Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

So we now have half a page full with user errors :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad you worked it out though.

Hello and thanks again for a great service. I have been travelling in South America for the past few months and I keep updating/adding ways/POIs to OSM - it´s great to know that every month or so I can download the latest map of the country I am in and I will have the latest and greatest! Helps contributors get a valuable sense of progress.

I travel by bicycle and the two things that would be great to have (for my Garmin device) are:

1. Contour lines (a-la opencyclemap.org)
  2. Different rendering for paved vs unpaved roads. An example of this is http://osm.org/go/MI~egFpOm- which is tagged as paved to the west of the intersection and unpaved to the east, but is rendered as exactly the same on both sides. Is it possible to render these differently on the GPS to make it obvious which ways are unpaved?

Cheers

Alex

I’m not sure about contour lines, but paved vs unpaved roads would be no problem to render. If and when my Openfietsmap will be rendered world wide (Lambertus?) you would see those unpaved roads as track road.

Working on the scripts as I write this…

Contours will be a problem unless there becomes a third server I think. Worldwide contours take a lot of space. A lot!

How much is a lot? If whole Europe is 1,1 gb (Computer Teddy’s website) and Europe is 7% of the worlds landmass, I would guess 15 gb is needed for the whole world? Of course you dont want to put the contours in all your country maps, but maybe a separate mapset of contours only?

Perhaps contour-enabled maps should be a selectable/togglable option?

I expect most users would not need this information (e.g. for motorists) but for walkers/hikers/cyclists elevation profiles are useful to know.

I have loaded OSM Russia with TYP file option onto my Garmin Montana 650. When I do this I can no longer do an effective Address Search on the Garmin City Navigator NA map I also have installed. Even if I Disable the OSM Routable maps, the CNNA Address search process is still being impacted negatively by the OSM maps. I can search the OSM maps with no problems. When I remove the OSM-TYP map my CNNA Address Search works properly. If I use the OSM Map without the TYP file there is no problem. Other non-Garmin maps do not cause this problem.

I assume you are talking about the Mapnik.typ file from garmin.openstreetmap.nl?
Does this error happen as well if you try it with other osm maps from other countries other than osm russia?

Your assumption is correct and it happens with China so I made the assumption (usually a bad thing) that all of Mapnik TYP file compiles were an issue. I can try a few others if need be.

I’m going to try one other test to eliminate one other possible issue. I’ll post later.

Cheers,

Thanks, it would be great if you could also test this gmapsupp.img (small test map from the netherlands with typ file) : http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/downloads/detail?name=gmapsupp.img It contains a different typ file.

So, it’s not just Russia. All OSM maps when installed using the GMAPI file and then installed on the GPS using Garmin’s MapInstall application produce the same results. That being, the GPS sees the new country map in addition to City Navigator NA. When preforming an Address Search, the first option is to select the Country to search. If one selects the United States (CNNA), only Alaska is searched for the next criteria: City.

If OSM maps are loaded using the gmapsupp.img download direct to the GPS, then the GPS does not recognize the map as another country. So when doing an Address Search, there is no option to select the country to search.

I don’t know if this is an issue with the Garmin Montana or with OSM maps or with the MapInstall application. Garmin doesn’t care about OSM issues. Although they might look at this one if I plead with the Montana Development Team.

Cheers,

I requseted a set of maps and got an e-mail notifying the map set is ready for download. However, I can not find the url address for downloading from the notification e-mail, which is quoted below.

Does this e-mail contain the address? If so, what is it and where is it?

I tried several times to send an e-mail asking help for this to the sender of the notification e-mail by the address shown in the sender address of the e-mail but all the sendings were unsuccessful with the error message,“To: lambertus@osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de, 2011/12/21 13:34:42, 401, Connection failed. 132.195.124.8:25”

Would somebody help me?

