Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

hello all,
new to Openstreetmap and I have a beginners question I suppose… I downloaded the Netherlands map and installed it. In Mapsource the map appears with all the roads etc. but with lines instead of coloured areas. Also, when zooming in the lines thicken. This last problem is solved by zooming out and then in again. I can’t figure out how to fix the coloured areas problem. Any help much appreciated.
samsung nc10 windows xp mapsource 6.16.3

Did you download these maps from garmin.openstreetmap.nl?

yes, http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Ok, I was amazed to see water color in the Waddenzee. Didn’t know my maps could do that…

Anyway, I think the shading around the roads is one of the “improvements” made in MapSource over time. Perhaps it is possible to turn them off otherwise it’s better to downgrade to an older MapSource version. The hatched (Dutch: gearceerde) areas are a normal Garmin standard drawing method for filling areas.

ok, thanks Lamberus, I didn’t know that was Garmin standard.

It was a nice surprise to me too, water colour in the Waddenzee and even waterways.
Combined with the most recent waypoints (http://www.filo.nl/users/nopoints) I will try it for navigating the Waddenzee, beginning with a trip to Schiermonnikoog.

Thank you for creating and maintaining all this wonderful OSM stuff!

You’re welcome.

You (and others) may note that I hope to be able to offer a marine map in the near(?) future. Please notify me if you know of a marine oriented stylesheet for Mkgmap!

The ‘water’ colours in the Waddenzee are caused by the natural=wetland (marsh) tags, not by the sea which is not generated in Lambertus maps. Because he doesn’t render the sea the strange shading occurs (I dont see this effect on my openfietsmap). You can get rid of Garmins default ugly hatched areas by using a typ file, like the optional Mapnik one.

that would be wonderful. What about OpenSeamap - would it be possible to combine the efforts somehow?

thanks ligfietser, going to try that.

Thanks for this information ligfietser. I also stumbled upon a previous email from you to the Mkgmap mailinglist which explains it a bit more (I think):

Aargh, so much to work around and keep in mind when working with this Garmin stuff …

ligfietser, it the background you are talking about an 0x4b polygon?

Good question Seldom,
I really dont know what is causing those ghosting structures. I only figured out that using a generate-sea option combined with a background polygon type 0x010100 those problems were solved. I think it’s a mkgmap bug.

GREAT service!!! Thanx, I am using it all the time!

I have a question on route calculation errors and a strange behaviour related to toll roads.
please see my posts at
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13154
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=13155

thans, Sulla

Update: I’m trying to get a new update out all weekend but a Splitter process keeps crashing so I’m trying different things to get things working again. If the new version is online then I’ll start a test-run for a marine map (don’t expect much from it, but it will be interesting to see what comes out).

Lambertus, how about a cycle map based on my style and typ files? Maybe one of (western) Europe as a test?

Awesome suggestion, ligfietser! :smiley:

I would certainly like that. See, my fortune is that I do have the connections and server resources and the ability to automate things, but I don’t have the time (nor will, I have to admit) to maintain the Mkgmap stylesheets and TYP files.

So, yes, I would be glad to incorporate your cyclemap as well as you have put much effort in developing a good stylesheet and TYP file.

There are changes needed to the website and such to accompany multiple types of maps, but I look forward to implement that. Perhaps we can meet IRL somewhere to discuss this further (or by mail/etc.)?

Sounds good, we can discuss this further by mail. I think a European Openfiets/cyclemap is a great thing and maybe I can help you with customizing the default styles without those gsm antennas, pipelines, powerlines etc and who knows even a blue sea :wink:

New update is online. This was generated with the latest Mkgmap (r2008) which includes improvements in address search (assigning streets and such to placenames).

Any chance of cyclemaps for the Western Hemisphere?

Yes, coming up :smiley:

But, I didn’t have time the last few days to discuss thinks with Ligfietser. Real life and all that unnecessary stuff :stuck_out_tongue: I’m already glad to have been able to upload a new update.

Perhaps I’ll be able to start a worldwide cyclemap run this weekend (It’s easier to do a worldwide update then a Europe update with my setup and existing scripts). I’ve already performed some of the required changes to the website.

Hang in there…