Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I have other maps installed. This is very strange. If I remove the map I created, it all loads fine. The map generated won’t load at all. I took the OSM data for North Carolina from cloudmade and processed per your posts. The map displays some icons (green circle) that I don’t see on your maps, so I am wondering if you are using any special TYP file?

I will try to report the issue on the mkgmap list later today or tomorrow. One thing I noticed is that newer versions of mkgmap are much faster on rendering. Probably twice as fast, just FYI.

In the past I have downloaded tiles, combined them with with Mkgmap using a script file. Recently I downloaded a group of tiles and the combiner failed, complaining "

C:\Garmin\Maps\OSM_World_Routable>java.exe -Xmx512M -enableassertions -jar c:\Ga
rmin\Map_Tools\MKGMAP\mkgmap.jar --max-jobs --ignore-osm-bounds --route --family
-id=2020 --overview-mapname=53240000 --tdbfile --index --keep-going --drive-on-r
ight --overview-mapnumber=53240000 --family-name=“OSM ras_oscar” c:\Garmin\Maps
OSM_World_Routable*.img
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at java.nio.Buffer.position(Unknown Source)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.Utils.bytesToString(Utils.java:75)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgHeader.setHeader(ImgHeader.java:212)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgFS.readInitFS(ImgFS.java:310)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgFS.openFs(ImgFS.java:129)
at uk.me.parabola.imgfmt.sys.ImgFS.openFs(ImgFS.java:122)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.FileInfo.imgInfo(FileInfo.java:185)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.combiners.FileInfo.getFileInfo(FileInfo.java:14
7)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.endOptions(Main.java:366)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.CommandArgsReader.readArgs(CommandArgsReader.ja
va:124)
at uk.me.parabola.mkgmap.main.Main.main(Main.java:122)

Have there been changes to anything in the data structures that would cause this error string? I have not changed either mkgmap or java in well over the year since i used it last.

Still works for me, version 1795.

The website is updated yesterday and it should work fine again, although I released it in a rush (had to go to bed).

Nope, I’m using the default Mkgmap style and no TYP file.

Faster rendering is nice to have ofcourse, although in the grand scheme of (my) things rendering is not the most time-consuming job. Thanks for the heads-up.

Ras_Oscar: Sorry, I don’t have a clue… Did you download the tiles from my website? And from which version? 13-04-2011 or 07-03-2011?

Lambertus, the link to the template file world.kml gives a 404. Could you repair it? I like this file :slight_smile:

Lambertus,

The web site looks ok now, but it’s missing the date of the extract. There is just a ‘1’ there now.

Regards,
Peter.

Thanks, both, for the reports.

I’ve updated the link so that it redirects to the current template file. But I must add, that I’m moving away from this file towards the countries.js file which will include the coordinates and tile availability at some point in the future. I’ll probably keep uploading the world.kml file after the migration, but won’t guarantee that unless there are very good reasons to keep supporting that file.

Fixed.

:slight_smile:

Edit: The past site-outage was a nice test: the 150gb disk was almost empty when the site came online again and was full after exactly 30h.

That would be all I ask for. The format is not important. Just that somewhere you tell which area is covered by a tile.

Cool developments :slight_smile:

Ligfietser is going strong with his little TYP file project for the routable maps and I’ll add one of my own:

I’ve been given an offer for another host to store maps on and this offer is much more serious then the offer last month (which doesn’t seem to go anywhere). So it’s time to make some choices: I could use this new opportunity to host maps that include the Ligfietser TYP file (or even any TYP) so that users can choose which map they want and I can get a feeling about using or not using a TYP file by default. Alternatively I could use this host to split country/custom maps between the two servers and hereby greatly reduce the waiting time.

Wishes, suggestions? Input is welcome!

First I’d like to say, thanks so much for all the effort and great product.
Now I have a question, I’m using a 62s, and a Mac. I was hoping that the Garmin MapManager software would merge the downloaded maps, but it doesn’t seem to. I just replaced Germany with Albania. Now I’m thinking if I push that to my device using Garmin MapInstall, I’ll lose Germany.
So the question is, without trying to select every tile in Europe, does anyone know how I can get all of Europe on my system for Road Trip, etc…, and then device at once? Any help is appreciated!

Check out http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk.html which should do exactly what you’re looking for. (Maybe use Google translator if you cannot read dutch).

Hope this helps…

Great news: I’ve added a second server to the service. It will host all new non-country map requests for the time being (that was easiest to implement). Let’s see how the queues develop.

India contains one tile too many (in the SE).

I have to say I’m impressed with the way the tile selection works. If I manually select and de-select some tiles as soon as my selection contains only those of a country for which the selection has already been built then I get shown a download link.

I downloaded the benelux and a part of North Germany last tuesday.
In Mapsource I see maybe half of the tiles.
I installed it again with no succes.

Thanks for the report. The selection is based on some country polygons downloaded from cloudmade and may not match 100% with the borders as shown in Mapnik (the slippy map). I wouldn’t worry about it.

Thanks, I admit I like it also :wink:

Hmm, last tuesday? Right after the website has come up again? I don’t know what went wrong…

Dear all,
I’m new in using OSM on my Garmin Colorado 300. I have just downloaded a map of Florida and copied it to my SD Card. Unfortunately nothing is displayed on my GPS. The map is ticked under maps but not displayed. I have downloaded the version for the SD-Card. Does anyone can help me?

Hi, I don’t know if this has been asked before.
Is it possible to rename a map or to give it a name before importing in Basecamp? I have downloaded a small piece of France around Wissant. I want to name it Wissant, but in Basecamp it’s called OSM World Routable. If I have a couple of these I won’t be able to tell which is which.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I have installed this on my friends 60CSx, and almost everything works, except for when I search for an address, it keeps saying None Found. It seems to know street names just fine, auto-routing between waypoints.

I have installed it on another friend’s unit successfully in the past. I do not know why it does not work now. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi,

Check out http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk.html which should do exactly what you’re looking for. (Maybe use Google translator if you cannot read dutch).

Hope this helps…

The download from sunday/monday works fine again.

I think it was because I didn’t uninstall the old map, I had 2 directory’s With OSM Routable in my Garmin/Maps/