Way full of blues

Ways can really screw up IMHO, they can be drawn in the wrong way very easily but it’s very hard to fix it without scriptkiddie skills. Some errors I see alot:

1. two ways consisting of the same nodes, making it impossible to select one of the ways.
  2. attempts of doing areas, but the same node is included several times.

both these are in a call for help on the swedish forum. Any other common hard to fix mistakes?

Super late reply but I only just read this.

For 1. in JOSM click on the double+ way with the middle mouse button, then hold ctrl, and select from the two.

This isn’t really a solution, but it’s not ‘impossible’

I think it’s more concerning, that you can’t actually make out easily where there are multiple ways, rather than the issue of selecting them. This makes data susceptible to being screwed up just because a person isn’t aware it’s there.

I think if there are 2 ways + between 2 nodes then josm needs to display the lines differently. preferably parallel lines for 2 and 3 lines for 3 or more ways.

If you select any where where there are multiply ways then josm should bring up the box that appears if you hold ctrl automatically, and only have it disappear when you click somewhere. If you click on one of the ways listed in the box it should select that.

I’m presuming nothing has been changed recently in relation to this, as I can’t currently download the latest version to check myself as the sites down.

What exactly is unfixable without scripts? Using the method I stated above, I have never had much issue untangling the ways.

Thank for answering, what I’m looking for is basically “gotchas” when editing in OSM. Not solve them but identifying them.

So when you have two ways sharing the same place they should be rendered different? That would make it possible to select the way you want, without getting a popup.

What I mean about unfixable without scripts is that some kind of raw access to the data structures is needed, but when you need that I’m not sure that the solution is easy enough…