Problems Entering "State/Province" Name on Garmin nuvi 200

For the benefit of other users: may I ask what you’ve done to fix your problems?

Hello Again,

From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download, I clicked on the link: North America and scrolled down to the link: OSM dev server user daveh under the column heading, United States.

I downloaded the map with the longitudinal co-ords relating to the region I required and copied this onto a 4GB memory card. I renamed my New Zealand maps to NZgmapsupp.img and then renamed the new maps gmapsupp.img.

This worked except it does not allow me to enter in addresses. It is still invaluable though. Each time I have arrived at a location that I wish to return to, I go to tools/where am I? on my Garmin 1490 and then store the location as a favourite. That way I am able to return to that address from anywhere. Being new in the city, I’m especially pleased to have the confidence that I can always find my way home.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards
Paul

my underdstanding is that you must use the mkgmap locator branch to then generate a map file to import in Mapsource, then create the gmapsupp.img file from within Mapsource and upload it in the device- this would then allow the actual address search in the garmin device. A img file created directly from mkgmap is (still) not allowing a proper address search.

Any osm/mkgmap-guru can confirm this understanding is correct? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I have downloaded some part of the USA maps (eg. New York, California) to my Garmin nuvi 765T, which I bought with the EU maps. Everything works fine for the OSM maps except the address search. It does not shows any country or state when I choose Where To=> Address. When I tried searching a City or Street it gives no match.

Searching POI like Disneyland using Spell also returns nothing.

The OSM map file resides in my SD card as gmapsupp.img.

Best rgds

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx. Earlier maps I used allowed me to enter a street name or intersection search and I could successfully find the address I was after. This worked on maps from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ for South Africa, as well as for Prague and some places I visited in Germany. The last map tile I downloaded where this worked was from 30 April 2011. The map tiles I downloaded since then (21 and 31 May) now don’t allow an address search; they just come up with “None Found”.

Therefore, this is a recent development. Something in the way the maps are being made or compiled is different since the end of April. I have not changed anything on my GPS unit; I have not updated any software. The change seems to be in the maps I’m downloading from the same source as always.

I am aware of the “City/State” search criteria when looking for a street address on other GPS units because I have had that on one of the Garmin Nüvis and on a Garmin GPSMAP 60 or 62. On those units I was also not able to search for an address as others have described in this thread. But those maps did work on my Etrex.

Any ideas whether the software being used to make the *.img files that I can download from the website mentioned above has changed and is causing the problem?

Thanks
Stef

See this thread.

I have a Garmin nuvi 200. I have an openstreet map tile from Colorado/USA loaded on an SD card while I have the default Garmin map on the unit itself. I have found that if you do the adress search on the default map on the unit and let it load the route then you can switch to your openstreet map on the SD and it won’t cancel the route. Of course you must keep the default map updated to get the current streets/adresses. I tested it and it will reroute onto new roads on the openstreet map when you switch and press detour.
Just an FYI.

Seem like this state-province thing is actually not that broken at all, it just seems that the addresses are now linked to wrong cities/provinces. With map of finland (geofabrik and cloudmade) I first split, then extract the boundaries like this (osmosis-0.39)

bin/osmosis \
 --read-xml file="../finland.osm" outPipe.0=1 \
 --tee 2 inPipe.0=1 outPipe.0=2 outPipe.1=3 \
 --buffer inPipe.0=3 outPipe.0=4 \
 --buffer inPipe.0=2 outPipe.0=5 \
 --tag-filter accept-relations boundary=administrative inPipe.0=4 outPipe.0=6 \
 --used-way inPipe.0=6 outPipe.0=7 \
 --tag-filter reject-relations inPipe.0=5 outPipe.0=8 \
 --tag-filter accept-ways boundary=administrative inPipe.0=8 outPipe.0=9 \
 --used-node inPipe.0=9 outPipe.0=10 \
 --used-node inPipe.0=7 outPipe.0=11 \
 --merge inPipe.0=10 inPipe.1=11 outPipe.0=12 \
 --write-pbf file="../finland-boundaries.osm.pbf" omitmetadata=true compress=deflate inPipe.0=12

bin/osmosis --rb file=../finland-boundaries.osm.pbf --write-xml file=../finland-boundaries.osm
cd ..
nice java -Xmx2000m -jar mkgmap-r2028/mkgmap.jar --code-page=1252 \
 --latin1 --country-abbr=FIN --remove-short-arcs=4 \
--country-name=FINLAND  \
--description="Openstreetmap finland" --createboundsfile=finland-boundaries.osm

