Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

That is “by design” in the last two updates. I’m trying to make the maps a little lighter (easier on the server, less download bandwidth needed, buildings are not needed for routing, etc.). I’ve also filtered “type=communication” in the latest update as I don’t think it adds to the map.

This is the pre-processing filter before the planet data is piped into the initial Splitter run:

osmosis/bin/osmosis --rx - --tf reject-ways building=* --tf reject-nodes type=communication --wx -

No, I do not get any tool-tip when i click (I mean touch) the building area.

A station-node on a railway track is normally not connected to a road but have platforms and buildings surrounding it. Only when you come out of the platform/building, you will have roads.

And yes, it is able to route to a area where there are no roads. It just picks the nearest road. That means my Garmin 1390T allows a mixture of on and off-road routing.

Here is the screenshot of the same. The restaurant was tagged as “cuisine=indian” but displayed as “African”. It would be even good if it is displayed as “Others” instead of “African”

One more problem, “Hospital” is being shown as “Food” as shown in the following screenshot. The amenity is tagged as “amenity=hospital”

However, the Hospital is still listed under the POI → Hospitals. Only on the details of the Hospital, it is displayed as “Food” beside the blue “+”

These two look like bugs in your GPS. Can you try another map?

Incidentally: petrol looks hyper expensive in your area! :wink:

Routing to and from railway stations works in MS, so again, I suspect a bug in your firmware. Unless you can reproduce this in an official Garmin map don’t expect Garmin to do anything about it.

Don’t go with the currency symbol in the cost of petrol. In Indian Currency the cost is what is displayed. It is just the matter of currency symbol. Garmin is not yet providing Indian Currency symbol in their device, so I have to use the Pound symbol.

Thanks

It does not look like bugs in the GPS because the garmin map provided with the garmin navigator works fine. Even I tried with one of the commercial India map provided by mapmyindia and that works as well.

I was pulling your leg. It worked! :smiley:

It still looks like a bug to me and here is why: using the free NZOpenGPS map (compiled with cgpsmapper, rather than with mkgmap, as is the case with OSM maps) I find a hospital in my GPS. I save it. It now shows under category ‘Food’. I’m using a Zumo 660, which is similar to a Nuvi, but it doesn’t have the POI display like yours does. That’s why I had to save the POI first.

I’ve tried the same thing with a hospital in Miami, which is on a Garmin NT map and the category is hospital. So the problem is confined to non-NT maps, unless the maps you have tried are also old-style, i.e. non-NT maps.

Can someone help me to display the phone number with a POI as shown in the following screenshot taken from a commercial india map(non-garmin). The navigator is Nuvi 1390T (with bluetooth).

I have tagged the POI as “phone=+91 80 XXXXXXXX” but still I am not able to see the phone number on the POI detail nor does I get a “CALL” button for the OSM routable map.

Another minor problem

I have tagged “addr:housenumber=3-A1” but it is displayed as “3#1” as shown in the following screenshot. Any idea what is wrong.

-Nand

For those two issues I think you will have to contact the developers of mkgmap, the program used to compile OSM maps into Garmin format: http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/page/contact

I also ran into the issue that generating two sets of maps (one for home, one for a holiday) makes the Mapsource installer use the same family code(?) and thus one overwrites the other.
I don’t think the ability to specify a family for each has been implemented yet (or am I missing something?)

So I would like to combine the two sets. Is there a tutorial for this?

Thanks

It’s currently not possible to specify your own family or product id when requesting a map from the website. But I recently added a tutorial to the main page of the website which describes how you can install multiple maps concurrently. Have a look below the slippy map on the website…

In regards to the above, I was wondering, since you do provide ‘country’ maps, is there a way to maybe just add the telephone country code as a family ID or as the first few characters of the mapname?

I guess it would depend on when you split/generate the maps.

Just curious.

Well, it’s not exactly easy with the way the site has been built. The countries are an late addition in an attempt to ease the load on the system due to (repeated requests, instead of all requests being unique), but it should be possible. It’s a good idea but I don’t make promises if and when it will be implemented.

I started :-).

Just use my familiar thread class under windows first. It started with thinking about a disign with threads. I think I have some ideas.

But here is the first question. Maybe I better ask in the mkgmap group but as I’m not familiar with that group and as I suppose that you want to know that I started I ask here.

You know that in an osm file alle are summarized first. Then the and finally 's.

I will keep that.

But with threads you never know whose first done and if eigth threads do all the nodes together the output
of nodes might get in a differend order.

Would that harm mkgmap?

Ah, I assumed you were not interested because you didn’t respond :slight_smile:

I must tell you that I’ve found a reasonably simple way around my ‘problem’: I don’t transliterate before the initial split anymore, but I transliterate the resulting files from the initial split. Since that results in a lot of tiles, I can use Translit in parallel on those files (just start multiple processes and each will transliterate one of the tiles). Sometimes the simple way is easily overlooked…

Regarding Mkgmap, I don’t know if reordering the nodes/ways/relations will impact it’s process. I guess it won’t but, admittedly, that’s a long shot.

Sorry. There was nothing to say. And I had already written that it was on my to do list.

If you had told that here it would have saved me lots of guilty feelings for taking all that processing time of you.