Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

You’re welcome.

You (and others) may note that I hope to be able to offer a marine map in the near(?) future. Please notify me if you know of a marine oriented stylesheet for Mkgmap!

The ‘water’ colours in the Waddenzee are caused by the natural=wetland (marsh) tags, not by the sea which is not generated in Lambertus maps. Because he doesn’t render the sea the strange shading occurs (I dont see this effect on my openfietsmap). You can get rid of Garmins default ugly hatched areas by using a typ file, like the optional Mapnik one.

that would be wonderful. What about OpenSeamap - would it be possible to combine the efforts somehow?

thanks ligfietser, going to try that.

Thanks for this information ligfietser. I also stumbled upon a previous email from you to the Mkgmap mailinglist which explains it a bit more (I think):

Aargh, so much to work around and keep in mind when working with this Garmin stuff …

ligfietser, it the background you are talking about an 0x4b polygon?

Good question Seldom,
I really dont know what is causing those ghosting structures. I only figured out that using a generate-sea option combined with a background polygon type 0x010100 those problems were solved. I think it’s a mkgmap bug.

GREAT service!!! Thanx, I am using it all the time!

I have a question on route calculation errors and a strange behaviour related to toll roads.
please see my posts at
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13154
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13155

thans, Sulla

Update: I’m trying to get a new update out all weekend but a Splitter process keeps crashing so I’m trying different things to get things working again. If the new version is online then I’ll start a test-run for a marine map (don’t expect much from it, but it will be interesting to see what comes out).

Lambertus, how about a cycle map based on my style and typ files? Maybe one of (western) Europe as a test?

Awesome suggestion, ligfietser! :smiley:

I would certainly like that. See, my fortune is that I do have the connections and server resources and the ability to automate things, but I don’t have the time (nor will, I have to admit) to maintain the Mkgmap stylesheets and TYP files.

So, yes, I would be glad to incorporate your cyclemap as well as you have put much effort in developing a good stylesheet and TYP file.

There are changes needed to the website and such to accompany multiple types of maps, but I look forward to implement that. Perhaps we can meet IRL somewhere to discuss this further (or by mail/etc.)?

Sounds good, we can discuss this further by mail. I think a European Openfiets/cyclemap is a great thing and maybe I can help you with customizing the default styles without those gsm antennas, pipelines, powerlines etc and who knows even a blue sea :wink:

New update is online. This was generated with the latest Mkgmap (r2008) which includes improvements in address search (assigning streets and such to placenames).

Any chance of cyclemaps for the Western Hemisphere?

Yes, coming up :smiley:

But, I didn’t have time the last few days to discuss thinks with Ligfietser. Real life and all that unnecessary stuff :stuck_out_tongue: I’m already glad to have been able to upload a new update.

Perhaps I’ll be able to start a worldwide cyclemap run this weekend (It’s easier to do a worldwide update then a Europe update with my setup and existing scripts). I’ve already performed some of the required changes to the website.

Hang in there…

:cool: I’m looking forward to that.
The OFM cycle styles need to be modified for world wide use (it’s now based on the situation in the Netherlands) though. For instance here in NL it is not allowed to cycle on Trunk roads. In the UK/London I have seen trunk roads on OSM with bike routes. In Spain some motorways are even allowed to cycle on (and I think in the US too). On my cycle maps those roads are not routable. Same for footways and bridleways (except with the tag bicycle=yes).

Another question is will you be able to render the sea? I’m looking forward to see how this will work out with the flood-blocker parameter
(mkgmap option generate-sea: extend-sea-sectors,close-gaps=6000,floodblocker,land-tag=natural=background)

Well, I tried to get this fixed by the mkgmap people, but got fobbed off. They won’t fix it, for reasons I don’t understand. We will have to live with the maps being polluted by camp grounds where there aren’t any…

This causes a more serious problem: any gas station that is a building doesn’t show up at all in the map and can’t be searched for. I was going to put a POI in the map at N49.05902 E9.27165, but I remember people saying we should not map for rendering.

As far as I can see this is a bug/feature in MS that occurs with all custom maps made by mkgmap or cgpsmapper. When zooming in, lines become thick and fuzzy, some roads and other lines can appear multiple times. The problem disappears if you zoom out one step, you pan or press Ctrl-G twice. Garmin don’t want to know, of course, because Garmin maps aren’t affected and MS is just about end of life, anyway.

That. Or make your own stylesheet I’m afraid.

Prefiltering is proving to be not very useful in the end. For the current map version the buildings are already not filtered out anymore as is admin level 8 (9 and 10 are still left out).

Again a good reason to have your own stylesheet. It’s just that I really don’t want to make and maintain my own stylesheet along with the rest. So if someone want’s to contribute to this project by maintaining a generic routing stylesheet then please do.