Routable Garmin maps: http://emexes.powweb.com/osm/

see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mkgmap/routing

I would like add installers for routable maps on my site, but I wonder how routing is supposed to work across multiple tiles. Obviously you cannot create a single tile for any whole country (A small country like the Netherlands alone needs about 200 tiles already). Therefore any routing capability is worthless if you cannot route across multiple tiles. So the question is, does that work?

Thanks liosha.

Here’s an example of connecting nodes between tiles to make it routable

Tile 1
[POLYLINE]
Type=0x01
EndLevel=4
Label=~[0x04]E2 NSE
DirIndicator=1
Data0=(3.0391936,101.7062182), … (2.6274582,102)
RoadID=1299
RouteParams=6,4,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Nod0=0,1046,0

Nod16=224,2649,1
[END]

Tile 2
[POLYLINE]
Type=0x01
EndLevel=4
Label=~[0x04]E2 NSE
DirIndicator=1
Data0=(2.6274582,102), … (2.1308003,102.7412188)
RoadID=285
RouteParams=6,4,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
Nod0=0,1143,1

Nod4=223,769,0
[END]

The third value of Nodn of the connecting nodes has a value of 1. In Gpsmapedit the connecting nodes “Is external node” is set to true. I’m not sure how you guys can implement this as there’s a need to read all tiles to match up the connecting nodes.

To whom it may concern…
I had problems with getting Mkgmap started in XP.
Saw in German forum that I had to put the Mkgmap.jar program in de directory C:\Program files\mkgmap… I did so and did also put the downloaded osm map in the same directory.
Then I went (via accessories -command prompt to the old black DOS screen.
There I changed in DOS mode the directory to
C:\program files\mkgmap
After that I entered the format to start mkgmap.
C:\program files\mkgmap java -jar mkgmap.jar mapcur.osm
Where mapcur.osm is the osm map I renamed after downloading.
It so happened that in de mkgmap directory the file 6324001.img appears…!
So obviously it worked so far… will now see how it shows on my Garmin.

Hi,

there are red squares on http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php which means these maps are not available. I’m driving to Denmark in 3 weeks, where can I get the red labed squares - especially 63240180.img.

Thanks
René

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

…I know that link, but there is no denmark linked.

If you follow some of the links given on that page, then you will find maps for Denmark, like the one from Team OID…

Hi Lambertus,

crack me if I’m wrong but using maps from another supporter are not routable in combination with yours.

Well, I haven’t checked it myself but the page listing the map providers clearly says Routable=yes for the Team OID maps…

On there webspace there is given this infomation:

• routing does not work from one mapset to another: eg from Germany to Austria,

…>means making no sense to download denmark there if you want to get routed from Stuttgart to denmark. but if there is a way that the 3 red labeld maps from your support are available it will work…how can I support you doing that? Is there a scripting tool set you can support to recalculated the maps?

you can also contact me directly.

Sincerely
René

hmm…:frowning:

Nice topic kick :sunglasses: (BTW we’re discussing this in the wrong topic…)

I have divided those tiles in half manually before (but it didn’t help enough), so I could do it again for the remaining red tiles. But I am in the process of making a script to do that dividing for me. A script would be useful as I expect red tiles to occur often in the future.

But ok, I’ll divide them once more and hope they’ll render ok then, with the planet update the coming week.

But what’s so special about Denmark?

Let me guess: It seems like every single house in Denmark is in the database, most of them not near to any street in the database. At highest resolution nearly all probed parts of Denmark seem to consist of isolated houses.

Splitter tries to automatically determine the maximum tile size for a specific area but the data in that area is giving Splitter false clues. This might be caused by e.g. a combination of many POI’s but few roads.

One way of working around those problem areas is to force Splitter to dimension the tiles so that they fewer nodes using the --max-nodes option. This is what I’ve done and now most of the world is rendered by Mkgmap without problems, except the ones in Denmark.

Can you support the coordinates of the red labeled areas? In this case more than I can try to render this area.

…tried also another way: downloaded germany and denmark from planet.osm, merged it with osmosis, splitted it but when creating with mkgmap I will always receive a Java heap sice message…even if I limited with -Xx1300m

…its so fretful!

Sincerely
René

Sorry, I don’t understand your question…

perhaps you should close this thread off , as website is no longer active.

…new set of maps online but denmark is still red… :frowning:

sincerely
rene

Yep, sorry. Did not have the time to fix it yet.