Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I know there is something ā€˜not entirely optimalā€™ going on with the website (itā€™s fixed for the next website release).

In the mean time it would be best to change the TYP file selection after you select the country, perhaps you should even do this if you donā€™t want a TYP file included (change to Mapnik and then back to None). This will trigger the ā€œcheck for existing mapā€ function.

Thkx for the quick reply!

Looks to be fixed nowā€¦

I just downloaded the New Zealand tiles and there has been a big improvement. Everything works fine for down to and including the 200km scale. As soon as I drop below that from 150km and below, I lose everything east of a line that seems to be at E1273.94520.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

Thanks Lambertus!

Peter

No, itā€™s not fixed. The problem just doesnā€™t show up everytime.

Sorry I have to disappoint you again, but Iā€™m still not quite getting whatā€™s wrong in that area after looking at the data.

Hi Lambertus!

A suggestion to ease server load: The downloading of ā€œpredefined countriesā€ in Europe at least, is of little use. Rarely anyone can do with the map of a single country, at least not when travelling.
Would it be possible to also create ā€œpredefined regionsā€, such as ā€œthe Alpsā€, ā€œBeNeLuxā€, ā€œthe Balkansā€, i.e. regions that are needed more often together than on their own.
In return, you could remove some smaller states altogether, like Lichtenstein or Monaco which might never be useful on their own.

Also, it would be GREAT if one could save his own tileset in order to load it at a later time to download the newest map of the same region.

regards,
Sulla

If I leave the tile WS-Apia out (and donā€™t get Easter Island of course), the map compiles just fine and I get the gmapsupp file and all the others. Maybe Mkgmap doesnā€™t know Easter Island is chilean.

Iā€™ll load the New Zealand maps from MapSource into my Garmin GPS and see if they display okay. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Lambertus,

Peter

Just tested the New Zealand maps after I downloaded them to my Garmin GPSmap 76CSx and all of the detail is showing up at various zoom levels. It seems that the problem is just with MapSource.

Cheers,

Peter

ā€œTry Basecamp.ā€ (C) Garmin support ā€¦

Basecamp has other issues. The latest releases (from 3.2.1) doesnā€™t support OSM access rules anymoreā€¦
Cyclists will be routed on major highways or steps, even motorcars will take cycleways etc.
This sucksā€¦

You lost me there. What has Basecamp got to do with OSM? Does it read OSM files?

I just had to test it with a map I compiled myself from OSM and the routing works as expected.

BTW: a new version is out.

Cheers,
Peter.

That is exactly the problem :wink: Basecamp (read: Garmin) has nothing with OSM.

OSM Garmin maps compiled with mkgmap are not compatible anymore with the latest versions of Basecamp. :frowning:

See also https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=104115&postcount=48

Ligfietser, have you tried BaseCamp 3.2.2?
Just tried Lambertusā€™ latest map for Amarillo, TX, USA, (BaseCamp 3.2.2), routing preference set to Bicycling. Start point was Ambasitor (sp) hotel, end point was Rick Husband Airport. The bicycling route stayed on residential streets as much as possible. When I re-set routing to Automobile it followed the Interstate and also used the very Texas peculiar ramp access to get to the Interstate.

Could it be a mkgmap bug?

Basecamp 3.2.2 and 3.2.1
This behaviour is reported by several other people and affects also maps compiled with cgpsmapper. So its not likely a mkgmap bug, since it does not appear on Mapsource nor on the gps (yet). Iā€™m afraid it will appear soon if Garmin is updating the GPS firmware to make it compatible with the new Basecamp standards.

Ouchā€¦ I just reproduced the error in a map I compiled with cgpsmapper. Route runs from a point on a main road to another point on a main road. The route is paralleled by a bike path. Routing preference set to Bicycle. MapSource exits the main road, takes the bike path, and re-enters the main road. BaseCamp stays on the main road.

I see what you mean now. OSM = Third Party Maps.

I only did a quick test on a Thailand map I compiled myself and it worked.

Letā€™s remember one thing: Garmin supports only Garmin products. If you load another map into their software or GPS you are on your own. They have now moved to the NT format and it seems that this is the only format they now work on. Nobody has been able to hack this yet, so we are now left behind. Itā€™s the Apple closed-system business model.

Perhaps itā€™s time we left Garmin behind and started looking for alternative, more open devices, like Android, WinPhones or even TomTom (runs Linux, no?). If we had navigation s/w written by OSM programmers then we wouldnā€™t struggle with workarounds like we do now.

Personally, I have shelled out 600 $US for my Zumo. I bought it, because itā€™s the only GPS suitable for a motorcycle into which I can load OSM and Polish format maps. Itā€™s my 3rd and most likely last Garmin. When the time comes to replace it Iā€™ll be looking for another kind of device.

OK, enough of that. We will have to live with Garminā€™s products for now. If BC doesnā€™t work for us then letā€™s just stick with MS, which mostly works now.

Cheers,
Peter.

Yes, I have the same issue with my selfbuild map in BC. :frowning:

The question is: Bug in BC or design decision at Garmin (to break OSM maps on Garmin) ā€¦

Chris

Hi Lambertus,
Thanks for the work youā€™ve done, the adress search problem is solved for the nuvi1390, first I downloaded the files each separately for Algeria the method didnt work, so after when I downloded the country osm_routable_mapsource.exe and installed mapsource, mapsource indexed the address and now when I type A for Algeria it display it with the other Eurpean contries ,city and street works . SO THHHAAANNNKKKS YYYYOOOUUU

Youā€™re welcome sabri, but the thanks goes entirely to the Mkgmap development community (of which Iā€™m not an active member, but they deserve all the kudoā€™s they can get) :slight_smile:

RoadTrip for Mac is no longer supported (since 2 years).
Garmin recommends BaseCamp. BaseCamp is the one and only Garmin software for the Mac.