Viewing OpenStreetMap data in Google Earth.

Hey mappers.

I have had a look over at the Google Earth page on the OSM wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_in_Google_Earth and have looked at the files in the subversion link on the page but I’m still confused as how to get your data in Google Earth. If someone can provide a simple step by step process to do this without any unexplained jargon, I would really appreciate it. The Google roads layer in Google Earth is not the most accurate, so I would like to be able to view OSM data instead.

Thanks in advance.

Hello

You may want to consider an alternative approach as follows:

1. Use JOSM to export your data to GPX format (under the “File” command, select “Export to GPX…”)

2. Use Google Earth to open the saved GPX file.

Not all OSM data will appear (such as name of railway station), but at least the roads, coastline, water will be shown.

Thanks for that. I got it to work that way. It’s a start but is there a simpler way to say how to do it the OSM Wiki way so the different colours show up and the parking etc. Thanks.

Are you confused how to convert the .osm data into Google Earth .kmz format, or how to import that .kmz into Google Earth? Because that script isn’t supposed to work anymore.

From the README in the subversion:

There is supposed to be a template called “This is for an old version of the API”. If anyone know where you can find that please tell me.

I added the template to the wiki page.

Hang on, let me get this straight. First off, yes I am confused about how to convert .osm to .kml so I can view it in Google Earth but it is sounding like the file(s) are now out of date due to updates to the OSM protocol. I don’t know anything about how the protocol works or what adjustments need to be made for the process to work.

I realise it says go to this website and find this and that file and then do this but I’m not sure what any of that is. I have no idea what steps to take to do the conversion. This is the first time I have wanted to go into the back end of OSM and do stuff with it.

Argh… Sorry, I could have written that in a better way, my manners have never been good… :wink: But I wans’t sure if you wanted help with the exporting or importing.

To be able to use this you will need Ruby and Ruby gems, I don’t know how hard that is too install for you. When you have those things and all the dependencies, it should be very easy to export to KML. If you think this is too much for you then you will have to ask someone to export it for you, or to setup a server that can do on the fly exporting of contents.

If there is no one here who wants to set it up for you then try the mailing lists, and http://trac.openstreetmap.org/.

Sorry I can’t help you.