Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Is this just some kind of sick joke? Per Instructions: There is NO ‘ENABLE TILE SELECTION’ window, There is no ‘email’ window…Shift selection doesn’t highlight
anything… Do you work for Garmin maps?

Lambertus:

Thanks, that actually works perfect for me, I leave for Cuba on Wednesday morning. I will keep your suggestion in mind, and will make any additional updates to the data as soon as I return.

Bruce H.

Csdf

Thanks for the tip. Had a look round and will keep the tips in mind. One question. The contour maps I have been generating to overlay, work pretty well, but do you know if there is an option to make them unselectable on the garmin? Also despite trying several methods to change the colour and thickness of the lines the contours come out as medium thick black lines. Any idea how to change them? They were created using groundtruth using the following

Groundtruth -ibf=output.ibf -mn=Uaecontours -fn=Uaecontours -cr={Have tried several rules files}

Then I combine the tiles into one img file with gmaptool and copy to the maps directory on the nuvi garmin.

C

1. Overlay maps are unselectable on certain Garmin devices and not on others. On my GPSMap76Csx they are unselectable if compiled with a different family ID. I’m not sure that there is a definitive list of which models they work on but my vague recollection is that it’s easier to unselect on older models than on newer models.

2. I don’t use Groundtruth to make contours so I can’t answer with any exactness, but the way your contours are displayed depends on a) the GPS unit you use b) its firmware c) any TYP file that is also incoporated

I use srtm2osm to create OSM-format contours, then convert these to Garmin IMG format using mkgmap and combine them with my TYP file which has custom definitions for contour lines. More details on the contour-creation side here: http://www.cferrero.net/maps/mkgmap_tiddlywiki.html#contours

Is the system broken at the moment (8/1/12)? I did a custom map of all UK and Ireland and the download was smaller than previous. Also many of the tiles seemed to be blank. I note that the date now being reported below the map window (which doesn’t load) is dated 23/12/2012, yes 2012! Something wrong somewhere.

Hello; I loaded a map (Thank You) onto my Garmin Oregon, but it’s much smaller than the area I selected? I did
this twice with the same result?

Is there a limit to the map size that is different from the memory card size? How do you select a larger area?
The whole U.S. for example or even a region (SW USA)…?

Second; even though I loaded the two maps onto a single SD card, only one showed up on the Garmin. Is
there a way for combine the multiple maps? Thank You again… mdg

mdg,
IIRC the maximum number of tiles is around 2500.
The maximum memory for vector maps is 4GB (All of OpenStreetMap for the US should fit, but if you are adding topo you will probably run out of space), although you can add raster maps and Birdseye imagery well beyond this.
If you are using BaseCamp or MapSource to load IMG files to your OR they both send a file named gmapsupp.img. It will overwrite the existing file of the same name. The workaround is to rename the gmapsupp.img file replacing gmapsupp with a useful mnemonic. Keep the IMG extension. Send as many maps as will fit in the 4MB limit.

Yes, the upload broke down because my router hung and needed a reboot. Somehow the upload did manage to update the version number so that the website thinks that there is a new version available.

Anyway, all the missing tiles have been uploaded now and the new version is available. It’s using the latest Mkgmap r2162 which should create a proper address index in the gmapsupp image directly. So with this new version you can have a proper address search function on the GPS without having to use Mapsource to generate the gmapsupp.

Lambertus, I suppose you forgot to update the style files to r2162?
This is important because in the older mkgmap versions was a bug introduced where villages got a garmin type that couldnt be found in the place search. (They got Garmin type 0x1100, which is now corrected to type 0x900). In your latest map they are still rendered with 0x1100.

I was wondering why I can’t find a lot of streets or even villages and was already trying to create a small test-case, perhaps the bug explains it.

But, I’m not specifying any style file during map combining so it’s using the default style file (if it uses a style file at all during gmapsupp generation, I guess not). I’ll check the initial tile rendering script this evening and report back here.

Edit: Yes, you are correct, a styles directory from November 19th was used for this update. I’ve checked out the latest version from SVN so the problem should be fixed (or work better at the next release).

Thanks ligfietser!

BTW, do you know why some streets within a city (e.g. Apeldoorn) can be found without a problem while many many others are not? I don’t think this can be traced back to the above problem…

There are also some streets ‘lost’ in Berlin according to the mkgmap mailinglist, so it looks a mkgmap problem…

Lambertus, please beware that Marko cut down the landuse drastically in the default styles, so forests etc wont appear anymore in those styles!
The landuse can be found in a different substyle:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/landuse/polygons

To include it you must edit the info file of the default substyle:
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/default/info

Im not sure how and if it is working properly.

Hello Lambertus
I tried the new set from 14-01-2011. Seems the “find” for placs like Grathem and Kessel now works. Nice.
Good to go for my wuest and mapsource!
I’m gonna use it for my trips I guess

One small buggy item, Kessel is located in Limburg, NLD. It find Kessel in “kreis Viersen” which is Germany. I do not know it it is wrong in the openstreetmaps or in you “mkgmap” setting.

Wim

Could be a bug in mkgmap or the mkgmap processing, mkgmap guesses in what Province Kessel is located. If the tiles are cut maybe there is a relation of administrative district broken during the process. Instead of Limburg it looks in a neighbouring district which could be Viersen (Venlo is also in Viersen ;-)). To prevent this, you can use Wanmil’s boundary file which can downloaded from http://navmaps.eu/index.php/developers/bound
I dont know if Lambertus uses this one.

I use the following parameters

–location-autofill=bounds,is-in,nearest
–bounds=bounds

Btw I see also a lot of places without country (ABC instead of NLD) so I guess this is also a result of broken admin. districts. It may also explain why some streets are missing (Apeldoorn in ABC and Apeldoorn in NLD?)

I noticed this in my self-built map. Last month I got a map with correct country code. Maybe a bug in the latest mkgmap Version?

Greetings,
ajoessen

Which version did you use? I’m using mkgmap-r2165 in combination with the europe bounds file and I don’t see a default ‘country’ ABC

This was a bug in an older mkgmap version, but was fixed meanwhile. I’m not able to reproduce it anymore using mkgmap r2133 or newer with bounds from december.

Thorsten

Hi Lambertus,

I did twice a download (update 14-01-2012 )from the site to get The Netherland into Mapsource. I selected all the tiles. The first time I choose for automatic selection… the second time I selected the tiles myself.

In Mapsource the map looks oké, but in my gps some tiles in the Netherlands are missing. For instance my beautiful “Island of Dordrecht.”
I send the map several times to the sd-card, (also an empty one) with the same result. The same missing parts.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.7912&lon=4.6796&zoom=14&layers=M

Groet,
Eggie

Hi!

Thank you for providing the OSM Data so easily!

When downloading the latest data (gmapsup.img) of Austria today the woods are not shown any more on my Oregon 300. I did not find information about that (only one post here in this forum which did not help me) and I don’t wanna create the maps by myself (other users have much more talent in this…) - any hint for me?

Thanks

If you can see woods on the map in BaseCamp or MapSource, but can’t see them on your OR300 try Setup|Map|Advanced Map Setup|Text Size| LandCover.
(Who knows why they put land cover under text size?)
You may also want to switch profiles. Default “Recreational” is a good one.