for some reason the first pass of osmosis given in above example fails to start about 9 times out of 10. for some even more weird reason having network traffic going on at the same time when osmosis is started makes it start more often. this happens with

java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Boundary-creation is giving some whining about some russian boundaries but I did not care. This just might be related to what happens next ; if do the image like

java -Xmx2000m -jar mkgmap-r2028/mkgmap.jar --code-page=1252 \
--tdbfile --gmapsupp --latin1 --country-abbr=FIN --remove-short-arcs=4 \
--country-name=FINLAND --road-name-pois --location-autofill=bounds --index --route --family-name="osm_fi_14/9/2011" --add-pois-to-areas  --link-pois-to-ways \
--description="Openstreetmap finland" \
-c template.args

and in nüvi 265w the address search now works. with a twist. almost all streets of city of oulu are part of tornio that is a city some 100 kilometers away from oulu.

almost all streets of helsinki are part of novgorod that in turn is in russia. maybe the garmin unit just knows better.

but in oulu the address search works if wrong city is entered. searching for addresses with “search from all” always produces 0 results but streets can be successfully searched using the POI search of the device ; that works regardless of the city/state/province.

Sorry this sounds so lame… I downloaded the img map file for the Caribbean, connected Nuvi 1390BT to Mac and saw 2 folders: Garmin and Garmin Card. I created new folder in Garmin Card called “Garmin” as instructed. Copied img file to new Garmin folder…all good.
Now Settings/Maps/Info shows the openstreets caribbean map as in use along with base NA map but when I try to Change Country – Nuvi doesn’t find any Caribbean country…I tried just spelling city name, airport name, etc… “No Matches Found”
what did I do wrong?

In order to make address seach working, you need to install the Mapsource version on your pc and send your maps from there to the unit. Unfortunately the gmapsupp.img that you downloaded directly from the osm site does not contain an address index yet.

I tried a osm map on my garmin nuvi 255. It works quite well, although on some occasions it make strange routing decisions.
I did notice however that some cities are not known at all on my garmin, when filling in an address, like Apeldoorn, Haarlem (known as Schalkwijk, Haarlem), Purmerend, Ugchelen. If I look at the map on my garmin, the data for these cities is there

I tried to look at the OSM data for errors, but could not find any in the mapping data. This can be caused by my lack of experience offcourse. What can be the cause for these completely missing cities?

Don’t worry, it’s a bug in mkgmap, which is just improved in the latest version (2042), so sooner or later Lambertus will use it to compile his maps.

I think I used that version the current map tile generation. Do I need to use this version for the gmapsupp.img compilation as well?

If i look at http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/30-09-2011/1f003a2302c1c9c017526f9f0a789313/63240000_license.txt
I see Map created with mkgmap-r2009, but I dont think r2042 is capable of creating the address index for a gmapsupp.img, you still have to do this with Mapsource.
It only helps finding a lot more streets when entering a city name (of course only when you use the img created with Mapsource). With r2009 a lot of streetnames could only found when skipping the city name.

Thanks. The Mkgmap on the server is only used to generate the NSIS installer and gmapsupp.img and is not updated often (it doesn’t need to). The tiles are generated @home with r2042.

hello,

i have nuvi 250w i updated to 2012 maps everything works fine, but when i search for address i put in the city name but two same city names comes on screen. can someone help what i did wrong and how can i fix it.

can somebody help please

Hi,
mkgmap (version 2162) is now able to create the address search index directly (without having to write the gmappsupp.img
via MapSource).

This should eliminate the “Enter State/Province” problem on the newer garmin devices.

Chris

Hi,

A friend who is interested in (free) maps has download a few of the available maps for Mapsource and Zumo. He claims that he cannot find a particular city in NL, Apeldoorn. Is this also caused by the mkgmap limitations?

Taede.

Hi Taede,

there are two possible problems:

1. If you get the message “Enter State/Province …” the map is either compiled with a too old mkgmap version or the address information was not added due to wrong mkgmap parameters

2. mkgmap has different approaches how the address information (street A is located in which city/region/country?) is determined. One approach is to use the OSM boundary information (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Boundaries). A map compiler must define which admin_levels are mapped to the city, region and country. If you don’t find a city it is possible that the boundary of this city is not complete or it does not have the admin_level that the map compiler used for the city names.

WanMil