Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I volunteer.

Liegfietser and I will have to coordinate this with his typ file.

Perhaps I will create a new topic where people can post requests, etc. relevant to the style. We need an opening post explaining what to post there and what not, as most people have no understanding what this does. I need some help with that now, as I haven’t looked at style sheets myself lately.

Where do we store the updated styles?

Cheers,
Peter.

Lambertus, I think you should know this:
I’m trying to download the 25-07-2011 predefined map of Chile but all I get on the download page is the Linux version and a couple of the .txt files, neither gmapsupp nor Mac files.
I beg you to fix this. Thank you.

@Beddhist:
Great to hear you want to help maintaining the style and typ files. I’ll send you an e-mail to discuss the details.
About type 0x07: in the default style of mkgmap this is used for cycleways AND service roads. I tried to put there an empty label (a description like “cycleway/service” doesnt look good there because those are two different kinds of roads). Unfortunately Garmin cannot render a blank label so it puts some rubbish like that small rectangle. The best way is to seperate those roads into two different garmin types, but unfortunately there are limited Garmin types which are routable. If you use a typ file by default it won’t be a problem, then we can use overlays to distinguish those roads and add even more features, like tracktype (1-5) cyclelanes etc etc

I don’t know whether Lambertus wants to use a typ by default and I also don’t know whether it’s a good idea to force it onto people. On the other hand, we should be able to force mkgmap to correctly translate lanes and walkways. In my way of thinking we should set things up so that the style will render the map as correctly as possible without a typ, which can then be used for enhancements.

Should we move this discussion into a new topic?

Cheers,
Peter.

Or we can continue here: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=10032

Otto,

I seems Lambertus has cycled his system. Go and have a new map built!

Regards,
Peter.

Thank you, that is most generous!

Ok, I did mean stylesheet and not TYP file :wink: But a TYP file would be nice too, although the Mapnik TYP is already available.

Imho it’s the Mkgmap stylesheet that has to be adapted to get a better generic routing experience. The current one includes e.g. admin boundaries level 9 and 10 in the map which confuses the hell out of people (perhaps admin level 8 also). These boundaries are not helpful if you just want to be routed somewhere and you want to be able to see what’s on the map.

The same thing applies perhaps to buildings as well. They are fine if you want to have a topographic map but they clutter the map if you simply want to see where you are on route. My prefiltering used to leave them out because of this but more and more useful information is combined with these buildings (POI, housenumbers etc). So the buildings should be available to Mkgmap so it can use the information but the stylesheet can leave them out so they don’t appear on the map.

I hope this demonstrates what I’m looking for (maybe others have something to say about this as well?): a clean generic routable map, but fully functional. Imho, this requires a better Mkgmap stylesheet then the default one and perhaps a TYP file too, but I’m not convinced we really need a TYP to achieve that goal.

Comparing to the default stylesheet, I don’t think there is need for big changes, just some tweaks. Maybe these can even be backported tot the default stylesheet at a later point.

Good idea. Please do.

Some place where other people can contribute too? Perhaps the Mkgmap SVN would be nice or OpenStreetMap SVN, perhaps Sourceforge, even something like shared storage space might be suitable (but a version control system would be preferable).

Something totally different:
The first worldwide version of Openfietsmap Lite (using Ligfietser’s stylesheet and TYP) is being uploaded to the country server at this moment. I’m working to get the webserver prepared to host the map. I understand, from Ligfietser’ comments, that it contains some Dutch names and other Dutch-specific stuff, but it will be a nice test and hopefully already quite usable.

Can’t wait to download it :roll_eyes:

Most dutch labels have been translated into English (maybe I forgot a few) but routing is based on the Dutch traffic rules. Like footways that are mostly non routable (because we have a nice infrastructure of bike paths here)
and trunk roads are forbidden too. In other parts of the world maybe the routing should be set to foot instead of bicycle to get better results, we will see. Also avoidance of ‘highways’ should not set on, because bike paths are on this map the major highways :wink:

I have created an SVN repository at https://mkgmap-style-sheets.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Minko and myself are the owners.

The issue tracker is here: http://code.google.com/p/mkgmap-style-sheets/issues/list

Lambertus: I need an email address that ‘corresponds to a Google a/c’ so I can add you.

Minko: go ahead and add some issues into the tracker, so we can test this out. I can then start creating the stylesheet.

Regards,
Peter.

I still get the same with new cycle: only Linux, tiles.txt and country.txt.
Lambertus, please fix it. I need to check my edits to OSM.
Thanks.

Confirmed, and it only concerns Chile. 2 other countries I checked are OK. Strange: first it gives me a download link, the next time I try it wants me to enter my email, the next time the download link is back.

UK includes 2 tiles of the E Mediterranean. Palestine and Crete no longer belong to the Brit Empire…

Otto: if you are in a hurry download the tiles from the main page, d/l MapSetToolkit and use that to install the tiles into MapSource. That’s what I used to do, only I also compiled my own map, because I didn’t want to wait for a month…

The licence file on the d/l for Andorra says:

Map created with mkgmap-r1946

The main page (static, obviously) lists an even older version. I want to use the same version here for testing the style sheet that you use, so please let me know when you change versions.

Hmm, it occurred twice in two different updates. There must be something wrong with your edits :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll check it out.

Thanks for checking.

If I’m correct then the email option is shown first while the system is checking for an existing map. If something goes wrong with the ‘check for existing map’ function then the email option remains visible.

I blame the evil Cloudmade country polygons! I know these should be updated but didn’t think it was that important.

I see this causes confusion, but it has to do with the multiple stages involved in creating these maps.

1. The tiles are generated on a pc at home (with r2008)
  2. The maps are combined into a gmapsupp.img and an NSIS installer using (r1946). I don’t think the gmapsupp.img building has changed much so there’s no need to constantly upgrade to the latest version. Correct me if I’m wrong please.
  3. In the past people requested to know the version of the used Mkgmap to generate the tiles so I added that as static information to the webpage (as you guessed correctly). I just forget that it’s there and perhaps I should just remove that from the webpage.

OK, 2008 it is. Thanks. Just let me know when you change it, please, so we use the same version.

Do you have a preference?

Makes no difference to me, I only compile maps for my own temporary use. I just want to stay in sync. I did spot v2009…

2008 or 2009 have no differences in the style sheets, but I would recommend building the gmapsupp.img with the same mkgmap version if that is not too difficult?
If we introduce a basic typ file sooner or later, the gmapsupp must be compiled with this typ file as well so the styles should be the same.

Ok, the installed Mkgmap version on the Country server barfs on Chille:

I’ll try a newer one (r2009)…
Edit: Nope, practically the same error:

No idea what’s going on here…

Dear Lambertus: first feedback: great service, thanks for the same.

One request for an improvement: Would be great if a list of countires could be selected, like Germany+Austria+Switzerland+Italy. Currently it seems only to be possible to select one country and then individual tiles.

Thanks!

Thank you for your kind comment. I’ll keep your idea in mind (there are also other options for quickly selecting more then one country that I’m looking into).