Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

What king of errors exactly?
Which device or program did you use?
From where did you route?
To where did you route?
How to reproduce the error(s)?

Any link to your starting/finish position (OSM id’s perhaps) would help.
What version of the map are you using (i.e. when did you download the map)?
Did you try any of the webbased OSM routing applications like http://www.yournavigation.org?

I don’t have links, but I can give you coordinates:

Start: N 35° 54.418 W 78° 50.751
End: N 35° 51.136 W 78° 52.394

I did this from my Oregon 450 using the latest NC maps which I downloaded last week.

I was not able to use any web routing as the end coordinate was is off road.

If you navigate to the relevant area in Openstreetmap and post a permalink, you’ll probably get a quicker response.

Here is a link to cloudmade routing (start and end only approximated):
http://maps.cloudmade.com/?lat=35.852848&lng=-78.875699&zoom=15&directions=35.907092627848726,-78.84591579437256,35.85236131899359,-78.87332797050476&travel=car&styleId=1&opened_tab=1

Ok, I can see the web routers can do the routing, but how can that help me find why the Oregon can’t? The only thing I saw was that Davis Drive has two segments that were created in the opposite direction but they are not one way.

I also noticed this:

US:NC:road1639/Kitt Creek Road

Any ideas why the road would be named like that?

Francisco

When I download and install North Carolina in MapSource and request it to calculate that route then the resulting route differs from Cloudmade but almost exactly matches Yournavigation.org. So it doesn’t look like faulty map data.

No, and it shouldn’t really be named like that unless that’s exactly what you’d find if you look at the streetsigns on every corner of that street. I guess the streetsigns give you “Kitt Creek Road” and that’s what the name-tag in OSM should be.

Ok, I have no idea what’s wrong. I will try to route again from the main road instead of near my work building and see if it changes anything. If it fails again, any suggestions on how to proceed? The only thing I saw using JOSM was that Davis Dr has two segments created in opposite ways which join close to where that turn into Kit Creek Rd is.

Yes, the street signs are Kit Creek. I looked in JOSM and the only thing I see that would cause this is either name_1 or ref tag.

Well, I should have added that a positive result in MapSource does not automatically mean it will work on any/some of the Garmin GPS devices as well. I did not have time yesterday to test on my GPSMap60Csx.

It’s probably a good idea to clean that area up a bit, it won’t hurt even though during Garmin map generation some work is done to sanitize the data so that it fits in a Garmin map file (which can result in weird routing I guess).

Ok, I would recommend to move the non-name part of the current name to a tag of it’s own but contacting the OSM-US mailinglist about the naming/tag convention would be wise.

I tested the routing again. The coordinates I posted were slightly off intentionally. I think the problem is due to the creek and the lake water body somehow. I can route to some places without an issue, but to the real coordinates, I cannot route at all, no matter where I am or how close I am.

I tested routing from work, on the way and from home. All fail with the same exact error message.

But I am able to route to points near by. I don’t see a reason for that creek to be running under the lake.

Hi,

I discovered the OpenStreetMap project some days ago. Fantastic ! I already added my own little contribution to the map in my region.

I live in Publier, France, close to the Leman lake. I own a Garmin Vista HCx, and I noticed something really weird:

I downloaded an OSM for my region, splitted the tiles with splitter (java -Xmx1G -jar splitter.jar rhone-alpes.osm.bz2), then generated the gmapsupp.img with mkgmap (java -Xmx1G -jar mkgmap.jar -c template.args). The I noticed that the leman lake is on the land, not at its place.

NOW THE WEIRD THING IS:
I got some tiles for my region from your site. I generated the gmapsupp.img with mkgmap the same way than previously (same mkgmap version and parameters), BUT NOW the lake is RIGHT AT ITS PLACE, not on the land !

BIG QUESTION:What’s the difference ?

recent OSM files → splitter → mkgmap → gmapsupp.img with lake wrong
your tiles → mkgmap → gmapsupp.img with lake ok.

Your tiles are from early mars, so is it an error introduced after ? Or do you use some special parameter with splitter when you generate the tiles from the OPENSTREETMAP OSM ? Any help to understand welcome !

Thanks for your useful own project.

Kurodo

Francisco, do you have any other maps loaded in your GPS? If so, try de-activating them.

Hi,

just a little question. Is it possible to trigger a new version of a tile ? I done some changes in my region, useful for better routing, and I’d like to have them in your tiles …

Or can I generate the tile for you and put it on your site ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Kurodo

Theoretically that should be nearly impossible, let alone practically. One example: a road that crosses a tileborder is moved a litte. Then you update only one tile and upload it to the website, then routing between the two tiles won’t work anymore. So if you want to test your local roadnetwork using a Garmin map then it’s simply best to create your own Garmin maps for that area. The changes will appear a bit later in the maps on e.g. my site.

Thanks for your answer. I will continue to add improvements for my region. What’s the timelapse I can hope for them to appear in your tiles ?

Due to high load on the server map updates are reduced (as they increase load a lot), so I’m aiming once per month currently. But I received an offer for a sponsored server and updates will be weekly again when that’s up and running (I don’t have a timeline yet).

Hi again,

is the process that you use to generate your tiles documented somewhere (source address of raw osm datas, options for splitter) ?

I’d really like to understand why I don’t have the same problem (lake on land) with your tiles that I have with the tiles I downloaded from http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/.

So I’d like to to generate tiles myself the same way you do yours.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kurodo

Please Lambertus is it a location or post where the way you generate yours tiles is explained ?

Thanks in advance
Kurodo

Sorry, I’ve been busy. There are a few posts earlier this thread where I explain portions of the build scripts. See:

pre-processing
Splitting, rendering, mapcombining

And I don’t mind giving my scripts to anyone interested, but it’ll probably be hard to figure out how to get them working because of the complex nature of the toolchains (osmosis, splitter, 2x mkgmap) and hardware setup (separate pre-process, mapbuilding and website hosting servers). Once I have a server capable of doing everything by itself and I’ve adapted the scripts accordingly I’ll just put a zip file on the website.

Thanks for your answer. Yesterday I tried something basic. I exported a little zone directly from the map window of OSM, basically mkgmapped it (–route --remove-short-arcs --gmapsupp), and the lake was at its place !

So the problem seems to lie in the file I get from GEOFABRIK. I have to get my tiles directly from OSM map, not preprocessed ones …

Yours are great, but as I am doing some corrections to my region and that I want to test them “on the road”, I can’t wait to have the new map in my garmin.

I have a last question. When I merge 2 tiles with mkgmap, is it a problem if they overlap, or mkgmap can achieve a clean merge ?

Kurodo