Israel Hiking map

Hi!

As I can see, Colin has already advised you pretty well on the handling of the tagging scheme.

The first color may be rendered so you are able to follow different colored hiking routes sharing the same ways or crossings even if it’s all too small to show trailblazing signs.

If you want a quick feedback on how your tagging might turn out on a map, you don’t need to wait for online maps to update. You could also use MapComposer to create a Garmin map or a bitmap map (vio Kosmos) yourself. osmc: stands for OSM Composer, it knows all the available symbols. Unfortunately, the UI is in German only ATM.

For networks, you really should use the established network=nwn/rwn/lwn.Your current Wiki entry is in contradiction with established tagging schemes:

network 	itc/kkl 	The authority that maintains the route
  • Network is intended for the level of network (by distance, importance) regardless of who marked the trail. The english terms are also used in other countries e.g. in Germany
  • Operator is used for the authority that maintains the route.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes#Relations

You are starting fresh here and you have the chance to make it easy. So I would recommend you don’t introduce contradictions where currently there are none.

As for the missing symbols: The list is extended as needed. There have been several requests for orange symbols recently, so I guess it needs extending. Unfortunately, it is not quite as easy as drawing the rectangle. The osmc:symbol is primarily intended to create vector maps with trailblazing for Garmin devices. To do this, every symbol needs a Garmin ID that is displayed on all devices and not already used by Garmin. Those IDs are getting scarce.

Your symbols definitely are _stripes not _bars. The multicolored case could be done with a _stripe_left in orange or in white. Is that list complete or is that only some examples?

I will have to think about what is the best way to do this.

Nop

Following all the feedback in this thread, and also Lonvia’s map (see the routes tab) I suggest we change our standard tagging as follows:

network=nwn/lwn/ncn/lcn/etc.
I suggest we keep this in accordance with the wiki.

operator=itc/kkl
This might change in the future.
I’d put kkl and rtg in the same tag, and itc in a tag of its own, as the itc paints the shields on the routes in all of Israel, no matter if the area is public, under kkl, rtg, or anyone else.

P.S. On a recent count, we have 70 routes.
That’s 15 new routes in 4 days!

talkat.

Done.

Most are network=nwn as they had route=hiking
A few are network=ncn, e.g. TLV-JM-Bike-Route

Nes Ziona Scenic is lcn.

Almost all are operator=itc
TLV-JM-Bike-Route is operator=kkl
Please fix where appropriate. (Adulam? Single Einav? Canada Park?)

talkat.

For the rest of us, could you post, in a different thread, a clear procedure on how to tag a blazed route into OSM?

See our wiki here
If it’s not clear, let’s work on clearing this.

talkat.

1. What is RTG (Sorry for my ignorance)?
  2. How to choose lwn/nwn/ncn/lcn etc.
  3. How does one tell the operator?

I believe this list is all we need, without the last two entries.
In theory (i.e. according to the back of ITC maps), there also exist two-stripe markings with one stripe white and the other black/green/red/blue, for the so-called “urban trails”.

1. RTG = Rashut HaTeva VeHaGanim.

2. I suggest that if it’s a local initiative, like the Nes Ziona Bike Route, then it’s ln. Otherwise it’s nn.
    In most cases it’s a hiking route, unless it’s a specific bike route, like the TLV-JM-Bike-Route.

Actually, some of the routes are marked as for off-road vehicles (think 4x4, Jeeps, etc.) but in essence it’s a hiking route.

1. That’s a tricky one…
    The ITC is the one that paints the shields on all official routes in Israel.
    Some of the routes are inside KKL or RTG areas (and residential, and open areas, etc.)

However, some of the routes are maintained by others, like the TLV-JM-Bike-Route, which is maintained by KKL, and bears a different kind of shield (not 3-stripes, but sort of a circle with an image and an arrow)

And news from this week: RTG has 5 new bike routes as a pilot.

talkat.

I suggest (and have previously sugested the same) adopting the standard nwn/lwn and that all but the national routes will be taged as locale.
This is in acordance with the ITC colouring scheme.
This is also in acordance with the distance of the routes (it’s extremely easy to tell the national routes from locale ones).
I’m not sure KKL formaly maintains trail marking in the form of the regular coloured stones (which we reffer to in the map) but KKL does use different markers then the regular ITC ones (mostly estatic wooden signposts with colourde triangles and the name of the route).
I suggest the thumb law - all three colours routes will be marked as operator=itc

I agree. Sounds good.

What about this refinement?

Natioanl: nwn
3-colors: rwn
Transparent: lwn

As I wrote above, KKL has its own type of markings.
But for now, all the renderers support only 3-color-markings, so let’s stick with them.

Maybe we should see if we could help Lonvia and/or hikebikemap to support our markings as well.
That way we will have our lovely map, and hopefully, other countries would be able to benefit from it.

Can you go over the routes that are maintained by KKL and set operator=kkl ?
Or find their list in the KKL web site?

I wonder if a complete list of all marked routes is available.
We can produce one, with colour, trailhead, length, etc.
but it’s far from benig complete, but maybe if we have it, people would see OSM’s benefit here, and contribute to make the list complete.

talkat.

Something like this:slight_smile:

It’s a work in progress. Need to add images for the shields, divide into networks, etc.

talkat.

My previous proposal (somewhere in the first page of this thread) was
Nationl routes - nwn
Shvil Israel is a typical member of this group
White:colour:white - lwn
Kisalon northen scenic route (BTW the name is official as it appears on KKL signposts along the route) is a typical member
Special (mostly KKL initiatives) - rwn
This is soewheat gray area but the JM-TLV bicycle route probably falls here

I will check later about the usage in other countries.

The current table has good choice of fields.

My suggestion:

route=hiking:
nwn - INT only
rwn - Special named (Golan, Jesus, Emek Ha’Ma’ayanot, Sovev Kineret, Jerusalem) and the unnamed long “regional” routes (purple)
lwn - all the rest

route=bicycle:
ncn - the future “Israel Cycle Route”
rcn - JM-TLV, “Sovev Kineret” for bicycles
lcn - all the rest (e.g. Ness Ziona Scenic, Canada Park Black)

I’m ok with this suggestion.
Shall we make it our standard?
(I’ve pm’d DoK for confirmation)

talkat.

Looks good.
Should the default be hiking and bicycle=yes (my favorite) or bicycle and foot=yes
Example - the black route of canada

Ok, so this is our current standard:

talkat.

You mean, the trail is marked both as hiking (by ITC) and separately for biking? If yes, then I guess there should be 2 separate relations?

I have reorganized the list of all trails accordingly.

That wiki page is machine generated from the planet file.
Please don’t edit it by hand.

In the future please send me your edits and I’ll add them to the script that created it.
I’ve incorporated your latest edits, so no need to send those.

If you want to change values of the routes (move them, change name, marking, etc.) then do it on the osm data itself, and it will be picked up next time I generate this page. :slight_smile:

talkat.

AFAIK There are no official ITC trails for bicycles.
KKL marked some trails specifically for bicycles (bicycle in a circle and an arrow in the advancing direction, all black).
Other trails even if builed for bicycles are officially (as I understand it) hiking trails (Haruvit, Masua-Agur-Masua).
bicycle=yes is a legal declaration that bicycles are permitted.
This is not true on hiking trails in all RTG areas (there’s currently a declaration of a pilot alowing bicycles in 5 trails) where bicycles are only permitted on vehicles roads.
This is true or at least not enforced in all other areas.

Anyway I propose to default for hiking and bicycle=yes in all but RTG areas.