Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Prefiltering is not necessary, just make a copy of the default style, point to that directory in your mkgmap parameters (–style-file=c:\lambertus\default) and put some # in front of the lines that you dont want.

For instance in
http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/svn/wsvn/mkgmap/resources/styles/default/lines

#power=line [0x29 resolution 21]

and

#boundary=administrative & admin_level<7 [0x1c resolution 21]
#boundary=administrative & admin_level<9 [0x1c resolution 22]
#boundary=administrative [0x1c resolution 22]
#boundary=national [0x1e resolution 17]
#boundary=political [0x1c resolution 19]

Yes, I know that ofcourse, but the original idea was that I could simply update Mkgmap regularly and be done with it. By starting to edit the style file another point of maintenance is added. I’ll just stick with the current situation until I’ve got the new scripts ready that use your stylesheet+typ file.

Hi, I found this website as I am looking for a free map for my vacation in Australia.

I downloaded the map img file and uploded it to the sd card.

I got a huge problem with the img file that I hope someone can help me.

I can find the city or search points of interest.

But I cannot search for addresses. Why I try, it says No Map Data Available. If I enable my base map, I can find cities in that country but not in Australia. Also cannot change the country to Australia. No option to do so.

Anyone can help.

How to force Garmn to search for Australia addresses.

My Garmin is a nuvi 1490.

Please help.
Regards.

Hi Gaden,

Have you read the sticky topic about address searching? Do you have any other map enabled covering Oz?

Try putting your GPS into demo mode, then move the current location to Australia. Now search, but when asked to choose a country or city choose to search all. Leave house number blank.

Hi Beddhist,
Thanks for your advise to read the sticky. I have gone through it and it seems that for my Garmin model breaks the OSM maps worst then normal.

As it keeps on prompting “No Map Available” I cannot use the work around that is suggested.

I can find POI but addresses are totally broken.

I guess will have to find an alternative means to find my way.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Check out this list. There should be an Oz map or two for you made with the ‘original’ compiler.

Address search will not work with this img file, you have to install the Mapsource version and send the maps with Mapsource to your device. Only Mapsource can create a working address index.

Maybe it helps to update the firmware of your nuvi.
In the latest firmwares there are fixes like this: “Fixed an error that caused address searches to return no results” or “Fixed an error that prevented a user from selecting a Country or State/Province while searching for an address using third-party maps.”

In the UK between the towns of Dorchester and Weymouth there is a new road, the Weymouth Relief Road A354. It seems OK in OSM but having built a custom set for the British Isles there is a section of the road that appears as a thin dotted line which I would associate with a track or footpath when viewed in Mapsource. The section is between Jurassic Roundabout and Veasta Roundabout. Other parts of this new road show correctly. Any ideas?

I have just made a minor edit to this section of road in OSM to remove the Key ‘Construction’ in the advanced menu as other parts of this road do not have this key.

A hint from the german forum: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

That could be a starter for regionalised routing done bei mkgmap.

I read there that it is very questionable to do so. Better set the access tags correctly in OSM than let it done by mkgmap.

In an ideal world: yes. But with our ever-imperfect Wiki-like OSM data, it should be OK to have country-defaults which can be overwritten by specific tags. Once again: I’m thinking of the normal user who just wants to download a map for his Garmin and then intends it to behave like the all the other navigation devices which uses commercial data (or better, naturally).

Hi,

Would it be possible to select a couple of countries to get a map from. Like when I travel to spain, I’d love to select Netherlands, Belgium, France and Spain in one go and get that map. I am capable of getting the seperate tiles and combine them to a map, but if I could download one in one go, that would be easier :slight_smile:

Best regards, Peter

I downloaded a custom mapset for use on my PC in MapSource v6.13.7 (I know its old but its the version I prefer as it uses a better projection). Lakes and rivers are shown in blue but the sea is shown in the same yellowy colour as is the land. Are there any solutions to change the colour to a more appropriate one, say blue?

Yes, there are two solutions:

1. Wait until Lambertus will render the sea because this isn’t rendered yet
  2. Make your own map with mkgmap

BTW In Mapsource 6.16 Garmin has improved the map projection compared to v 6.15 (those versions were indeed awful)

This has been suggested a few times before and I plan to introduce this in the next version of the website (which will take some time).

This is also planned for the next version, that will use the style file from this topic.

Btw, I’ve implemented Ligfietser’s suggestion (without the last two lines) so I hope the flooding in some places and the missing highway problem is solved in the next map update that is running now (due within 2 days I hope).

Drat. The new map version is live and parts of Sidney are still flooded, despite that pre-processing has been eliminated (so Mkgmap should have all the data available).

Perhaps it’s an artifact of the splitting boundaries? I don’t know.

Just had a look and it seems that maps are now being constructed from older OSM data (29/10/2011) than recently when 5/11/2011 data was used.

Aargh!! You are right, I distributed the wrong map version. Can I blame not having had coffee yet?

The latest map version (19-11-2011) has now been distributed between the servers. And guess what… no more flooding in Sidney :smiley:

Thanks for noticing the problem!

Lambertus - you can blame whatever you like. The work you and others do on this project for the rest of us to use is much appreciated by me and I’m sure very many others.

Thanks 32110. Enjoy!