Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

RoadTrip for Mac is no longer supported (since 2 years).
Garmin recommends BaseCamp. BaseCamp is the one and only Garmin software for the Mac.

When I select a couple of tiles and have a gmapsupp.img rendered, it would be nice if I could give a name. That could be used with the --description parameter of mkgmap and I could identify that map more easily on my device. To a lesser extent I’d also like the option of changing the name of the img file (–mapname) and the product ID (–product-id).

But, foremost: Thanks for that great service. It’s really really nice to have that.

Hi Lambertus,
The last update september 10 didn’t take into account the mod I 've done on my town (before 10/09), new streets, roundabout etc while in OSM it 's updated
so Garmin map is different to OSMap
explanation please and Thks

Agreed to all points, but -as always- time is lacking to implement this

But there are 3-rd party applications that can do this work for you when you’ve downloaded the maps. (i.e. GMTK but there are others as well).

There hasn’t been an update on September 10th. The current map version is of 12-08-2011 (which remembers me to run a new update now that I’m back from holidays), you can see the current map version directly below the slippy map on the website.

Will it be possible to run the updates with the new style? It’s ready as far as I can see, looking forward for your opinion :roll_eyes:

The new site seems ready for it but afaik the custom server isn’t yet. I would like to have the new site running privately and reasonably tested first before throwing it out there.

When can we expect the next build?

It’s uploading, hopefully without problems.

Well, there was a problem: the custom server was not online at the critical moment in the update process, so I had to finish the final steps manually. But a new version is finally online.

Is it possible to download the mapnik typ file seperately from a predefined country?

See this topic

Oops, thanks a lot!

Is it actually a new version? Any changes since at least September 6 aren’t reflected in my area (Victoria, BC, Canada). I’d appreciate it if you could check and make sure the right version got uploaded.
Thanks
Andrew

I’m sure the current version is not a copy of the previous one. But it’s possible that the incremental process that keeps my planet copy updated is sometimes missing changes. I’ll download a fresh planet and run a new update this weekend.

Hi, I am new here and have one question, I downloaded several .img files from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ for the USA; now I put this on my SD card and put this into my Garmin Nüvi 350, but I cannot see the maps of the selected states; what am I doing wrong? Do I still need to do something? For any help I would appreciate it; next Tuesday I am going to the US and hopefully by then I have got the system working :wink: , BR A-G

Separate .img files cannot be read by your GPS. They need to be combined into a single container (confusingly also named .img). Some devices support multiple containers though.

So you need to combine the .img files into a single container .img (usually named gmapsupp.img). There are multiple ways and applications that can do this for you. Selecting the tiles on the website and request the server to make them into a map is one such way. You’ll receive a download link from which you can download the gmapsupp.img.

But, since you’re going to the US, you can also download large portions using Dave Hansen’s work who has done the work -as described above- for you:

http://daveh.dev.openstreetmap.org/garmin/Lambertus/

Hi Lambertus…

I’ve been trying to download a custom set of tiles for the last day or two but when I enter my email address and click the button I receive a server timed out error. I just thought I’d let you know in case you weren’t aware of the problem. Many thanks for this invaluable service! :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s unfortunate but the custom map server appears to suffer from a hardware and/or software problem which causes it to freeze up regularly. The administrator is trying hard to find a solution, but it’s not fixed yet. If the connection to the server times-out then the server is almost certainly in a freezed state. Perhaps it’s wise to check the server status below the slippy map before attempting to request a custom map.

It should be accepting requests again since this morning 08:00 CET (GMT+1)

I’m probably not the first one to ask this question, but I can’t find tha answer. When I download a map of for example the Benelux for mapsource it is called osm_routable_mapsource.exe. installation works fine and I can work with the map in mapsource. Next I downloaded a map of France, the filename of the download has the same name as the other map and during installation it overwrites the map of the Benelux. Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong?

If you search on OSM with the term “Duncan Rd, Sarsfield” the results show, correctly, “Duncan Rd, Sarsfield 3885, Victoria, Australia”, and described as “Unclassified Road”. However if I look at Duncan Rd on OSM in Edit mode, it is described as “Tertiary Road”. What is more interesting is that if I request the tile that contains Duncan Rd (AU-Albury) and install it to Mapsource, Duncan Rd is not visible at all, even with Map Detail set to highest. All other Tertiary Roads nearby show up OK.

Can you advise what is going wrong.

Thanks