Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi - I’m brand new to owning a Garmin GPS and discovered the freely available maps on OpenStreetMap and your site - THANKS!!!

Unfortunately, I’m having a little problem. I select a set of tiles in Canada (Eastern Ontario), just north of the Great Lakes. But when I run the .exe file to install the mapset on my PC, all I see in Mapsource are a set of Points of Interest. A couple of times I’ve seens some roads that are in the US (Just south of the lakes), but nothing from Canada - And nothing in the way of shores, rivers, etc.

Has anyone else seen this, or am I just simply not doing something right. I’m running the latest version of MapSource from Garmin’s site.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Is there data available on the map on this site for the area that you’re interested in?

The Garmin maps are based upon OpenStreetMap data and our coverage is not everywhere as good as we would like (but you can help us gaining that coverage ofcourse!).

Yes. I can see all the roads in the Ottawa area on openstreetmaps.com. But they don’t show up in mapsource, when I run the downloaded routable .exe file.

Sorry - typed the URL in the previous message incorrectly. Sholuld have been openstreetmap.org (the link you provided). The streets do also show up on the map where I select the tiles.

Hi,

First of all thanks for the service. Seriously appreciated. I use the maps here in Korea to add more to OSM whenever I go out riding. So …
I was wondering if there were any chance you could add the --name-tag-list=name:en to your command line or at least make it a checkable option, if possible? Having a Garmin that doesn’t support Asian characters makes for a lot of confusion (???) on place and street names.

And while on the subject of command line options, the --add-pois-to-areas would also be very useful for making schools, parks and other buildings searchable.

I am not sure how your scripting works, and my coding days are rather far behind me, but perhaps you could set up a page where the user could check off a number of command line options that would then be passed through when building with mkgmap .

I know you have your own plans and are already working hard on this. I am just thinking out loud.

I do try and make my own maps now and then, but the process seems to be a bit hit and miss for me at the moment.

Again, thanks a lot. Have a great day.

Robert

Right, then there is something wrong with the build process for that area. I’ll look at it.

Yes, there are lots of problems in that area (code pages and such). I’m working on a new version where you can set all kinds of parameters if you want to. Be patient though, it’s impacting everything ofcourse so it requires some time.

Good idea, I’ll add that to the list as well.

That’s what I’m working at currently.

Yes, I’ve had my share of misses too :stuck_out_tongue:

Great to hear it. I’ll be looking forward to it and will try to be patient. :confused:

Have a great day.

Robert

Hello,
Preliminarily I installed several tiles on my gpsmap 60csx and on Mapsource.
The version on the 60csx I combined with a typfile as provided for the complete Germany routable map of OSM.
On both versions (device / MS) I now have the same problem:
When zooming out beyond a scale of 3 km the OSM-roads disappear. The principal roads may dissapear partially and disappear completely with the next step (5 km)
The roads of the basemap remain visible.
Beyond a scale of 5 km the map looks quite useless:
The OSM-roads are disappeared, while the rivers and the private/public boundaries remained visible. As I understood, the problem relies to the levels attached to the various elements, but I cannot identify whether this is a problem of the OSM-data or the generation of the map.
Best regards,
Gibuld

I tried downloading two sets of tiles. When I installed the second, the first one was removed from Mapsource (same product code I guess).
Is there an easy way to add tiles from a second download to one that was gotten earlier?

Is there still an option to get a (cached) ‘all tiles’ download?

Exactly. I’m working on allowing you to define your own map parameters like product codes.

There are several options to generate an overview map and TDB file (which are needed for MapSource) using existing tiles. One is using Mkgmap another is MapSetToolkit.

No, not at the moment and I’m not sure I will add such an option again at all.

First off - Lambertus, what a fantastic resource, thank you.

I’m probably being another numpty here ! - so apologies in advance.

I selected & downloaded tiles for all of UK - and opened them up in Mapsource, - all visible. I even managed to use the routing feature on a trial route between 2 waypoints I created. :slight_smile:

But my “find places” is greyed out when the OSM Routable Map is open in Mapsource.:expressionless:

With PC basemap “find places” is OK but of course that is not routable.

