"free" Navigator 10 by mapfactor.com ... uses OSM data

Thank you Willi2006 for your help. I understand it from the “relation point of view” now. What troubles me a little is that if I process something what looks like a pond (small closed way with tag natural='water") I should also check that it is not mentioned in any relation, because it could be a bay of some larger lake (I suppose, that island would not have this tag even it is a water boundary).

I would have another question related to data processing. We are using relations with admin_level=2 (for USA admin_level=4) and boundary=‘administrative’ for definition of countries/regions. What we expect is geometric multi-polygon, so that we can say if given element is inside region or not.
We are currently processing planet-110105.osm and there is again problem with France (relation = 79981, before we used 11980) which now contains only ‘maritime’ boundaries, i.e. the polygon is not complete. I understand, that for example Philippines (relation 443174) are not finished yet, and that in Switzerland (relation 51701) is probably missing member type ‘subarea’ (I see it fixed now), but again I am not sure if there is a rule that relation boundary=‘administrative’ should define geometrically valid multi-polygon? Once a while I fix self-crossing boundary, if it is not caused by resolution error (there is no limit how precise can be nodes (lat,lon) defined, right?), but I am not sure about these big relations.
Thank you
Martin

For questions about processing OSM data you might get more help on one of the mailing lists where OSM developers tend to communicate. This forum is mainly used by mappers and users. Contact / Mailing lists, Develop, Routing

Looking into this I found that with Changeset 6898344 dated 7 January 2011 a new parent relation France Metropolitaine was introduced with 15 boundary_segments as child relations defining the border of France. One of them is the relation 11980. There’s a Wiki page about this construction France boundary pyramidal construction last updated in March 2010. I hope this is of some help.

I transmited to the french OSM list
regards
Christophe

You should really try to keep using relation 11980 even if it is now a super-relation (relation of relations). Your application converting relations to polygons will have to support this solution soon or later for all countries with large borders anyway because they are no alternatives when the amount of elements is too big for a single relation.

Or, as said, this one http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1362232 if you only whant the european part of France. (which only contains one level of relation childs)

Unfortunetly, we are lacking some Quality checker tools fo such a type of relation in order to check if it stills forms a valid multipolygon (in the osm sense)

Thank you all :). For this batch processing I used boundary from previously processed planet, but for the next one I would probably use the newly created France Métropolitaine (1362232) you mentioned and process islands separately. From Navigator point of view it is better when the data regions are “compact” and simple bounding box reflect where the data are. Thanks for your help Martin

Since almost two years I’m now mapping in Thailand. From the beginning I added names in Thai and English. Now I realize that this is supported quite well by PC and Pocket Navigator. When I choose in the setup Language English the English names are shown on the map otherwise the Thai names. At the same time I can choose the voice independently, e.g. German. For finding addresses I can enter the English or Thai name independent of the setting. Even mixed is possible, e.g. city in English and street in Thai. That’s great.

But I’m wondering at which zoom levels and in which size place names are shown. I expected that it is according to place=city/town/village/hamlet. But it isn’t, e.g villages show up at different zoom levels and their names are in different sizes.

The names of places are sorted into 12 “display classes”. We use primarily city/town/village/hamlet rule, but we would need more precise rule (the best for us would be priority order of all names). So if available we use population tag. If there is another tag we should use, please let me know.
thanks
Martin
p.s. I am glad somebody noticed the multi-language feature and liked it :). At the moment there is only ‘name’ and ‘name:en’, but it could be extended to other languages too (it just was not priority yet).

I’ve just installed Navigator10 Free on an old PocketLooX with WindowsMobile5. So far Navigator seems to work just fine. What I question is the horrible high energy consumption. Usually my battery runs fine for about 2h even with GPS active, yet with Navigator running it was empty after about 1h.

