"free" Navigator 10 by mapfactor.com ... uses OSM data

You can set your own car profile and define average speeds for each road category. Alternatively you can set preferences or disable some types of roads completely.

The average speeds of roads are not perfect :(. There is no distinction between urban/non-urban roads yet (during conversion of OSM data), when maxspeed tag is present then it is used also as average speed (this is causing some problems when on nearby roads is maxspeed tag missing), etc. Recommendations how to improve default speeds are welcome :).

There is no such a option yet - it is every second and it used to be primarily for debugging and not necessarily for mapping. What interval would you use?

The use of max-speed is probably going to help. I’m trying to update some roads locally at the moment to see, if that in the future will improve the calculation and yes, I can see, that missing max-speed tags wouldn’t help.

Now, in my case, there is not talk about urban and non-urban roads. I’m talking about non-urban national (primary), non-urban secondary (R-roads, often at the same limit as primary roads, but sometimes slower and certainly not as well build out or maintained) and non-urban tertiary roads (these can be single or 1 1/2 lane wide roads, sometimes with a patch of grass in the middle).

I’m based in Ireland, if that helps. And I could give you a trace for the route, that navigator 10 proposes and a trace for the route, it should take in reality.

1 second interval is perfect. While it’s not intended for mapping, it’s actually quite useful for that, because it’s easily accessible to enable.

/M

that’s not true (on my Touch HD) … the rate is more like “every 15-30 meters”.
I can not use the Navigator10 to GPX traces, it’s not accurate (in Bike).

but, it’s a nice function, too…!

Are you using an internal GPS device or an external bluetooth one ? Does it work better with other software ?

I often find, that internal gps devices in phones give very poor results, because the antenna isn’t good enough. I’ve always used an external bluetooth gps dongle or like in the case with my unit there is an external antenna, that can be placed in a spot, where it sees loads of satelites to get an accurate fix.

/M

That’s fine now.

That doesn’t seem to work. I’ve turned off rotation yet it still updates the screen at least every second, even if I’m at home and no movement is shown. It seems it competes with my battery display (Batty) which tries to stay on top. Could it be that Navigator determines if it’s the top most window and if not updates the screen?

Wyo

The screen is updated every second (e.g. panel with GPS time), but the map is not “painted” when you do not move. The BLIT is performed always, as far as I know.

1. Internal (merged or not -bike- with Re-radiating GPS antenna -car-)
  2. Yes, i use NoniGPSplot and the GPX track is perfect…i let him is job and run, in the same time, the Navigator 10.

noniGPSplot trace the plot every second, the navigator NMEA file trace every 15-30 meters.

perhaps, it’s good for somes peoples … but i must have the timing “every second GPS ploting” to detect poor signal urban canyon situation.

I’ve now tried it with backlight = system settings. It really turns off the backlight after my set timeout value, yet it also turns off my PocketLooX when the timeout is reached once again. Sure enough the GPS is also turned off loosing the position. How can I circumvent this?

Wyo

why i love the product i am unable to figure out how to add a number address to destination. I am using the us version. I know i can search the web with google maps built in but when i am in my car with my computer that wont work. Can you but ih house numbers? am i missing something?
Thanks
Mike

Hello Mike,
you are right - the house numbers available on OSM are not converted to MCA files yet. Anyway, you should be able to search by country/city/street name (crossing) at the moment. There is no full-text search or google-like editfield :frowning:
regards
Martin

Question: change the hand drag from “Vector” to “Image” (software setting) increase the speed of the drag process.
The navigation process is accelerate, too ?
Batterie is better in “Image” instead of “Vector” ?

Question 2: The EARTH file is very heavy :open_mouth: …(like a part of Germany). If we don’t download countries (Japan, New-Zealand, etcs…), can it navigate accross the world on Highway (like Exx/Axx in Europe) with the only EARTH file ? :wink:

No, as far as I know it should not have any influence on navigation or battery.

The earth_osm.mca file contains the “mainland” info, i.e. coastline, country boundaries, major cities (only names in “overview” zoom) and the last update also names of countries. There are no network/routing data, so the answer is NO.

thanks ! :smiley:

I am looking for a (preferably free) replacement for Garmin n-route. I have Satellite internet so need to be careful of download size because of bandwidth limitations. How large (mb) is your program? I have the United States in OSM routable tiles already in img format for mapsource. Could I copy them and somhow convert them to your program? Or do I need all new map files. Also, is it possible (for a price) to get all the maps For the US, or US and Canada on a CD for your program so I don’t have to download them? I did not see a list of compatible GPS Devices, and would like to know if my Garmin 76CS will work with your program. Thank your for your help.

countries covered are here : http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/maps/

MapFactor use “closed” format (.mca) created 1-2 times per month…files are downloaded by the application on PC and copying to “Storage mass” device after.

MapFactor Navigator 10 don’t use connection of the cellphone … EXCEPT for a “manual” location like with Google/Yahoo GPS search, but must have the connection online before (WM6.5.2) because Mapfactor don’t connect the 3G/CDMA device automaticly.

Is there any way to get new mca or cab versions from a Linux computer?

Thanks.

At the moment the only way is to use wine (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=22242).

BUG: i have an HTC HD with internal GPS antenna…but i use an external 10Hz antenna, too.

Navigator10 not able to use a custom port…i can only choose a “declared in registry” port (COM4, my internal antenna…the COM6 isn’t displayed).

I view my 10Hz antenna in Navigator GPS setting (it’s a bluetooth Qstarz 818XT), but Navigator can’t connect to this antenna.
I use a logger program (GPS2Blue) and have not this problem…(10Hz nmea log OK).

According to this thread : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/raffael/archive/2008/05/28/gps-antenna-on-windows-mobile-internal-or-external.aspx
It’s a knowned problem…Can you add a “raw” COM port in Navigator ? To bypass the GiD of Windows Mobile ?

SOLVED: I have a ROM 6.5.2 from NRG, i have flashed to the STOCK Rom on the HTC Touch HD (6.1) and the Navigator 10 work now with my 10Hz antenna.

Strange… :confused: