You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: forum.openstreetmap.org is being retired. Please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators.
Please create new topics on the new site at community.openstreetmap.org. We expect the migration of data will take a few weeks, you can follow its progress here.***

#1 2019-05-25 02:02:35

RedShirt2

Getting started in android

Hello.  I've been programming in Android Studio for a while.  I've been trying to get started with using OSM in my app, but I'm having a hard time understanding the steps and requirements for getting started. I've posted here as I think this forum will let me blab slightly more than in the help questions/answers.

--
Firstly, my end goal is an android app that tells me the speed limit of the road I'm currently on.  Ideally, I would have a trigger onEnter/ onExit speed limit zone and maybe a onNoLimit (or 'in wild' or no data).

I do not need maps, or graphics or tiles.

I can already see what i think is JSON data from Overpass Turbo (It's a 6 MB file for my city, but I'm fine with having user download this file for reusable data).  I'm pretty sure I can use an async background class to download this data.  I've queried/downloaded other such files from the net.

I would like to know radius to a point (node??).  For example, if I'm within 200m of a school/playground (then I would present user with a different speed) << incidentally, my city doesn't have enough data for school/playground maxspeed(conditional) zones, so I would also want to help build up the correct data....

It would be my intention to allow a user to set their own region.

--
I have tried to create a mySQL/sqLite table with my long list of lat/lon and then query/compare each item to my current location.  I found out right away that isn't really fast.  And so I'm here.  I think I read that using a library I can access and query the osm data much more quickly.

(maybe out of order):

Newbie Question1: Am I even going in the right direction?  What library would I need to implement (I'm using Android Studio 3.4) And are there proper newie instructions for installing the library?

Newbie Question2: Although I have read several posts referring to the pethora of Android Dev tutorials, I haven't seen anything remotely basic, ( like a OSM equivalent of an install and Hello World! tutorial).

Thank you in advance.  I'm fine with ideas to get me going in the right direction. I don't really need anyone to drop code on me. :-)

Board footer