continue command and name changes in combination with add-pois-to-area

I am mapping all relevant amenities with --add-pois-to-areas to a POI, that’s working fine.

But when I try to change the name for such a POI, eg
tourism=hotel { name ‘${name} (${stars}-Stars)’ | ‘${name}’ | ‘${stars}-Stars’ } [0x2B01 resolution 22]
only hotels which are originaly placed as point will get this name.

All hotels placed as polygon and converted to a point will keep their unchanged name.

Also when I’m using the continue command, it’s not working for POIs mapped from areas.

Is there any incompatibility with these features?

Where are you putting your modified tourism=hotel rule? In the points file, or in the polygons file?

In the points file, because 0x2B01 is a point id.

From memory, for --add-pois-to-areas to work properly, you need to have an equivalent rule in the polygons file. Try that and see if it works?

I have added an equivalent rule in the polygons file now.
The name replacement is now working, but I have still a problem with the continue command.

I am trying to place an overlay icon over the original garmin icon.
The garmin icon shall be common to all POIs of this type, the overlay icon shall be unique to a single brand.

Here is my code of the polygons and points files.

polygons:

shop=car_repair & (name~‘ADAC.*’ | operator=‘ADAC’)
{delete shop; set amenity=‘automobil_club’}
[0x0B resolution 22]

shop=car_repair | amenity=automobil_club) & (name~‘ADAC.*’ | operator=‘ADAC’)
{ delete shop; set amenity=‘automobil_club’ }
[0x7003 resolution 20 continue with_actions]

amenity=automobil_club [0x2F0D resolution 24]

All car_repair with name ADAC shall get an overlay icon of 0x7003 (I have some more overlay icons for other brands).
Additional there shall be an icon of 0x2F0D which is also part of the Garmin POI-List.

This is working fine for all car_repairs tagged as point.
car_repairs tagged as polygon are getting the polygon 0x0B and the POI 0x2F0D, but no overlay_icon 0x7003.

Is there any error in my commands, or is there is bug in the continue statement?

The output behaviour you describe doesn’t really make sense. As you describe it, mkgmap is skipping the first points rule for “polygon” POIs and just applying the second one. But if it’s applying the second points rule for your “polygon” POIs then there’s no reason why it isn’t also matching the first rule as the key/tag combination to match is the same.

Some thoughts:

• Are you sure you’ve quoted the rules in the right order?
  • Try using continue rather than continue with_actions
  • The style files are processed in a specific order (http://www.cferrero.net/maps/mkgmap_tiddlywiki.html#styleFile). For your POI overlays to work properly, you would need the --add-pois-to-areas switch (and associated polygon rules) to be processed before mkgmap starts processing the points style file. I’m not sure if mkgmap works like that, but it may well not.
  • Try putting the second points rule[1] first, and adding the continue statement to it.

[1] the one creating 0x2f0d

When the processing order is really like that: 5.points, 6.lines, 7.polygons
then I don’t know how --add-pois-to-areas really works.

The polygon adds a poi but the points style was already processed.

I have tried with_actions and with only continue but it makes no difference.
I have also tried other orders, but this is the only way that POIs are added (only the overlay is missing now).

You are right, it makes no sense that POIs are working and overlays not.
So I hope there is someone who is using a similar logic to add brand specific icons to e.g. fuel-stations, shops, …
and has solved this for polygon POIs also.
Otherwise it can also be an unwanted behavior of mkgmap.

Well I’ve just confirmed it. I have a points style file like this:

shop=car_repair [0x2c14 continue]
shop=car_repair [0x2c09]

and a polygon style file like this:

shop=car_repair [0x12]

Processing this on a very simple OSM file containing one polygon tagged shop=car_repair and one point tagged shop=car_repair, using the --add-pois-to-areas switch, I see:
One polygon of type 0x12, with a 0x2c09 POI in the centre
Two POIs consisting of one of type 0x2c09 overlain on top of another of type 0x2c14

So this is a bug in --add-pois-to-areas: it somehow skips the first rule match in the points file and goes straight to the second. Would you like to post this to the mkgmap-dev mailing list?

Many thanks for reproducing it. I have just sent it to the mailing list and wait, if it can also be reproduced by an mkgmap developer.

stumbled upon this yesterday. is it solved already?