Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thanks for the statistics. I guess you (and other well established country map providers) are catching the bulk of the downloads then, which limits the downloads here. The available disk space is also limiting the number of possible downloads per day.

May I ask how much you pay for your bandwidth, or is your hosting sponsored as well?

I have around 500 unique visitors on the download server (many more on the website itself) and use about 50-120 GB/day bandwidth.

Possibly, I haven’t really looked at it yet. But thanks for the tip!

(Edit: I’ve also found uDig, jMapViewer, MapPanel, Java GeoTools)

The point of my service is: I want people to be able to make their own map (e.g. cross-country) and to make this as user friendly as possible. “Simple” country extracts in various flavours can be (and, ofcourse, are) hosted by others, like extremecarver and ligfietser.

My hosting and my website server is both sponsored by Domainbox. If not I would have to stop (at current price level for downloads like at Amazon S3 one could not make up for it by adverts) I have another donor for the server where I render the maps. But as I don’t want to abuse it, I don’t offer any maps of Europe or North America (would in any case be useless, as most data is just imports and that is not what I understand as worthwile).

For many people I think Europe is no real question, as it takes too long for download. But for all people with a 16MB down or higher, I would believe that if the download servers are quick enough, they just download. Few people got any knowledge bout costs of server and would not even think that such a server is expensive.

Thanks!

I think this is a really good idea. Sure, it would put more of the work on the actual users, but that is not such a bad thing.

If you could actually choose the tiles you want, via slippy-map or some-such, and download them from within the program, then you would really have something good.

Just a thought. I only wish I could help. Sadly my programming skills date back to the acoustic coupler and mainframe days.

Thanks for all YOUR hard work.

Just one more thought about typ files: from the little I have gleaned with my experiments on my Zumo 660 is that support for them in this unit is broken. I tried to create a dashed line for dirt roads (like what we used to have in MS and the 60CSx), as they are now all but indistinguishable from minor roads. The result: anything transparent and any secondary colour and border in lines are black.

I have no knowledge of this, but I suspect that some of the newer Nuvis will have the same ‘features’, as the Zumo is very similar to Nuvis.

And yes, thanks again for this great service!

Kind regards,
Peter.

Peter,
Did you check with mapsettoolkit if the Family ID of the map corresponds with the one in the Typ file?
You also need to ‘instruct’ mapsource that you have added a typ file otherwise it wont see it if you send the maps
with typ file to your unit. As far as i know nuvis will work with the typ files, but Im not sure how compatible they are with
the latest units.

Yes, the FID is normally correct, but even when it isn’t it makes no difference. I can see the effect of the typ alright, it’s just that the display is not what the program that created it (gentypg) says it should look like. As I said, primary colours are ok, but borders and secondary colours I can have in any colour, as long as it is black. (Henry Ford)

I see you use gentyp. Have you tried to edit the typ file with http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi?

No, I don’t. I have used gentypG to create just two line styles: http://gwprojects.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1126&p=23042&e=23042

I tried the online editor, but I can’t see how I can create a dashed line there. gentypg lets me create patterned lines, whereas the online editor seem to allow only solid lines.

It does support patterns. If you set bitmap height > 0 you can see a bitmap editor to fill in a pattern.

See an example here:

http://sites.google.com/site/openfietsmap/downloads/customize

Ive read that gentyp is a bit outdated and maybe doesnt support the newer units anymore.

Yes, the author wrote that gentyp is old and his prog is based on that, but he only just released a new version, see link.

OK, I get what you mean. I had another go with Typ Wiz 0.573 and here is what I get in MS:

Looks ok, but when you zoom out it looks hideous:

This is what it looks like on my zumo:

Note the black between the dashes. Also, the line is now very thin at any zoom.

Anyway, thanks for your help, but I think we are getting way off-topic here and the topic is already very long…

Kind regards,
Peter.

PS: back to my typ with solid lines, which is working.

First of all thanks for the great work with the maps.

I just downloaded some tiles for Austria and I don’t know what is wrong but there is a street missing. I can see it on the map online but when I copy the downloaded map (created some hours ago) i can’t see it in MapSource and in the GPSMap60cs.

The street I mention is in Austria->Styria->Eisenerz the road to the Leopoldsteiner Lake in the north western area of Eisenerz. As I mentioned on the online version I can see it and in MapSource and on my GPS it’s missing.

Thanks for help.

That road is very new (created on january 19th) so I guess it just wasn’t in the planet dump used for this map update. It’s probably best if you check again a future update and see if it is still missing (I guess not, there is no reason why it shouldn’t be in the Garmin maps).

OK. I’ll try in some weeks again.

Thanks for the quick answer.

Could someone explain to me why my osm maps display as green blotches on my oregon 450 instead of a solid green for forest areas.

Wow! There are around 735 requests in the queue right now and the number keeps rising. Did something happen?

Nope, nothing special afaik. I don’t see anything new in the top referrers either. Maybe people are preparing for a holiday? I don’t know…

The service is working fine though.

Lucky you! On my Zumo forests are brown diagonal stripes. You need to go to the mkgmap compiler mailing list and complain about that.

Cheers,
Peter.

That is because the default styles don’t have a typ file yet.

Maybe installing this typ file will help?
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=10032

Please note that you will need a tool like mapset toolkit to install a typ file:
See http://mijndev.openstreetmap.nl/~ligfietser/diverse/mapsettoolkit.jpg

For users who are only interested in generating a gmapsupp.img file the solution to do it yourself is not far away.

There exists already longtime a (free) program sendmap20.exe (with sendmap.exe). http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm which combines such tiles to one gmapsupp.img file. (I did not test the linux version).

Once a user selected tiles on your site and downloaded them sendmap20 will make an gmapsupp.img file out of them.
(sendmap20 can send the .img to the garmin device too. But I’m not interested in this possibility as I just put the .img on the microSD card. I’m not intereste to show them in Mapsource either.).

So the only problem is to download the selected files.

Yesterday I wrote a program for that. Once the tiles are selected ( I used Firefox) I select all tiles -which are summarised in the left margin of your webpage). Then click right on the selection and choose “source of selection”. The contents of the window that opens has to be copy/pasted in my program which then downloads all tiles.

Then it is just only select all img files in explorer and drop them on sendmap20. Today I tested this on windows 7. All worked.