Help: Tiles Usage Policy

Please don’t do this! Ordinary users using a slippy map are not a problem.

There is a problem with apps mass downloading tiles from the servers; because of that the Tile usage policy was written, but nothing in there is applicable to ordinary slippy maps.

Хотя, maps.rosreestr.ru, maps.yandex.ru, wikimapia.org вполне могут себе позволить.

Пора mapnik к nginx’у начинать прикручивать, а-то они squid с apache для раздачи статики используют :confused:

!i!, do you suggest we stop advertising OSM for a map layer because it loads our servers? Isn’t it the point of making maps — to see them being used by ordinary people? The numbers in the list you gave are far less then by mass-downloading apps, and I doubt they make a noticeable effect on server’s performance.

upd: I’ve wrote about this on shtosm, you can read translated version.

According the Openstreetmap Admin team on IRC, there is no problem. They agree with Zverik, all sites are allowed to use osm.org tiles.

Они такие же как мы :slight_smile:
Техническую проблему хотят решить административными методами :slight_smile:

They same as we :slight_smile:
A technical problem want to solve by administrative methods :slight_smile:

Yes the referrer list was published, but the intended message behind this, is not that these people are all villains. These are websites with very high number of users, all being shown OpenStreetMap tiles. At the moment we’re taking a balanced view point on this kind of use. We love the fact that they’re using OpenStreetMap, and we love the high user traffic. So on the whole we’re happy for them to use our tile server, although we’ll keep the situation under observation.

If they were to set up their own tile server instead of using OpenStreetMap data, that would of course be super-awesome, but we can understand that there are considerable technical barriers to doing so (let’s work to make this easier) Using alternate providers is an easier option, but we (and web developers probably) would like to see more alternatives out there. Different styles etc.

We certainly don’t want these web developers to turn around and say “fine I’ll just use google maps”. This is the danger, and it sounds like (due to a misunderstanding) you may have contacted them in way which might very well cause them to do that.

As mentioned, the real villains are mobile apps and scripts which do bulk downloading of tiles i.e. requesting thousands of tiles all at once. It’s a popular idea for a map app, and unfortunately new apps like this keep popping up repeatedly. Often developers claim to be unaware of the Tile Usage Policy.

Sorry was my fault :frowning: You are absolutly right, the normal map users aren’t a real problem. So please don’t write mails!

As Harry says, I don’t want anybody not to use OSM but saw a problem with the high capacity users. So I tried to show the people that we doesn’t have infinite resources. Currently most of them aggreed that they have not problem in using MQ or wanted to take a view on the rendering stack docu.

Sorry once again for stressing you…

Never mind, you gave me an idea on how to reduce some of dependencies :slight_smile: I’m working on it now.

!i!, emj, Harry Wood:
come to our forum more often!

In fact I would like to this, cause as Harry I’m interested in community building. But unfortunatly the language barrier is quite high :confused: And I’m not sure if it’s not misunderstood as an interruption…

You are right. :frowning:
Sometimes it is not clear that here is written in Russian:)

For everybody still interested in this topic:
http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2011/11/01/tile-usage-policy/
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/15190

Так что с этой “политикой” делать? может прокси на рамблере поднять?

Reported to forum of SAS.Plane users.
http://sasgis.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1753

Перепостил на форуме пользователей SAS.Планета
http://sasgis.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1753

А где на рамблере скачиваются тайлы с openstreetmap?
Т так, по-взрослому, нужно свой рендер поднимать, имхо.
Или кешировать и раздавать только кеш.

Да кстати, собирая карту очередного вела маршрута - мапник меня послал именно в SAS планете :(((

я не понимаю, вы какую проблему сейчас решаете?

Собственно, присоединяюсь к Зверику.

Разработчики САС.Планеты давно оповещены и пофиксили всё, что создавало основные проблемы осмовским серверам. Нужо просто-напросто обновиться.

Сервера не умирают, просто наиболее активные (очевидно-ботовые - с осмоснимков один товарищ запасся за неделю аж четырьмя гигами тайлов) пользователи банятся. Это всегда было и всегда будет.

Если кто-то просто хочет себе три сотни тайлов, которые тут же посмотрит - никаких сильных проблем он серверам не создаст, и истерик а-ля !i! делать не стоит - не забанят этого пользователя. Так же, как и никто не будет банить за вставку тайлов osm.org на чей-то сайт.

Ещё раз - проблему составляют только те пользователи, которые солят тайлы бочками, и, соответственно, программы, где это действие выполняется одной (иногда единственной) большой кнопкой в главном меню.

Хм. Значит, я лично, неправильно понял тему :slight_smile:

То есть если я поставлю в SAS.планете скачать весь питер с 9 по 19 масштаб меня не забанят? (нужно человеку оффлайн карту), естественно я это обновлять буду не ежедневно, а раз в пару месяцев.

Кстати может есть просмотрщик вектора для компа какой-нить? А то растр-то уныло :frowning:

Забанят, и Котяра объяснил, почему. Во-первых, 19-го зума нет, во-вторых, только до z16 Петербург весит 155 мегабайт (28 тысяч тайлов), вместе с z17 уже будет более полугигабайта. На странице Tile usage policy явно написано, что скачивать оптом z17 и более можно только с разрешения администратора. На рамблере поднимать зеркало смысла нет, потому что машины там не особо быстрые. Просмотрщик вектора — маперитив (на всё ответ), грузил туда ленобласть без проблем.