Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I think I fixed the installer bug for MapSource.

Now MapSource crashes on start. Your installation might not be compatible to version 6.15.3?

The installer should be compatible, it probably because of the remnants from the old installer that cause it to crash. To clean the registry delete the following registry keys:

SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\53

and

SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\50

Then reinstall the routable map only if you’ve requested the map after yesterday 12:00 CET. Otherwise let the service generate a new installer.

The registry then should contain the following key and values:

SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\53"
LOC=[installation directory]
BMAP=[installation directory]\63240000.img
TDB=[installation directory]\63240000.tdb

If your registry contains these values then MapSource should without crashing.

No, everything looks as you describe but still MapSource crashes. When I uninstall the OSM maps it is working again as expected. Strange.

If you remove all the osm maps from the registry (under the MapSource\Products) tree and then install only the routable map, what happens then? And can you post the download link you received in the email?

There are no other OSM maps in the registry. The link was http://93.186.179.76/~lambertus/garmin/routable/8d78eddb758ee64a80e3e0e8e3ad1c77/OpenStreetMap%20Garmin%20maps%20routable.exe

Ok, I found the error and corrected it. Next time you place a new request it will combine correctly for MapSource. Thanks for the report! Note: it worked already fine with MapSource versions older then 6.14.1 but not in newer versions.

I also changed the notification email so that it contains less links in an attempt to avoid it being interpreted as spam.

Install now works perfectly for mapsource 6.15.4.

Thanks so much for providing this excellent service!

While I haven’t used the installer you refer to above. (I use cgpsmapper.) A common cause of MapSource crashes is a corrupted or missing basemap.img or basemap.tdb file. It’s always a good idea to save a “last good copy” of those files. When MapSource crashes restoring those files usually sets things right.

In this case there were two bugs:

1. a mismatch between the product-id in the individual tiles and the registry key
  2. the installer inserted two of the three values in the correct registry key, but one was inserted into the wrong key. Copy/paste error.

But the installer is running fine now.

Well, people seem to have found the service now, and a significant number of the users have a peculiar interest in downloading almost every tile available. Each one requesting around 900 to 1000 MB which resulted in a disk full situation :smiley:

If all those heavy users just requested all the tiles then the caching mechanism would spring into action and this wouldn’t happen, but it seems like most requests are just a little bit different then others so a new combination has to be created and as a result slowly eating all the diskspace… Maybe I should create one download containing all the available tiles and redirect everyone who requests more then (say) 70% of the available tiles to that one…

But, it’s fun to watch all those requests being made and hope everyone enjoys it too.

Update: The requests are queuing nicely on the server now, so it’s possible you’ll have to wait a few hours. The 70% rule is now implemented, so things might speedup a little in the coming hours as the largest requests don’t need to be rendered anymore.

I just download combined maps of Australia, looking great so far…

Just wondering if its worthwhile having a pre-combined sets to make it easier for people to to download a country etc…
plus it might ease to storage and CPU re-rendering a common set.
eg Australia, GB, Germany etc…

but thanks for your work …

The problem with precombined maps (especially country specific maps, which we have in abundance already) is that you cannot easily go beyond the boundaries of those maps. Before creating this service I had a few scenario’s in my mind which I wanted to make as easy as possible for the common computer user.

Travel through multiple countries:
So if you plan a trip to go skiing and therefore travel from The Netherlands through Germany and Switserland to Austria you will need four maps, combine them yourself in MapSource and then upload to the GPS.

Locality:
If you live close to a border you might be interested in downloading parts of more then one country. Others might just rarely travel far and are therefore perhaps only interested in downloading and using a small portion of the map.

This service allows you to just select the tiles you’re interested in and wait until the combining is finished. The combining is rather easy when the splitting of the planet file is done and the Garmin maps have been created. This needs to happen anyway, even if you distribute prebuilt combined maps. Zipping the maps for individual requests isn’t that hard (if it wasn’t for the server to be busy with my other projects too). Creating custom maps saves bandwidth but costs more in CPU power and disk space, but of those I have (currently) enough.

I do think about creating prebuilt downloads for entire continents besides this service though, as there is probably somewhere an optimal point where flexibility meets ease of use, CPU power and disk space…

Good project!
I think the tiles are a bit of a weird shape. Some tiles contain much ocean and little land. It might be better to make smaller tiles which are all the same shape.

Thank you.

Well that’s a result of the current automatic tile generation tools which try to create as big tiles as possible. Some tiles could be chosen better, I agree.

I just have another comment to make it completely obvious,
can you change the “Combine Maps” button to “Build Maps”

and/or add the following on the side bar

1. select map/s (tick box to select multiple)
  2. enter email address
  3. hit button to build maps

thanks

Is it better now?

Edit: I also fixed a bug where: when people requesting almost every tile the build process resulted in no tiles at all.

Would it be possible to add to the webpage the date of the source OSM data you’ve built the tiles from so a user can tell if they need to request a new map build.

Thanks!

Yes, I’m working on that.

yeap I think its pretty obvious now, thanks,
you might also put what sort of map files it builds eg mapsource, etc…

BTW this is a great resource.