OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Please note that these forums will be down from approximately 8am UTC on 7th December while the server is moved to a new data centre - we will attempt to minimise the downtime but expect it to be at least several hours.

#1 2010-05-20 17:33:52

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér
Member
From: Odense, Denmark
Registered: 2008-11-12
Posts: 27
Website

Buildings with many institutions?

What do you people suggest for tagging a building which has many institutions?
The example I am talking about is a New York building holding several consulates and representations.

Offline

#2 2010-05-21 13:32:32

sSraH9o2
Member
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 3

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Such buildings usually have a name. I'd just go with that instead of trying to create a building directory.

Cheers

Offline

#3 2010-05-21 14:24:29

Vclaw
Member
From: Alba
Registered: 2009-02-25
Posts: 522
Website

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

I would draw the building as an area (tagged as building=yes, plus name= etc). Then add nodes for the individual amenities / shops etc, in their (approximate) locations in the building.

Offline

#4 2010-05-21 21:20:53

Willi2006
Member
From: Khon Kaen, Thailand
Registered: 2009-12-12
Posts: 421
Website

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Vclaw wrote:

I would draw the building as an area (tagged as building=yes, plus name= etc). Then add nodes for the individual amenities / shops etc, in their (approximate) locations in the building.

I have tried this for a shopping mall centralplaza Khon Kaen. I added only larger shops. Mapnik doesn't render all. But the data layer shows them all or better JOSM.

Offline

#5 2010-05-25 20:19:16

Hugo_H
Member
Registered: 2007-10-20
Posts: 329

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Did any one of you looked at the lightning presentation on the SotM09"12:10      State      (lightning) 3D mapping in Japan: OSM challenge in 3D town Tokyo Japan - Miurahr  at this site: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stat … e_Map_2009

Hugo


Mapping tool: Garmin HCx, Nikon Coolpix L3

Offline

#6 2011-05-27 16:28:47

Janjko
Member
Registered: 2010-11-11
Posts: 74

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Vclaw wrote:

I would draw the building as an area (tagged as building=yes, plus name= etc). Then add nodes for the individual amenities / shops etc, in their (approximate) locations in the building.

I think this is the right way. Maybe they won't be renderd (remember, don't map for the renderer) but they will come up in search. Also, maybe a better renderer will be made in the future.

Offline

#7 2012-10-05 10:06:38

Władysław Komorek
Member
From: Kraków, Poland
Registered: 2012-06-30
Posts: 1,304

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:

What do you people suggest for tagging a building which has many institutions?
The example I am talking about is a New York building holding several consulates and representations.

I think, the proper way would by "relation", where building is a "site".
You can add releation to each institution.

Offline

#8 2012-10-06 15:28:04

Tordanik
Moderator
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-06-17
Posts: 2,070
Website

Re: Buildings with many institutions?

Władysław Komorek wrote:
Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér wrote:

What do you people suggest for tagging a building which has many institutions?
The example I am talking about is a New York building holding several consulates and representations.

I think, the proper way would by "relation", where building is a "site".

A site relation models an area which usually contains multiple buildings. This relation type is probably not appropriate here.

Some people use building relations, but I would likely map it like Vclaw - as a building=* outline way with nodes for the institutions placed within that outline.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB