Create a map from scratch

Hi, I’m new to the forum and I am not sure if this is the right place to post…

I was wondering if there is any way to create openstreetmap-like map from scratch? For example if I want to make an openstreetmap (just for myself) of a video game map, is that possible? If yes what are the required tools?

Regards

You have first to choose whether you want map tiles as bitmap files, or a vector based map maybe even rendered in real-time.

Do you know the OSM wiki about https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Games ?

You have first to choose whether you want map tiles as bitmap files, or a vector based map maybe even rendered in real-time.

Could you please clarify where that option is in the iD editor?

1 Like

What exactly do you mean?
a. Use the existing OpenStreetMap data to create a different looking map, with your own choice what to show and how to show it

b. Create your own geodatabase with objects, whether real or imaginary, and show that in the style of osm.org (OSM Carto style)

c. A mix of a and b, like e.g. Pokemon Go did, superimposing imanginary elements over a special rendering of OpenStreetMap?

d. Something else entirely?

1 Like

@tallariel : Why do you assume that these features are available via the ID Editor especially for your purposes?

What do you mean with “that option” in detail?

1 Like

To clarify, my goal is to create a fictional/fantasy map from scratch using OSM tools. That’s @Peter_Elderson 's option b above and presumably @Limon_industries_co 's original goal too.

1 Like

Okay … then we need more information about your aims:

Is it a quite small area where you can store all objects that you create for your own “world” in a single OSM XML file? This is only suitable for an area that is one small city or one small island like Helgoland, Guernsey/Jersey, Hawaii …

or do you need a bigger area?
Then you need to replicate the whole OSM server infrastructure with an own database, API and webserver.

I’m looking to make a map of a fictional city, so it definitely would be an area smaller than the island of Jersey.

1 Like

Maybe an example would help.

The map legend that you can see here is entirely fictional data that i created myself. One of the pieces of it lives in a file here that I created initially with JOSM and just later edited with a text editor (which in my case is easy because it’s just a grid of roads).

I didn’t upload it to OSM but I can use that .osm file just like any other extract of data from OSM to create maps with, in my case a process based on this. Depending on what sort of map you actually want (in a web browser? in an app? on a piece of paper?) that approach may or may not work for you.

1 Like

https://www.opengeofiction.net/ might be the easiest way to generate such a map.

1 Like

Thanks for the example @SomeoneElse . To clarify, I’m not looking to make my map available online, I just want to design it with JOSM and ultimately export it as a PDF/SVG for printing.

From what you’ve suggested, it looks like importing a bare-bones .osm file into JOSM might be a good start. I created the following xml file named mymap.xml and opened it in JOSM:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<osm version='0.6' generator='JOSM'>
  <node id='-138455' action='modify' visible='true' lat='-24.98046822476' lon='134.98827436322' />
</osm>

Opening this file in JOSM is a good starting point if you want to create an entirely fictional map.

Side note: this feels cumbersome; it’s weird that JOSM doesn’t have a File --> New kind of option to create a map from scratch! I submitted that to them as an enhancement proposal: #22875 (add a menu option to create a map from scratch) – JOSM.

@habi thanks, opengeofiction.net is a great project but it doesn’t suit my needs because other users are able to modify my map, and it’s quite slow.

1 Like

Well, the JOSM people already replied:

You can use Ctrl+N to create an empty layer, draw objects and save it as *.osm.

1 Like

@Limon_industries_co if you do create such a fictional map using JOSM, please take great care not to upload back into the OSM database. JOSM can feel daunting and confusing for new users…

2 Likes

that is because JOSM is primarily OSM editor. It can be repurposed to projects like making map of fictional area (good luck with it, have fun - sounds like an interesting project!), but it is not the primary or even secondary purpose of JOSM. So it is normal that it will require using some obscure features and it will be necessary to avoid some normal features (for example, avoid uploading it to OSM!).

2 Likes

To prevent that own OSM file from being uploaded to the main OSM database server, see the hints at this thread:

How to prevent a JOSM layer from ever being uploaded to OSM? - OSM Help

… those mentioned “upload” parameter are also documented at JOSM file format - OpenStreetMap Wiki

2 Likes

To prevent that own OSM file from being uploaded to the main OSM database server, see the hints at this thread:

How to prevent a JOSM layer from ever being uploaded to OSM? - OSM Help

or do not enter OpenStreetMap credentials in josm. You can have several parallel josm “users” by specifying different settings files on startup, so you could have a user for editing OpenStreetMap and another one for fictional stuff (which won’t ever authenticate with the OpenStreetMap servers)

1 Like

The complete documentation is found at Help/Menu/OSMLayer – JOSM.

As starting point, I would use an empty layer with upload=never and download=never:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<osm version='0.6' generator='JOSM' upload='never' download='never'>
</osm>
3 Likes