Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Do you have a preference?

Makes no difference to me, I only compile maps for my own temporary use. I just want to stay in sync. I did spot v2009…

2008 or 2009 have no differences in the style sheets, but I would recommend building the gmapsupp.img with the same mkgmap version if that is not too difficult?
If we introduce a basic typ file sooner or later, the gmapsupp must be compiled with this typ file as well so the styles should be the same.

Ok, the installed Mkgmap version on the Country server barfs on Chille:

I’ll try a newer one (r2009)…
Edit: Nope, practically the same error:

No idea what’s going on here…

Dear Lambertus: first feedback: great service, thanks for the same.

One request for an improvement: Would be great if a list of countires could be selected, like Germany+Austria+Switzerland+Italy. Currently it seems only to be possible to select one country and then individual tiles.

Thanks!

Thank you for your kind comment. I’ll keep your idea in mind (there are also other options for quickly selecting more then one country that I’m looking into).

Hi,

First of all what a great service!
Yesterday first tried the OpenstreetMap, and i must say the map looks great on a Garmin Edge 705 using the Mapnik TYP file.

Question / request is to also use the same Mapnik TYP file on the Belgium map, don’t know if this is possible?

Thkx!

What Belgium map are you referring to?

Well… not much help around here to get a complete Routable Europe Map as an .EXE fil to install in MapSource.

But now i´ve solved the problem myself… :slight_smile:

Download the .IMG files here: ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/openstreetmap/teddynetz.de/latest/

Take them through Mapset Tool kit.

Use the tutorial at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps—part-9—compiling-data/ - in ordrer to make the .EXE file with NSIS

Run the .EXE file and you have af complete cross-border routable map for Europe.

Henrik B
Denmark

Henrik B,
What are you doing with MapSetToolKit? If you’ve got a TDB file and an overview map IMG (and a TYP file if you want all the niceties) you can install them directly using MapSetToolKit. No need for an NSIS installer unless you plan to distribute.

@jmarteijn: You can use the same mapnik.typ with mapset toolkit for other countries as well, but I see what the problem is here.
If you choose a mapnik typ file, the button ‘Download map now!’ is not available only if you choose the Netherlands.
Maybe Lambertus can fix this?

I know there is something ‘not entirely optimal’ going on with the website (it’s fixed for the next website release).

In the mean time it would be best to change the TYP file selection after you select the country, perhaps you should even do this if you don’t want a TYP file included (change to Mapnik and then back to None). This will trigger the “check for existing map” function.

Thkx for the quick reply!

Looks to be fixed now…

I just downloaded the New Zealand tiles and there has been a big improvement. Everything works fine for down to and including the 200km scale. As soon as I drop below that from 150km and below, I lose everything east of a line that seems to be at E1273.94520.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

Thanks Lambertus!

Peter

No, it’s not fixed. The problem just doesn’t show up everytime.

Sorry I have to disappoint you again, but I’m still not quite getting what’s wrong in that area after looking at the data.

Hi Lambertus!

A suggestion to ease server load: The downloading of “predefined countries” in Europe at least, is of little use. Rarely anyone can do with the map of a single country, at least not when travelling.
Would it be possible to also create “predefined regions”, such as “the Alps”, “BeNeLux”, “the Balkans”, i.e. regions that are needed more often together than on their own.
In return, you could remove some smaller states altogether, like Lichtenstein or Monaco which might never be useful on their own.

Also, it would be GREAT if one could save his own tileset in order to load it at a later time to download the newest map of the same region.

regards,
Sulla

If I leave the tile WS-Apia out (and don’t get Easter Island of course), the map compiles just fine and I get the gmapsupp file and all the others. Maybe Mkgmap doesn’t know Easter Island is chilean.

I’ll load the New Zealand maps from MapSource into my Garmin GPS and see if they display okay. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Lambertus,

Peter

Just tested the New Zealand maps after I downloaded them to my Garmin GPSmap 76CSx and all of the detail is showing up at various zoom levels. It seems that the problem is just with MapSource.

Cheers,

Peter

“Try Basecamp.” (C) Garmin support …