Name finder - can not find "Herderstraße, Ingolstadt"

I am trying to find an address in Ingolstadt, Germany with name finder. Should be quite easy … so I type “Herderstr, Ingolstadt” and start searching.

The result is located in “Neustadt” which is about 25 km away from Ingolstadt.

I dont understand why because …

… the street “Herderstraße” is definatelly in the map in Ingolstadt
… I can find other streets in Ingolstadt without any problems
… name finder states about itself: “You can find anything in the OpenStreetMap database which has been given a name …”

If you know why than please leave a post…

I understand that the namefinder is having some difficulties at the moment.

…if there are any problems at the moment with the “name finder”, it could be a good idea to inform the user about this problem (a little statement near the search box/ result box would help a lot)
Ingo

OSM doesn’t generally do that. There’s an awful lot of hardware and software behind the project, if the administrators put notices up publicly for every issue it would be too much. That said, there’s a notice on the status page on the Wiki.

Ok - is there a bug tracking system where I can leave an error report or something. “OpenStreetBugs” sounds a little bit like it but it only takes bugs within the map itself - no bugs for tools or other infrastructure.

The bug tracking system for the OSM website is http://trac.openstreetmap.org/
You can choose the namefinder component when reporting a bug.

@Alex McKee
Again:
.if there are any problems at the moment with the “name finder”, it could be a good idea to inform the user about this problem (a little statement near the search box/ result box would help a lot); otherwise the frist impression of openstreetmap would be: “it doesn’t even know the main road in my city”
I am somehow upset about this issue: I try to promote openstreetmap and now I see that the maps that I included in other pages don’t work anymore because the street is not indicated anymore (this issue exists at least for some weeks now, it is not just a status message; it seems to be a real bug)…

Vclaw has given you the bug tracker URL, that’s all that can be done. I’m not in charge of the namefinder, by the way, just in case you got that impression - far from it: I am nothing to do with it.

I appreciate that you’re not happy with it - so please make a bug report. :slight_smile:

I just created a ticket (#1708) … I am curious about its lifecycle :wink: