Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Hi again,

is the process that you use to generate your tiles documented somewhere (source address of raw osm datas, options for splitter) ?

I’d really like to understand why I don’t have the same problem (lake on land) with your tiles that I have with the tiles I downloaded from http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/.

So I’d like to to generate tiles myself the same way you do yours.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kurodo

Please Lambertus is it a location or post where the way you generate yours tiles is explained ?

Thanks in advance
Kurodo

Sorry, I’ve been busy. There are a few posts earlier this thread where I explain portions of the build scripts. See:

pre-processing
Splitting, rendering, mapcombining

And I don’t mind giving my scripts to anyone interested, but it’ll probably be hard to figure out how to get them working because of the complex nature of the toolchains (osmosis, splitter, 2x mkgmap) and hardware setup (separate pre-process, mapbuilding and website hosting servers). Once I have a server capable of doing everything by itself and I’ve adapted the scripts accordingly I’ll just put a zip file on the website.

Thanks for your answer. Yesterday I tried something basic. I exported a little zone directly from the map window of OSM, basically mkgmapped it (–route --remove-short-arcs --gmapsupp), and the lake was at its place !

So the problem seems to lie in the file I get from GEOFABRIK. I have to get my tiles directly from OSM map, not preprocessed ones …

Yours are great, but as I am doing some corrections to my region and that I want to test them “on the road”, I can’t wait to have the new map in my garmin.

I have a last question. When I merge 2 tiles with mkgmap, is it a problem if they overlap, or mkgmap can achieve a clean merge ?

Kurodo

Afaik, tiles must match exactly.

For areas that I want to check out I save the data from JOSM into an osm file, then drag it onto a batch file, which compiles a map for me. This is the contents of the batch file:

d:
cd \My Garmin\Logs
java -jar p:\mkgmap\mkgmap.jar --name-tag-list=name:en,int_name,name --route --keep-going --ignore-osm-bounds --tdbfile %1
pause

I use MapsetToolkit to install this into MapSource, from where I could load it into the GPS (but I don’t, usually). In the Logs folder (where I do most of the work) I have placed a link to the folder where the map is installed, so when I compile a new map I only need to drop the new .img file onto the link and the map is updated in MS. (This map can’t usually be loaded into the GPS without re-installing it in MSTK.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Peter.

First of all: Thank you for these great maps!

Probably my question has been posted before, but I could not find a hint with the help of the “Search-Button”.

I downloaded two different mapsets: a few tiles of the USA and a part of Italy. (2 Downloadfiles)
The installation of the US-tiles in mapsource was easy and everything worked fine. In mapsource I can open the maps with the name of “osm world routable”.
When I installed the Italy-maps, everything worked fine again. But mapsource now shows only one “osm world routable” map. This is the latter installed Italy-map. The US-map seems to be overwritten.

How can i manage to use several different osm world routable maps (e.g. Italy, Germany, USA, Autralia…) in mapsource.

Thank you for your help,
Hartmut

“How can i manage to use several different osm world routable maps (e.g. Italy, Germany, USA, Autralia…) in mapsource?”

Meanwhile I found the answer: JaVaWa GMTK is a very nice tool, that provides a lot more, than I needed in this case: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk.html

I downloaded the New Zealand Map. The gmapsupp file works fine on my Garmin. However I could view only a small portion of the map using MapSource. I am using version 6.15.11 of MapSource.

Updated Mapsource to version 6.16.3. Map can be viewed with map scale of 150km but cannot be viewed at other map scales.

Have you tried clearing the map cache in MapSource (press ctrl-g twice)?

Yes, I have tried pressing ctr-g twice. It still doesn’t work.

Dear sir,

Thank you for all the effort. I have installed the Netherlands for use in Basecamp. It seems all buildings are left out. And all trees or groups of trees are indicated as horizontal brown lines. Was that intentionally done? If you want I can send a screenshot.

Kind regards,

Pim Verver

The buildings are left out intentionally (to reduce the size a bit) and the rendering is not optimal because of the default stylesheet in the map generator software (Mkgmap). You can adjust the rendering by adding a TYP file manually, there is lots of information about how to do that on the internet.

Like here: http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=10032

Lambertus when does it come the next update of maps in the page?
Seems that there may be some troubles, last update is from March 7th. Take it easy no intention to pressure you ha ha ha

Thanks Ligfietser, I was too lazy to search for an example :slight_smile:

Well, the pressure was already on…my laptop :wink:

Seriously now, two points:

1. For a few months I’ve had the luxury of the availability of a fast server (without fast internet though) that I could use to preprocess new map versions for a while, but no more unfortunately. That means I have to do the preprocessing on my laptop again which takes a veeerrryyyy long time (about three full days), during which I hardly can use the laptop due to the load.

2. The server that generates the user-requested maps is slow and has limited disk space, it cannot keep up with demand unless the caching strategy is in full effect. Due to various queues and delays the caching strategy becomes effective after about 1.5 to two weeks after a new update. By then the queue is so long that it takes another two weeks to get back to acceptable levels. This limits the update interval to at least three weeks currently, at least four weeks when you/I want to enjoy the caching benefits.

Point 1 is almost solved as I’ve ordered a new workstation, Point 2 is being worked on in two ways: I’ve asked my sponsor to provide a better server (but unfortunately my contact person is unavailable for a few weeks more) and someone offered me a server, however progress is somehow slow on that front (dunno why).

So, please be patient for a few days more while the new version is generated and uploaded.

Meanwhile I moved the webfrontend to a new webhost (courtesy of Oxilion again!) because the routable Garmin webpage used all of the allowed traffic on my na1400.info domain. So the new URL for the routable Garmin maps is: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I guess writing a distributed client that uses BOINC ( http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ ) for map rendering would be too much to ask… as a quick’n’dirty interim solution would you consider replicating your build environment on a VM (with something that provides free players for most platforms, like VMware)? You could then make this VM available to people to download and hopefully do some map rendering.

It’s obviously more complicated than that, but until you get up and running with the new workstation/servers, these are my 2 cents.

PS: I just realised the exact same ideas are documented on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tiles@home#How_you_can_help

Thanks for your input, but BOINC or VM’s aren’t necessary, a ‘simple’ application that can download tiles and use Mkgmap to build a custom map on the client pc is all that is needed. This has been discussed before and I have plans to start developing that application next winter, although anyone with an interest can contact me for input (or not) and start creating such an application at any time. :slight_smile:

Is there a problem on the web site? I get this at the top of the page:

Get map definition. (version: 13-04-2011, update: )
Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/garmin/domains/garmin.openstreetmap.nl/public_html/index.php on line 83

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/garmin/domains/garmin.openstreetmap.nl/public_html/index.php on line 85

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/garmin/domains/garmin.openstreetmap.nl/public_html/index.php on line 87

Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/garmin/domains/garmin.openstreetmap.nl/public_html/index.php on line 88
Free routable maps for Garmin brand GPS devices

Yep, I noticed that too this morning. I updated the map version but did not check if everything worked as expected (I really should have done that after moving to the new webhost). Anyway, it appears that the webserver is more restricted on this new host. I’m busy working around this and hope to finish this somewhere today

Edit: Sorry, I couldn’t finish it yesterday and today most likely not as well. I’m going to test your patience some more…