo download. This is the link: Index of /garmin/routable/14-01-2012/efffb9822886ae976f4d101df7d4b93b. No idea where the rest is.

Thanks for the good work.

Can you forward the email (unedited) to osm [at] na1400 [dot] info? Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone else came across something like this …

I was using maps from the end of December with the standard Mapnik Type file. In my Garmin 20, the routing does not seem to respect one-way streets. It will route along the streets, but in the wrong direction on one-way streets if it needs to, for the shortest route.

In OSM everything is fine, and in Mapsource and Basecamp routing works as it should. It just seems to disregard the one-way aspect when routing in the Garmin 20.
I checked with an actual Garmin map of the same area and routing along one-way streets seems to work fine. The odd thing is I pulled out the old Garmin Vista Cx with the same OSM map and the routing works as it should, in the correct direction along one-way streets.

The map was transferred to both devices via Mapsource.

I have doubled checked that the problem exists and it has me baffled. Could someone else with a Garmin 20 (or maybe any newer Garmins) check this and tell me whether I am going crazy or not?

Thanks and jama rek.

I take it as read that you have checked that your GPS is not set to pedestrian mode? I am afraid that one day Garmin will come up with a way to discourage us from using free maps. Maybe that day has arrived… :frowning:

Hmm, I think I’ve read something about Garmin changing the way restrictions are handled in their new models. so maybe no map generated with mkgmap works with the new models in respect to oneways, turn restrictions, maxheight, …
But i’m not sure about this. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

It would be interesting to know whether this problem only occurs with OSM maps (compiled with mkgmap) or with other maps that are made with cgpsmapper as well. If the latter work then the programmers of mkgmap need to be made aware of the problem, so they can fix it.

Regards,
Peter.

Turns out the Garmin Dakota 20 WAS set to Pedestrian Mode.

On switching it to Car/Motorcycle or Bicycle, so far it looks like it DOES respect one-way streets.

So it was my fault. False alarm everyone.

Usually it is set to Bicycle; I don’t remember switching it to Pedestrian.

Thanks for the clue Beddhist.

jama rek,