Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Update:

The custom map server is now able to process multiple requests at the same time. The server has a quadcore CPU and till now the map generation speed was limited by the speed of a single CPU core processing a single request at the time. Now up to three requests are being rendered at the same time. This should reduce the queue on the custom map server even more and is now mostly restricted to the available disk space (if there isn’t enough free disk space the processing stops until enough disk space is available again).

Unfortunately, while making this possible, I introduced a bug in the last version just before going to bed the evening before yesterday. And it happened that this bug was rather nasty: the same request was being processed by ever more threads. As you can imagine, system memory ran out quickly and the whole server stopped dead in it’s track. It even managed to corrupt the filesystem.

The next day I discovered that the server didn’t respond anymore, so I emailed the administrator to ask what was going on and he told me there was some process eating all the memory…uh oh… you can imagine I got a nasty taste about that last update when he said that…

On top of that pressure at work was severely mounting so I couldn’t do anything while being there. So late yesterday evening I was finally able to stop the processing and fix the bug after the server was rebooted once more.

See the Munin screenshot below which shows the number of simultaneously running processes on the server:

Now there is probably one person in the world that I owe a very big apology. The bug probably caused the server to send a heck of a lot of emails to one email address telling that the map was ready over and over again. Unfortunate person, if you read this: I’m very sorry!

Hey Lambertus,

Shit happens. I for one appreciate what you do for us. A big thank you.

Regards,
Peter.

Thanks Peter, but I still feel sorry for the person who got loads of the same email, perhaps more then 1000.

Anyway, a new map update is available…

Hi Lambertus, an extremely useful site, thanks for the time and effort.

I am interested in the “styles” files you are using to generate the maps. Specifically the lines file. I like the way your style groups the smaller roads (tracks, paths, unpaved roads, etc) so that they are easy to see and follow on the GPS. The style I have keeps all these attributes so that the smaller tracks tend to have gaps in them depending on the zoom level. My tweaking of the lines file is only making it worse so far. Would you be prepared to share yours or give me some pointers in this regard?

Best regards,

Hareti

There is nothing special going on, I’m using the default style file that comes with Mkgmap.

I did not use the OSM for quite some time.

LAst week I tried downloading some Slovenian maps for my Garmin. (Using the manual selection)
I did not receive the confirmation mail, nor the map info.

I have switched of the SPAM filtering but this did not help either.

Is there anything I can have done wrong?

Kind regards

Some technical problems (i.e. programming errors) manifested last week so it’s probably best if you request your map again. Please contact me again if the problem persists.

I Tried this morning and I Just Tried again.

I get this statement

But I never get any Email

Kind regards

PS:
It is a grate site though

Hmm, I just tried and get the confirmation email within a minute so it’s most probably a problem on your side. Have you tried with another email address? Checked your spam folder?

I did a check with my provider.

It appears that I use SAV. (sender adress verification) You seem to use a non existing “from”
Since this blocks a lot of SPAM I would like to keep that.

I assume other users will have the same problem with this.
Maybe you could introduce an existing No-reply@… address.

Kind regards
Menno

Thank you for this information. The From address does really exist (lot’s of people reply to the email asking questions) but the hostname of the server that sends the email differs from the address that people should reply to, so I’ve now changed the From header to the sender email address (the custom map server) and added a new Reply-To header.

Can you check if this works for you?

Hi Lambertus,

I sent you an E-mail with some info.
Did you receive this?
It does not work jet.

Kind regards

Yes, sorry for not responding yet. I’m uncertain how to proceed to solve this and are looking around for a solution. I will come back to you whether I find a solution or not.

No problem.

for myself I know how to solve it.
Just temporarily switch off the SAV control If I want to download.

Kind regards

No problem.

for myself I know how to solve it.
Just temporarily switch off the SAV control If I want to download.

Kind regards

Hello Lamertus, Many thanks for your great service. I have just come back from holiday in Turkey, Dalaman to Antalya area. We covered 700 miles. I used your maps and they were great. The only problem I encountered was Mapsource was not able to calculate a route between two points using roads except very short routes. It just produced a straight line. I had to create waypoints, tranfer these to my gps (Garmin Quest) and get the gps to do the route calculation. I am using Ver. 6.13.7 Mapsource. Have I read somewhere that Ver. 5.?? works better? Thanks again. Regards. Chris.

I’ve uploaded the Turkey map to my GSPmap60CSx, created a new route between the places Dalaman and Antalya, enabled demo mode and routing went fine (using the D400 highway for most of the trip). The same worked find in MapSource. I do notice that most streets in Antalya don’t have a name yet, but that doesn’t matter in this case.

No idea if it’s the GPS difference (Quest vs GPSmap60) or some settings.

In this test I used MapSource 6.16.3. I never heard about a MapSource 5.x version let alone that it is better then 6.x so my advice would be to stick with 6.x.

Hello !

I would like a complete EUROPE map with a “osm_routable_mapsource.exe” file for MapSource, but i can´t download all Tiles in one file.

Has anyone made that file, or what do i do ?

Anyone ?

B.rgds.

Henrik
Denmark

Hi Henrik,

I suggest you download the tiles for the countries only. You can then use MapSetToolKit to install them into MS.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter >> Yep… but i can´t make cross-border routes with each country in seperate files… :frowning:

Henrik B