Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thank You for answering. Yesterday I installed the mapsource exe file. Very nice and simple. The osm-data and its users, the lots of free software and maps, show me , that it is possible and really an alternative to commercial maps. Most osm-maps are more actual and on top for free, admitting with bugs and less routing possibilities, but it is in a constant upgrade-process.
On your map, there are no different colours for e.g. the northsea on my garmin oregon, only a blue borderline. So you cannot simply recognize the sea. Therefore I tried to install a separate TYP-file with MAPSetToolKit, but it is not possible. Can you help me ?

There are problems with coastlines in the map making process at the moment, so it might not be a rendering problem which you could fix with a TYP file. I’ve not played with TYP files yet so i cannot help you there, but I know the TYP file has a family name which should match the family name of the map. I’m going to add an (optional) TYP file to the maps soon, hopefully.

Hi Lambertus,

first: Thank you for your service “the routable world” :slight_smile:

I’ve downloaded the usa a few days ago and I will test it when I get a bigger sd card :slight_smile: Today I’ve downloaded germany. The generated map are not to big, so I’ve put it on my garmin directly, but I could’nt see anything. The map view is empty while the map is activated. Ok thougt I try some single tiles. I had selected a tile, then a link was shown for download. I have downloaded the “63240081.img” and renamed it to “gmapsupp.img” after putting it on my garmin nothing was shown :frowning:

And the reason is

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>404 Not Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL /~lambertus/garmin/routable/63240081.img was not found on this server.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at 93.186.179.76 Port 80</address>
</body></html>

Is it a status during the weekly synchronization with OSM?

Bye,
Frida

This doesn’t address the missing files issue, but you can’t normally rename an IMG file to gmapsupp.img. A gmapsupp.img has added information, and may combine multiple IMG files into a single gmapsupp.img.

You’ll probably need to use something like MapSource, or Sendmap 2.0, or an OSM installer.

No, I’m sorry. I tried to make my life a bit easier for updating the maps Friday evening by changing the website and the software on the server a bit. But unfortunately I introduced a few major bugs, which I thought I had fixed that night (it became an ‘awake all night’ operation). But yesterday evening, when I checked if everything was still ok, I noticed that one bug was still there: it removed the source tiles from which the combined tiles are created when the combine request finished. So if one user requested a tile then the next would not be able to use it.

Because I am away most of this weekend I cannot fix the problem, and also a new set of maps has to be created to replace the ones that were deleted. This will take a few days as a result of that. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Regarding the gmapsupp.img: you cannot rename a Garmin tile (e.g. 63240081.img) to the mapset gmapsupp.img and expect it works on the Garmin. There is a fundamental difference between a map tile and a mapset.

I suggest to book an extermintor :wink: It’s no reason to apologize to us. What kind of project is Garmin Maps? Which languages are used? Is it a one man show?

Have a nice weekend and thanks for your (Seldom/Lambertus) responses.

Mhmm… I’ve downloaded one single tile a few days ago and after renaming and putting it on the device it was working fine. I was surprised by the details :slight_smile: Sounds like a hidden feature or luck? I will retry that as soon as the service works again.

Bye,
Frida

The Garmin maps are created using Mkgmap and Splitter, both of which are opensource tools. The website and scripts to combine the maps are written in PHP and are my work, and is where the problem lies currently.

Maybe I misunderstood the differences between gmapsupp.img and a single tile, but I thought it was not possible to just rename the file and expect it to work. Would be nice if it could though…

I finally found some time to fix the bugs, but I still don’t have a complete map. I’ve started a new map building process. This will take about one day to complete…

I’m available for testing :wink:

Thank you & Bye,
Frida

I’m not sure if this is the time or the place but I just wanted to say a very, very big “thank you” for your work on the routable Garmin map (at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php)). It is much appreciated.
Cheers ! :slight_smile:

Hehe, well I screwed things up quite badly last Friday but it’s coming together quite nicely now so I hope to have new maps somewhere this evening (CET).

I love to see it being used again and see enthusiastic responses on this and other forums like GroundSpeak. Projects like this can bring OpenStreetMap much needed publicity to an audience to whom they would normally not come in contact.

Der_Frida, if you want me to contact you then please add an email address to your forum profile.

Update: I have no idea what’s going on, but some of the recently generated maps cause MapSource to crash (at least version 6.13.7). Somehow it seems that this just doesn’t want to work… :frowning:

Update: The tiles that crash MapSource work fine on my GPS so I leave them on the server and add a warning on the website. If MapSource crashes because of a bad tile then the popup will list the name of that file. You can safely delete that file and restart MapSource. It will not harm your computer or MapSource installation permanently :slight_smile:

Update: I added cache prevention for the KML files, so the browser always loads the latest version.

I found the http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php web site a couple of weeks ago. I downloaded some individual tiles and made a gmapsupp.img file with mkgmap, which worked great in a Garmin Ique 3600 and a Garmin 60CSx.

I wanted to check some modified and new POIs and roads, so I have been waiting for the tile generation bugs to be fixed. Today I have been getting “Not found” error messages when I try to download an individual tile ( tried several tiles from USA and Europe so far).
Example: http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/63240012.img

I then tried the “Build maps” button and downloaded the zip file with gmapsupp.img, that img is not
recognized in either the Ique 3600 or the 60CSx.

I want to thank Lambertus for this wonderful capability to download a routable garmin map for anywhere in the world with the latest OSM data!

Ha, that is… an option :slight_smile:

That is a bug that I hadn’t found yet…thanks for reporting it.

This is strange, because it works on my 60CSx. Did you extract the img from the zip and placed that img in the /Garmin folder on the SD-card?

You are welcome!

Lambertus wrote:
“This is strange, because it works on my 60CSx. Did you extract the img from the zip and placed that img in the /Garmin folder on the SD-card?”

Doh! Of course I unzipped, but I was using a fresh microSD card (that came with the 60CSx) and forgot
to make a garmin folder.

I forget whether I requested tiles from California or France, but it seems that what I got seems to be from
Poland.

The tile layout on the world map seems to have very nearly the same sizes and layout as before, but the
tile numbers are very different.

Again you found a bug, this time in the map making process where the maps from America are renamed from 6xxxxxxx.img to 7xxxxxxxx.img in order to avoid naming conflicts with the other tiles. This works fine, but I forgot to rename those numbers in the KML used for the website as well.

It’s fixed now. Sorry.

Yehaaa… I’ve downloaded whole Germany and put it on my device and everything works fine. I think the major bugs are fixed.

Thanks & have a nice weekend.

Hi Lambertus,
I tried to install the routable maps of the centre of NL, but they keep crashing in mapsource:
tiles 63240105 and 63240103, I use mapsource 6.13.7

That’s indeed what the red line on top of the webpage says. It’s probably because you are lucky to live in one of the most densely mapped areas in the world. This is probably a bug in Mkgmap, I’m trying to debug it.

I also downloaded from http://www.team-oid.de/garmin_maps/ the maps of NL, which are routable and working so it should be possible. Those maps produce weird errors however on my Garmin Etrex, like in case of a left turn the direction on the screen shows a right turn-off, navigation on motorways for cyclists etc. so I wonder how your maps were doing. :sunglasses:

My maps are currently also leading cyclists onto a motorway for longer routes unfortunately. I have already reported this behavior to the Mkgmap dev list.

Regarding the maps that crash MapSource: I guess it’s a question of luck if a tile causes it, because when I split the world again it might be that that area isn’t causing the problem that time. For example: in my previous version the north scandinavian tile caused MapSource to crash, I don’t know if it still does with this version.