It seems the Navigator completely refreshes the screen about every second. And it seems the backlight never is turned down. This isn’t a problem when driving in a car but during wandering it’s not acceptable. Maybe Navigator10 can’t be run on WM5 yet this would make it useless for me.

Wyo

The backlight is by default always on - you can change it in settings in Settings > Application > 2nd page Backlight (there should be possibility to switch between “always on” and “system settings”).

If you navigate, the program refreshes every GPS position = usually every second (actually it tries to extrapolate position, so the update could be more frequent, depending on your device). If you use only GPS without navigation, then turn off automatic map rotation, and there should be refresh of the GPS sprite only (unless it leaves the center area - then the map is shifted/refreshed).

Let me know if it helped
thanks
Martin

Hi,

I recently aquired a Windows Core 5 based system for my car, and since I do a fair bit mapping, stumbled over this piece of software. The unit I’ve installed it on is a Hualingan navigation unit.

First of all, thanks, it’s brilliant. The UI is pretty straight forward and nicely designed.

I’ve got a few issues.

When calculating a route, the Navigator sometimes wants to send me over secondary and tertiary roads, instead of prioritizing national (primary routes). I’ve set it for the fastest route. Is this down to missing speed limits on the roads ?

Also, when recording a route, what is the logging interval ? I haven’t found an option to set this.

/M

You can set your own car profile and define average speeds for each road category. Alternatively you can set preferences or disable some types of roads completely.

The average speeds of roads are not perfect :(. There is no distinction between urban/non-urban roads yet (during conversion of OSM data), when maxspeed tag is present then it is used also as average speed (this is causing some problems when on nearby roads is maxspeed tag missing), etc. Recommendations how to improve default speeds are welcome :).

There is no such a option yet - it is every second and it used to be primarily for debugging and not necessarily for mapping. What interval would you use?

The use of max-speed is probably going to help. I’m trying to update some roads locally at the moment to see, if that in the future will improve the calculation and yes, I can see, that missing max-speed tags wouldn’t help.

Now, in my case, there is not talk about urban and non-urban roads. I’m talking about non-urban national (primary), non-urban secondary (R-roads, often at the same limit as primary roads, but sometimes slower and certainly not as well build out or maintained) and non-urban tertiary roads (these can be single or 1 1/2 lane wide roads, sometimes with a patch of grass in the middle).

I’m based in Ireland, if that helps. And I could give you a trace for the route, that navigator 10 proposes and a trace for the route, it should take in reality.

1 second interval is perfect. While it’s not intended for mapping, it’s actually quite useful for that, because it’s easily accessible to enable.

/M

that’s not true (on my Touch HD) … the rate is more like “every 15-30 meters”.
I can not use the Navigator10 to GPX traces, it’s not accurate (in Bike).

but, it’s a nice function, too…!

Are you using an internal GPS device or an external bluetooth one ? Does it work better with other software ?

I often find, that internal gps devices in phones give very poor results, because the antenna isn’t good enough. I’ve always used an external bluetooth gps dongle or like in the case with my unit there is an external antenna, that can be placed in a spot, where it sees loads of satelites to get an accurate fix.

/M

That’s fine now.

That doesn’t seem to work. I’ve turned off rotation yet it still updates the screen at least every second, even if I’m at home and no movement is shown. It seems it competes with my battery display (Batty) which tries to stay on top. Could it be that Navigator determines if it’s the top most window and if not updates the screen?

Wyo

The screen is updated every second (e.g. panel with GPS time), but the map is not “painted” when you do not move. The BLIT is performed always, as far as I know.

1. Internal (merged or not -bike- with Re-radiating GPS antenna -car-)
  2. Yes, i use NoniGPSplot and the GPX track is perfect…i let him is job and run, in the same time, the Navigator 10.

noniGPSplot trace the plot every second, the navigator NMEA file trace every 15-30 meters.

perhaps, it’s good for somes peoples … but i must have the timing “every second GPS ploting” to detect poor signal urban canyon situation.