Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Ok, I didn’t realise that. Even more fortunate, I can choose Laos and only loose a few km in the very South, which I don’t need right now anyway.

Kind regards,
Peter.

Lambertus: servis is not working… I have been already waitnig 6 days for my map to be built. Just requested it again and realised there is 962 requests in the queue. Need a map of Morrocco for my next week overland trip to north Africa - please help !!!

Afaik the service is working, the current oldest request in the queue is created the 10th 15:18 (looks like the delay guestimate is fairly accurate). I also still get emails from people, who can’t get their heads around installing maps and such, who received their email recently (in the last 2 days). The service is simply overwhelmed, i.e. more requests coming in than it can process per time unit.

Also, there isn’t a jump the queue function (not even for me :p). All I can suggest is to get your map early with room to spare for busy times.

I still got no email and did already 3 requests since feb 9th. Just look at the queue Lambertus, it is nearly 1000 requests pending !

If you need a map quickly here is how to get it:

Select the country you want. Download the tiles you need individually from the list on the left, under the email link.
Download MapsetToolkit from somewhere and use that to install the tiles into MS.

Works like a charm.

Lambertus: you may remember that I said to expect this to take off like a rocket. Now it does. I’m happy to contribute a few Es to increase computing power. What you have built is so good and essential for Garmin users that it deserves to have more resources.

Kind regards,
Peter.

What’s your email address (the one you provided when requesting the map)? I can lookup your email address and touch the file so it jumps the queue (note to lurkers: this is an exception!). You can just post your email address here or set it in your forum profile…

Edit 1: Watch the machine being busy or waiting for disk space.

Edit 2: Hmm, just tried that with a request of my own, but I don’t have rights to touch the files which the webserver created and I’m not in the sudoer file so can’t boss it around either…

Edit 3: Added two simple scripts for the webserver to overcome the problem above. One can search for a string in the requests (e.g. email address) and lists the matching files. The other touches the a given filename (sets the date back one month) so that it jumps the queue. Note to hackers: need to probe for the url’s, access is restricted to two IP’s only :wink: Note to desperate users: no need to contact me, I don’t have the time or will to move you up the queue. I will only use these scripts to check if the whole map building chain is working.

Edit 4: Reduced the availability time of the maps from 48 to 42 hours. This will speedup the queue a bit.

Edit 5: My request that jumped the queue has completed and I received the email. So everything is working fine. Emu777, can you check your SPAM folders, maybe the emails got classified as spam…

I just sent you a massage with my email. Still havent got any response from the service…

Marocco is only two tiles at the moment. So download those two tiles manually and put them together with sendmap20.exe (as I described on this page) or with MapsetToolkit (as Beddhist described).

You can also use two micro-SD cards. Put a tile on each and rename each tile to gmapsupp.img. Big change that you only need one tile.

You should definately have gotten the email by now. I had a request right after yours and I received the email around 01:30 CEST.

If you didn’t get the email then there is most likely a problem at your end. But the Moroccan and Mauretanian maps are available for direct download on the server. Mauretania contains all of Western Africa including all of Morocco.

Yes, I remember you said that and you’re probably right. Previously some things have been discussed like using free external file hosting, but I didn’t like the conditions under which they provide hosting. So I’ve asked my sponsor to upgrade my server to at least 250Gb harddisk space (I now have ~100 Gb), I expect to hear from them in about 1-2 weeks (holiday in between). If they don’t agree then I might start moving faster to my last solution: the clientside map compiling and installing Java application. I’m steadily getting a clearer picture about the way I want to make it and this is probably where I want to move to eventually. There’s only so much server power and storage realisticly available.

I do get emails from people who would like to contribute some money for this service, but it’s feeling like a major hurdle for me to take (psycologically speaking). I also wonder if that will work out well because a dedicated server in the US with flat fee bandwidth is around $90/month and if I want to do the same in the Netherlands it would be more then Eur 100 for the traffic alone(!). I really don’t know what to expect from donations but I don’t see it covering the costs for hosting (could be wrong though, but I don’t have any experience with donations). So, as things stand now, I’d love to solve the growth problems within my current sponsoring conditions.

Lambertus, thanks a million for this wonderful service!
I requested the Tunisia Map on Friday last week (the website stated that the map of 10-02 would be used) and received an email this evening with the link to the map. The link “[…]garmin/routable/30-01-2011/[…]” still states the date of 30-01-2011 and the map also seems to be from that date because I do not see any of the changes that have been done to the map since.
Is this normal?? Thanks.
Kind regards from Tunisia

Yep, that is normal. You requested the map when 30-01-2011 was the latest version, so that version is used for your request. If it would switch to the newest version automatically then your map would be totally messed up because the tilenumbers are different between versions (or, when they are the same for the same region, that is pure luck). If you want a map using the data from the current version then you’ll have to request your map again. But, please, don’t do that on every update, the server is already busy enough…

Thanks for the quick reply! Makes totally sense. I can live with the normal “TN-Tunis” map on a daily basis. Only sometimes I need the entire Tunisia map. Thanks anyway for all the work!

We should encourage the people to download the tiles by themselves and compile them with mkgmap. It is very easy to do, I wrote a post in our local page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Argentina explaining the steps (It’s in Spanish)

Indeed, and lots of people do so already, but there are more people that don’t want to go through the trouble of trying to determine the tilesizes, splitting a country dump, rendering them with all the options and installing them in MapSource/BaseCamp/etc. For Argentina the process is reasonably straighforward but for countries that are more complex it is quite demanding.

If you download the tiles then you don’t have to do all those things. You cannot even do them. The only thing once downloaded is to put all tiles in one file. Sendmap20.exe will do in a glance. Mkgmap would be overkill for such a simple task.

That is a different story. I wonder how many people want that? Do you have statistics of your service downloads?

OpenStreetMap data from: 12-02-2011. Current queue: 1227 requests (delay: ~5.1 days).

We are witnessing the succes of this site. Last week it was about 800 requests.

And then I saw 1000 and then 1100.

How will this go on?

Are there requests to just try it out?

Certainly, but that only works for Windows and if Germany or the Netherlands are of your interest then we’re talking about clicking and downloading ~80-140 individual tiles.

A quick scan on this months downloads:

mapsource =2210
gmapsupp = 1757
roadtrip = 534
linux tiles.zip = 1226

But I notice that individual tiles also get downloaded a lot: 6237x in total.

The number of downloads would be higher, ofcourse, if the service would be able to process requests faster… Caching seems to be working fine as e.g. one gmapsupp.img is downloaded 110x.

Thanks for the quick info.

But this can be read as: from the 1580 people who downloaded data for mapsource 1008 downloaded gmapsupp too.

What I really would like to know is how many people only downloaded the gmappsupp. ( I’m one of them).

Sorry, I messed up in Excel. Anyway it’s difficult to get what you want. For that I would have to parse the apache logs and match all the ip adresses, but I don’t have access to the logs, only awstats (which doesn’t list the IP addresses).