Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Lambertus
I have since found that the OSM routable maps that I had loaded to my GPS60Cx earlier this year which contained the AU-Albury tile, did show Duncan Rd, Sarsfield. So something has changed since then to make it not show up in the maps I . Can you advise when the upcoming changes you refer to will take effect?
Many thanks.

Great Program…

Would like to ask some help on this matter. I have tried to down load both (several and alternatively couiple of maps) but after running the .exe file, the Mapsource shows a bland map where the selected maps are located?

Would this be a corrupt download or is the Map-source the wrong version?

Well, I don’t know what caused the road to disappear if it was still visible early this year because, afaik, the boundary filtering is applied for longer then that. But the boundary filtering is still the primary suspect, which should be fixed when I release the next website update. For that to happen I need to make sure that both map servers are updated as well. I’m still working on the custom map server, the country map server is ready.

If the .exe ran without problems then it’s something else (the .exe has built-in sanity checks). Providing a MapSource version number would be handy :wink:

Normal MapSource procedure is (after installing the map):

• select the map from the dropdown menu
  • zoom out to 3000 km
  • look for a small yellow blob on the screen
  • zoom in on the blob
  • below e.g. 1km you should really see roads

If not, press ctrl+g twice to clear the MapSource cache and try again. I don’t know what’s wrong if it still doesn’t work after this.

Lambertus

You are the Guru.

Mapsource 6.16.3

The "ctrl+g"twice worked perfect. All the map details came out so its working now.

Thanks so much, I been trying to get workable OSM into my GPS for 2 weeks from splitting to MKGmap to everything. I can sleep once again.

Hi!

Have several suggestions for generated maps…
1)-- removed, seems that only I have that problem…

1. it could be great to see building numbers at the map:
    file points
    mkgmap:housenumber!=* & addr:housenumber=* { set mkgmap:housenumber=‘${addr:housenumber}’ }
    file polygons
    mkgmap:housenumber!=* & addr:housenumber=* { set mkgmap:housenumber=‘${addr:housenumber}’ }
    building=* | man_made=* | amenity=* | tourism=* {name ‘${addr:housenumber}’} [0x13 resolution 22]

I suppose the first lines are from default style of new mkgmap to support map indexing… only last line is enough.

1. still would be good to have option to generate map with “code-page=1251” parameter… Like enabling Mapnik style is done

Convenient shortcut for this procedure is to press “Ctrl -”.

I don’t know if this is the right thread for this, but the ocean in the UK gmapsupp is missing around Liverpool.

Is it normal for woods and wetlands to show up as lines in mapsource and basecamp? I suspect its because there is no typ file but I really dont know.

regards

Yes, those are the default renderings, and provide a good reason to create a TYP file.

Reports of users with the new Etrex 10/20/30 series show that it is a decision at Garmin.
On these new models cars will be routed on cycleways and footpaths no matter what the OSM access rules are saying…

Your latest update is missing a street that was there previously: 49.065417,-122.291247

Its missing McCallum Rd which links to Abbotsford-Misson Highway.

Tile “CA-Abbotsford” @ http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/09-10-2011/63240393.img

It was there in the September 30 build? Not sure why it is not there in the latest build (October 9).

I don’t believe there was any changes on OSM to cause this change.

Edit:

Update: It is missing a huge section of Highway 1 in Abbotsford, BC also.

Hi lambertus,
First I noticed that country files like Osm routable mapsource are smaller than the one before, for ex for Algeria 57Mo to 33 Mo and the last ‘09/10/2011’ is 12Mo, I thought that Mkgmap made some new dev in compression but the last version lot of highway disapeared, and some streets in my town also. What is the issue? and thanks

shawnsumin & sabri66 thank you for the reports. Via email I also received:

I guess something has gone quite wrong during this update and I’ll revert back to the previous one.

Thanks!
FYI - I’m still seeing this issue with a map I downloaded 5 minutes ago.

Reverted to the old version just now. Had no time earlier to do it…

Hi Lambertus,

many thanks for you online project it is great!
I am just interested if it is possible to build map based on opencyclemap?
I need map for hiking and opencyclemap is much more helpful in this case.

best regards

mira

Have you looked at Openmtbmap.org – Mountainbike and Hiking Maps based on Openstreetmap?

Note: I have not used it myself as there are hiker specific maps for the areas that I am interested in.

Yes, we are planning to release a world wide version of my Openfietsmap (fiets=cycling in Dutch), it’s now available for the Benelux and Germany on my website.
Depends when Lambertus gets his server ready, any progress Lambertus?

Thank you for link … very interesting. Actually in this case I am searching more for hikers maps too.
Especially what I missing are “contours” … generally I need more TOPO information.

The problem can be also partly on my side too …
I just bought my very first GPS (Garmin 78s) and both maps
( from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ and from http://openmtbmap.org/))
doesn’t show contour and others TOPO details for hiking.

Moreover I am using linux … I am just copying *.img files to garmin/ directory.

Maybe I do something wrong?

regards

mira

That’s great … I am interested in South America maps now. It will be also possible to get them in cycling version?

regards

mira