Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

I forgot to add that I’m using the NZOpenGPS map here in NZ, compiled with cgpsmapper and I don’t have this problem. It’s only with mkgmap compiled maps.

hi,

I have another problem with my garmin with the OSM. When I select a railway station (which is a node on the railway track) from the list of POIs under Travel (or Transport) and ask it for routing, it says “Can’t calculate route”. However, when I select any other point near the railway station node, it is able to calculate the route. Is it because of some limitation with the OSM data.

Just noticed one more problem from the OSM routable map for Garmin (1390T).

Areas tagged as “building=apartments” or “building=yes” does not show-up on the OSM routable map on the garmin Nuvi 1390T.

That could be a good thing…

Unless the station is also connected to a road, or your Garmin allows a mixture of on and off-road routing, that’s probably why you can’t route to it.

It may be that they are the same colour as the background. If you hover over a building, do you get a different tool-tip?

That is “by design” in the last two updates. I’m trying to make the maps a little lighter (easier on the server, less download bandwidth needed, buildings are not needed for routing, etc.). I’ve also filtered “type=communication” in the latest update as I don’t think it adds to the map.

This is the pre-processing filter before the planet data is piped into the initial Splitter run:

osmosis/bin/osmosis --rx - --tf reject-ways building=* --tf reject-nodes type=communication --wx -

No, I do not get any tool-tip when i click (I mean touch) the building area.

A station-node on a railway track is normally not connected to a road but have platforms and buildings surrounding it. Only when you come out of the platform/building, you will have roads.

And yes, it is able to route to a area where there are no roads. It just picks the nearest road. That means my Garmin 1390T allows a mixture of on and off-road routing.

Here is the screenshot of the same. The restaurant was tagged as “cuisine=indian” but displayed as “African”. It would be even good if it is displayed as “Others” instead of “African”

One more problem, “Hospital” is being shown as “Food” as shown in the following screenshot. The amenity is tagged as “amenity=hospital”

However, the Hospital is still listed under the POI → Hospitals. Only on the details of the Hospital, it is displayed as “Food” beside the blue “+”

These two look like bugs in your GPS. Can you try another map?

Incidentally: petrol looks hyper expensive in your area! :wink:

Routing to and from railway stations works in MS, so again, I suspect a bug in your firmware. Unless you can reproduce this in an official Garmin map don’t expect Garmin to do anything about it.

Don’t go with the currency symbol in the cost of petrol. In Indian Currency the cost is what is displayed. It is just the matter of currency symbol. Garmin is not yet providing Indian Currency symbol in their device, so I have to use the Pound symbol.

Thanks

It does not look like bugs in the GPS because the garmin map provided with the garmin navigator works fine. Even I tried with one of the commercial India map provided by mapmyindia and that works as well.

I was pulling your leg. It worked! :smiley:

It still looks like a bug to me and here is why: using the free NZOpenGPS map (compiled with cgpsmapper, rather than with mkgmap, as is the case with OSM maps) I find a hospital in my GPS. I save it. It now shows under category ‘Food’. I’m using a Zumo 660, which is similar to a Nuvi, but it doesn’t have the POI display like yours does. That’s why I had to save the POI first.

I’ve tried the same thing with a hospital in Miami, which is on a Garmin NT map and the category is hospital. So the problem is confined to non-NT maps, unless the maps you have tried are also old-style, i.e. non-NT maps.

Can someone help me to display the phone number with a POI as shown in the following screenshot taken from a commercial india map(non-garmin). The navigator is Nuvi 1390T (with bluetooth).

I have tagged the POI as “phone=+91 80 XXXXXXXX” but still I am not able to see the phone number on the POI detail nor does I get a “CALL” button for the OSM routable map.

Another minor problem

I have tagged “addr:housenumber=3-A1” but it is displayed as “3#1” as shown in the following screenshot. Any idea what is wrong.

-Nand

For those two issues I think you will have to contact the developers of mkgmap, the program used to compile OSM maps into Garmin format: http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/page/contact

I also ran into the issue that generating two sets of maps (one for home, one for a holiday) makes the Mapsource installer use the same family code(?) and thus one overwrites the other.
I don’t think the ability to specify a family for each has been implemented yet (or am I missing something?)

So I would like to combine the two sets. Is there a tutorial for this?

Thanks