------------ The Ready notification e-mail
Subject: Your routable Garmin map request: Ready
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 03:30:47 +0100
From: Routable OSM Garmin maps - custom map server lambertus@osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de

Hi, Your request for a routable Garmin map on garmin.openstreetmap.nl is ready. The server has generated four different configurations of your map: * _mapsource.exe = Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows). * _roadtrip.zip = Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (Mac OSX) * _gmapsupp.zip = Combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img) * _tiles.zip = A zip file containing the tiles in the request, especially useful for Linux users (e.g. QLandkarte) Please browse to the website listed below and download the map configuration(s) you’re interested in. Your request will be available on the server for 48 hours before it’s deleted. Enjoy! – Lambertus http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl If you try to download your map but get the message ‘404 Not Found’ and you are sure to have requested the map less then 48 hours ago, then this is probably because of the following three options: 1) Please take a close look at the url in the email above as it is possible that a section of the url is on the next line. If this is the case then you have to copy/paste the url sections in the browser address bar (without the ‘<’ and ‘>’ characters). 2) The download window has passed and the server deleted your request to make room for other requests. If you tried to download around 48 hours after you received the email (check the timestamps in the headers) then this is most probably the cause, you can simply request your map again (and make sure you download soon after you’ve received the email). 3) A problem occurred while building the map. Please reply to this email (and include this email) stating that your map request has failed. Thanks! These maps are created with OpenStreetMap data and hosting is sponsored by Oxilion. If you enjoy this service then please consider contributing to OpenStreetMap (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide) and/or using Oxilion for your hosting needs (http://www.oxilion.nl)

Do you mean this issue is not specifically related anymore to the Mapnik typ file? It could be an mkgmap issue (all those osm maps are compiled with mkgmap), so I suggest you can post it on the mkgmap mailing list:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mkgmap-dev@lists.mkgmap.org.uk/info.html

It doesn’t appear to be the TYP file. I’ll post over on the mkgmap list when I get a chance. I’ll give your TYP file a run later today. Thanks.

Cheers,

Looks good. The map was recognized on my Montana 650 as a Country map and the country name as searchable (once I figured out the language) as were City names. I gave up on Address search since I don’t speak Dutch.

The zoom level at which the World Basemap is taken over by your map could be a bit lower. The map also does not show up in BaseCamp when the Montana is connected .

Cheers,

Thanks for testing drtbyk, glad to hear this one is ok. This map does not show in Basecamp because I have compiled it with Mapsource (at the moment when I made it, mkgmap couldnt generate a working address index, but recent developments will make this work too and will make it show up in Basecamp).

I’m downloading maps from the osm website for some time now with my desktop, which runs on Windows XP. The system works without any trouble at all, uploading maps on my gps device perfectly. Building your own maps is just thrilling. So far so good.
I recently bought a netbook which runs on Windows 7 (starter ed.). Initially I simply used the maps from my desktop, but noticed that parts of the maps wouldn’t build up properly. leaving open whole parts, specially when I scrolled rather fast.
So I decided to download the maps with my netbook, but then the results were even worse.
What could I do?

Hello,

We’ve downloaded the OSM-maps of New Zealand (by selecting New Zealand of manual selection), we’ve installed the maps on the pc. When we zoom in in mapsource, we can only see a small part of New Zealand. There seems to be a vertical line that hides/covers the rest of the islands. Is this a known problem? We’ve never had this problem before with other countries.

Kinds regards
Wim

I have found the way to sove the problem I had. If anyone has the same problem, the explanation below would help.

The problem was that the e-mail server of my use discards the url address which is normaly located between ‘before it’s deleted.’ and ‘Enjoy!’.

If it happens, then use an e-mail address of a different e-mail server for the notification mail, i.e., at the e-mail address box on the Map Request screen.

Lamburtus:

When will the next refresh of data take place on http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/, I am going to Cuba next week and I would like to be able to have an updated map to take with me, I have made a number of updates to the area around Trinidad that would be helpful to have when I travel there.

Thanks

Bruce