Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi There, really great stuff openstreetmap! I have a (probably noob) question. I have selected one tile (southern Portugal) last evening, I did receive the confirmation e-mail but I have not yet received the e-mail of my ‘window opening’ eventhough this should have been open this morning. I am probably just impatient but I was wondering wether there might be something wrong with server? I am leaving on Monday so this is why I am bit pressed for time. At this moment the delay seems to be 1.2 days! Sorry for bothering you, I hope somebody finds time to help.

No. There are no logs and the terminal that contains the script output was killed because the update looked good at first glance.

Address search is working reasonably well and assigning the streets to the localities is also working much better after the locator branch was merged with trunk. Use MapSource to create a good address index for the GPS, the gmapsupp as provided by the website isn’t as good in that aspect.

That service is provided by the Nominatim software. The streetnames, places etc are part of the OSM data and Nominatim is a fast geolocator. The problem with the Garmin maps is that the index format wasn’t understood very well for a long time. That’s why Nominatim worked quite well and Garmin maps not. But as said things are shaping up.

Finding a housenumber will be difficult as most housenumbers aren’t mapped yet. But finding a street or placename should work very well, but also depending on the fact if it is mapped.

The custom map server (i.e. non-country requests) was apparently rebooted and the map making scripts didn’t resume handling requests after that. This has been fixed now, you should receive your map shortly now.

First I’d like to thank Lambertus for this awesome service! I was working on something similar until I found this, and gave up…you did it much better than me and I love the results.

I have a question though, I thought I saw it somewhere but can’t find it, but was wondering what settings the site uses with mkgmap when creating the map; I’ve been trying to make some maps for myself and I always seem to have some weird problem or another, while your site is always spot on and works perfectly.

Would it be okay to ask what switches you use?

Thanks!

The custom map server (i.e. non-country requests) was apparently rebooted and the map making scripts didn’t resume handling requests after that. This has been fixed now, you should receive your map shortly now.

THANKS!!

can you update the sri lankan map from the openstreetmap ? I have added some maps there. Also will you be able to do this update at least once a week. I think that will be helpful most of the users

I think I finally found the problem: file corruption due to a powerloss event earlier. It’s fixed and a new update is running.

I try to update once a week and never intended update rates faster then once a week. Generating maps for the whole world is a complex process and things break all the time. Sometimes this schedule is met, sometimes not, such is life. If you want fast updates for mapping verification then you’ll have to roll your own local map.

My GPS: Garmin nuvi 1690 is not able to even go into the Address search.

It just says “No Map Data Available”.

There must be a way to merge the address data from Navteq (the one which comes with Mapsource) into OSM .img file which we download from your website?

BTW thanks for updating OSM data.

There’s no way to access Navteq data except by using a Navteq based map, so there’s no way to merge databases from OSM and Garmin.

“No Map Data Available”.

I am having the same problem on a Garmin 60csx using mapsource 6.11.6.
I have ticked "Include Route Calculation Data in mapsource.

I use the process listed above - that is go to addresses, enter any old street number and then try to enter data into the street name and the response is “None Found” - zip…no streets are in the database.

Note that the map and street names are listed on the screen.

Anyone know what would be causing this?

thanks

Current MS version is 6.16.3. Unless you are using a very old operating system you should think of upgrading.

Have upgraded to the latest MS and downloaded the latest version of the OSM map and the outcome is identical as previously discussed.

Trying another approach I sent an older map to the GPS and it routed fine with that map (which is probably a year old) so there must be a problem with the current OSM configuration??

Ligfietser tipped me to use a new feature of Mkgmap that should improve the address search quite a bit (bounds and location-fill options). A new version using these options is being uploaded now and should come online within 12 24 hours or so.

Crap, I forgot to upload the updated script. Restarted the update process…

Your OSM’s work perfect in my Edge 800. Thanks!! We ride many paths and trails that show in the OSM maps but not in Garmin’s NT chip.

I’m having trouble getting my gf’s 705 to read them, though. Could be the sd card I’m using is too big at 4gb. Do I need to use a smaller card?

Dear Lambertus,

thanks a lot for this great service! I use it on my Vista HCx for navigation by foot and bike, where it works pretty good! Even the UI on your Server is fine for beginners, I recommended it multiple times to friends.
Now i noticed a strange routing behaviour: I tried to route by car to a distant place (Garmin routing setting: car/motorcycle) and my Garmin tried to take me multiple times over highway=track. In Germany there seems to be an agreement, that tracks without additional tags should not be used for car navigation (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:highway%3Dtrack). Openrouteservice regards this, for example.
Is there any possibility, that your maps could regard this, too?

Once again, thanks a lot!

gis_jam

The Germans seem to think that routing should follow what they are doing, but it cannot possibly work that way. In most countries on this planet driving on tracks is allowed and often the norm. I can’t see anybody implementing a routing engine that will check whether a particular track is in Germany or not to decide whether to route over it or not. Certainly, I can’t see mkgmap implementing this.

I suggest you object to this in the appropriate German forum and the talk page for the wiki entry that you have linked to.

Worse: I have just discovered that Garmin’s own soft and firmware will happily route cars over walkways, unless they are specifically restricted. Now THAT I do not follow…

Hi Beddhist, thanks for your reply. I understand that the worldwide community will never use the tags in an absolutely identical way. But isn’t it unthinkable that a worldwide routable map should regard the regional characteristics? This service by Lambertus offers pre-defined regions for Download. Would it be problematic, that these regional datasets use the tags in a region-specific way? I think the commercial providers just do that…

Greetings, gis_jam

@gis_jam, how about avoid unpaved roads?
Btw, it is possible to adapt the styles so country specific rules can be added. Something like mkgmap:country=DEU & highway=track {add motorcar=no}

No idea, sorry. Can’t hurt to try though…

I certainly isn’t unthinkable. Indeed that would be great! But (there’s always a but), I can’t see any doable way to achieve this with my resources and tools.

This is why you pay them money…

Does it help if you configure the GPS to avoid unpaved roads?

I’m aware that this service doesn’t produce the ideal map for each country and each situation. It’s very generic which also means it’s not perfect. If you want a map that works better then you can have a look at any of the other map providers, many of whom specialize in a specific region or usage, or consider contributing to e.g. the Mkgmap project to make the software better…

How should a routing engine ‘know’ that a track is in Germany and not in, say, Belgium just across the border? The track would have to be tagged as German. That’s an additional redundant tag. You can be certain that many, if not most mappers wouldn’t put it in.

The alternative would be for the mkgmap programmers to add code to the compiler to check whether a track is inside the German border. I can imagine how hard that would be. And that’s just for one country. Then people will come along and say that in Undertibuktustan some other restriction does or does not apply and it is therefore implied and would the programmers please add code for that. They did it for Germany, Switzerland and Austria…

No, the Germans have to conform to the rest of the world and not the other way round. (I’m taking the liberty to say that as a German.)

If Openrouteservice works like that then I suspect that routing outside German speaking countries (I think they all work the same) will not work correctly.

E.g. Garmin buy their data from official sources and then compile the maps from that. So, it’s easy for them to add restrictions to all tracks.

If you need this kind of routing then you can quite easily compile your own map with mkgmap.

You mean to say that the code to determine what country any given coordinate is in is already in mkgmap? Or does it rely on tags?