OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Please note that these forums will be down from approximately 8am UTC on 7th December while the server is moved to a new data centre - we will attempt to minimise the downtime but expect it to be at least several hours.

#1 2010-05-20 17:33:52

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér
Website

Buildings with many institutions?

What do you people suggest for tagging a building which has many institutions?
The example I am talking about is a New York building holding several consulates and representations.

#2 2010-05-21 13:32:32

sSraH9o2

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Such buildings usually have a name. I'd just go with that instead of trying to create a building directory.

Cheers

#3 2010-05-21 14:24:29

Vclaw
Website

I would draw the building as an area (tagged as building=yes, plus name= etc). Then add nodes for the individual amenities / shops etc, in their (approximate) locations in the building.

#4 2010-05-21 21:20:53

Willi2006
Website

Vclaw wrote:

I would draw the building as an area (tagged as building=yes, plus name= etc). Then add nodes for the individual amenities / shops etc, in their (approximate) locations in the building.

I have tried this for a shopping mall centralplaza Khon Kaen. I added only larger shops. Mapnik doesn't render all. But the data layer shows them all or better JOSM.

#5 2010-05-25 20:19:16

Hugo_H

Did any one of you looked at the lightning presentation on the SotM09"12:10      State      (lightning) 3D mapping in Japan: OSM challenge in 3D town Tokyo Japan - Miurahr  at this site: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stat … e_Map_2009

Hugo

Mapping tool: Garmin HCx, Nikon Coolpix L3

#6 2011-05-27 16:28:47

Janjko

Vclaw wrote:

I think this is the right way. Maybe they won't be renderd (remember, don't map for the renderer) but they will come up in search. Also, maybe a better renderer will be made in the future.

#7 2012-10-05 10:06:38

Władysław Komorek

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:

The example I am talking about is a New York building holding several consulates and representations.

I think, the proper way would by "relation", where building is a "site".
You can add releation to each institution.

#8 2012-10-06 15:28:04

Tordanik
Website

Władysław Komorek wrote:
Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:

I think, the proper way would by "relation", where building is a "site".

A site relation models an area which usually contains multiple buildings. This relation type is probably not appropriate here.

Some people use building relations, but I would likely map it like Vclaw - as a building=* outline way with nodes for the institutions placed within that outline.

Board footer