Then I tried the option to show “OSM Map” - find places is OK, and it seems I can create a waypoint in there (that I could later use in OSM Routable),

BUT the problem is that not all the area is shown in this version. Although all of the UK is shown in routable - in the OSM Map it only shows a small portion of the South West of the UK - not even a whole tile. On the Select tiles page of the web site that tile should also have a corner of Spain - right?

What did I do wrong?

I guess you did nothing wrong here. You’re looking at limitations of the map building process which includes the not fully working address search. I expect the software to become better at it in time but it requires more knowledge of the Garmin image format.

What is the option to show “OSM map”? I cannot find it in MapSource. Can you elaborate?

The tile that is not being shown… is that 63240046.img? I’ve looked at that tile and it seems ok to me… Can you post the download url please?

Hi Lambertus
Thank you for your quick reply - Can I send you direct e-mail with screen dumps to show better what I mean (I couldn’t figure how to do that directly in Forum post) ?

OK - I figured a way to do it on forum:)

This first screen dump shows what I got when I opened up the OSM World Routable map - the area is exactly what I was expecting.
but as I mentioned the “Find Places” is greyed out.

You see at top left a drop down - it says OSM World Routable

but it also gives me other options like on this second screen dump

As you can see, this time, I selected option for OSM Map -
This time the “Find Places” is working !:slight_smile: but unfortunately I do not live in that part of the country !
I am assuming I got that OSM Map as part of my download from you… because until I found your wonderful service I could not get anything in Mapsource at all.

My download url was:
<http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/30-04-2009/2aa986149e2343955822797ed9c9eac5>

If that “OSM Map” was for all of UK - It would solve a problem… because I can find a place on there - put a Waypoint on it, then use that Waypoint in the Routable versionm.

I guess I should say also I got Mapsource on my PC by using the instructions near foot of this page:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12998.60
because I don’t yet own a Garmin - just thinking of buying one, and decided to explore OSM before spending money on Topo which I heard is not so good.
Anyway I got so excited by whole OSM concept - I even added a small (20 metre) path near my house (freehand without a GPS, just by reference to other already mapped features) Only a very small contribution I know but I hope to do more in future.

Your OSM map is most likely generated using cgpsmapper while my routable maps are generated using Mkgmap. Unfortunately the address search section in Mkgmap is not complete yet because of lack of understanding of the Garmin image format by it’s makers. The reason why I don’t use cgpsmapper is that it is a commercial application and I like to promote OS tools and drive their development by increasing the userbase. The development of Mkgmap is going strong so I guess the address search will be working within the next 6 months (uneducated guess!).

Lambertus, for some unknown reason routing doesn’t work for tile 63240108.img (Cologne, Germany) on my StreetPilot. I haven’t come across any other bad tiles so far…

I’ll rebuild the tile and see if I can see something strange…

Yes I suppose it could be cgsmapper - I installed the freeware version of that, to try to make Mapsource readable files from a GMAPSUPP.IMG (for all of UK) supplied by another member of yacf forum. I could not get it to work. I don’t know why it should (in the background) create something readable for just a corner of UK.

I had a look at Mkgmap - but I decided my command line days are too long ago. I will wait for the GUI on that. In the meantime the Routable map is OK without the Find places because one can use other resources like Multimap to find locations then put a waypoint on the routable map.

I will watch with great interest all the developments.

I’ve been on a holiday in Switzerland, and because we had no topo maps there I used your OSM Garmin maps. It worked perfect!

But there is one problem: if I show your maps on the device, most areas are not shown. Some examples: landuse=residential, building=yes, natural=wood. Strange is that they do show up when loaded in MapSource. Another thing: highway=motorway is blue in MapSource and red on the device. And highway=track and highway=cycleway are different in MapSource, but there is no difference between them on the device. Are the MapSource application and the device using different styles?

Another thing: I think that POI’s are displayed too early when zooming in. They should show up at 500m zoom level or something. Now, they show up at 3km.

I’m using the default Mkgmap style and have noticed the things you describe too (e.g. tracks, paths, footways and cycleways all having the same look on the GPS). Perhaps this needs fixing in the default Mkgmap style or we need to use a TYP file to control this, though from the openmtb map I understand this is a problem with the default Mkgmap style.

I an reluctant to develop my own style because of the time it takes and because other map makers possibly do not profit from it. So I think it would be best to somehow organize a significant effort to improve the default Mkgmap style.