Rendering tiles on Mac OS 9.2.2

I would like to render tiles on Mac OS 9.2.2 so that I don’t rely anymore on a PC. This operating system has limited capabilities. It draws horizontal text and no antialiasing for example, but it does have OpenGL 1.2, but this is slow when rendering large pictures. With QuickDraw GX it can draw text on a path but no antialiasing. I can have a sort of antialiasing by drawing offscreen at 200% and then scale to 50%.

The main problem however is to convert the OSM data into drawing instructions. I see that there are nodes and ways, but I expect that there will be problems with for example dead ends and intersections, that it will look bad and unprofessional. Is there a general description of the algorithm for rendering tiles so that all streets look like neatly connected?

I parsed the OSM data for the map of Antwerp with about 700,000 nodes and 100,000 ways, skipping all the tags for now, in 0.8 seconds, using 47 MB of memory for the data structures OSMNodes, OSMWays and OSMRelations.

Because on Classic Mac OS a memory partition for one program is limited to 1 GB, this won’t be enough to keep the entire map of Belgium into memory, because the map of Belgium is around 30 times bigger than the map of Antwerp.

What would you recommend?

the classic way: import into a db with gis support (postgresql + postgis is what OSM uses), then render by regions (metatiles in OSM’s case), querying only the data needed for rendering it. this saves a lot of memoty, trading off diskspace and some memory for the db.