Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I installed California in MapSource and searched for a few streets and every one of them worked well. Can you provide a streetname and cityname so that I can try to replicate the problem?

But unfortunately address search is still very problematic. On some older devices things work a bit better then the newer (e.g. Nuvi’s) but still not perfect. Improving this has been a slow process and there is not much I can do about that.

See e.g. Mkgmap wiki page and the Mkgmap mailinglist

I’m going back to the stable version (r1867) for the next update and it would be nice if you can test if things are any better.

Aha! That explains why I have to put via points into my routes.

If you are running the latest mkgmap now then there is a regression bug as well, that was fixed recently: amenity=shelter is rendered as camp ground. Must go and try that out.

Regards,
Peter.

Well not the latest, but one of the latest at least (can’t check now which one exactly).

A new version is up, this time rendered without powerlines and with an older Mkgmap version. This probably means that the Mapnik TYP file won’t work. Perhaps Ligfietser can give an indication of the usability of the Mapnik TYP file at this point.

I plan to continue to use the newest Mkgmap version with the next update if the problems mentioned in a few other topics on this forum still appear.

Typ file should work, altough maybe a few items have changed since r1867. You only have to take caution is that the nsis installer has been changed a lot since rev 1882 (?) so if you change it back to an earlier version of mkgmap I don’t know if this has an impact on uninstalling the osm maps.

Ah yes, good points. The newer nsis installer automatically uninstalled previous installations, the older one used to copy and overwrite only. Anyway, this is only for one week hopefully.

Update: I’m upgrading the storage for the custom maps during which the site will be disabled.

Storage for the custom maps has been enlarged from 300GB to 64TB. Yes, you read that right: sixty-four terabyte!!!

The sad thing is that only 14TB is free because it appears there are other users who use the same storage as well. Pfff, not fair I say. I’ve even been threatened not to use all the available storage, failure to adhere to this demand will likely result in receiving a visit by several people… Do you believe that? :expressionless:

Alas, I think we have to help ourselves with a mere ~10TB.

Oh well, guess it could have been worse. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks anyway…

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Note to all: There are some subtle problems with the remote storage of the custom map server which causes that some maps are not available through the webserver but at the same time the person who requested the map will have received an email that his map is ready (the map is ready, but it’s not available on the webserver). I’m trying to fix/workaround this, but if you receive a “403 Forbidden” error in your browser then you will have to request your map again. Country maps are not affected by this. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Edit: Should be fixed now, but some requests made over the last two days may have experienced the problem (i.e. 403 Forbidden).

Lambertus, I cannot thank you enough for your effort in making the maps available for Garmin users.

I don’t know if this topic has been risen before but I have not been able to find anything about it in this forum. I discovered that searching buildings by their name doesn’t work in my Garmin 60CSx. I do not care about the buildings being rendered in my GPS the way they are in OSM view but I think it would be really useful to be able to find them through search. I wouldn’t like to clutter the OpenStreetMap for other users by adding nodes (i.e. tourism:attraction) duplicating the building name just to make it searchable in Garmin devices.
Is there any possible solution to this?
Thank you very much.

I may sound weird but I don’t know if building names are indexed at all. And if they were then this would be disabled as the buildings are filtered out the OSM data at the moment. I’ll ask this on the Mkgmap list.

An email on the talk mailinglist triggered some new ideas/improvements to the site. I’ll reproduce my answer here to get your feedback as well:

Unfortunately no. At least not at the moment. The tile boundaries and numbers vary between updates which makes keeping lists up-to-date difficult.

But I can imagine that users specify their own bounding box (polygon) of interest and let the website select the appropriate tiles that fit the polygon. This already works for the countries, so it should not be a huge deal to implement for user defined polygons. Would this meet your needs?

No. Maps are updated approximately once a week.

Two options:

• They can select Austria from the drop-down menu and start downloading immediately (only one person has to request the Austria map and wait for the server to complete the request).

• If everyone selects the same tiles for their custom request then they will (currently) have to enter their email address but the server will render the custom request only once and send an email with the download link to all who entered their email.

Perhaps I should enable the check for already available maps for custom maps as well. But this will generate an AJAX request to the server for every tile (de-)selected though…

Thoughts?

I tested this with a few tiles, the result is the same. I think nüvi users have to wait until the addressing structure is fully transparent.
Funny is that most online tests about the nüvi2360 report that using OSM is supported. Looks like they all just copied from each other, never having seen the real device…

Thank you very much for your effort,
best regards.

Found another problem with the remote storage on the custom map server which caused some dead symlinks lying around. This should be fixed now, but I’m not sure if the problems of the ‘403 Forbidden’ errors are all solved.

I’ve recently been using the Canadian maps on my Mac with RoadTrip and a Garmin 60CS. The maps are great, but I’ve noticed the search is incomplete as well. The wiki for mkgmap mentions a --index option to generate a .mdr file that is related somehow to indexing and searching. Am I missing this file? Is there a way to generate it with the map download from the site?

BTW, thanks for a great site and service.

-Steve

The --index option is used and the .mdr file should be included in the .gmapi. Without these two you would not be able to find anything.

You’re welcome!

On the front page it currently states that “Maps are based on OpenStreetMap data from: 01-07-2011”.
At what frequency does this date change? I.e, when will data from say 04-07-2011 make it to the maps?

Thank you for a great service.
I really appreciate it.

A new version, based on OSM data up to 17-07-2011, is being uploaded at this moment and will become available somewhere today.

I saw on the Mkgmap mailinglist that there is a new (special) Mkgmap version that should really improve the address search (ability to find a street on devices where basic searching is already working, not supporting more GPS devices). I’m thrilled to give it a go for the next update.

Any progress on this?

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks, got it.
I take it there is no defined schedule for when the data is updated?