You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-13 20:54:26

Map-Finder

Re: National road numbers

dido3 wrote:

I make a custom GARMIN map of Greece out of the OSM data you provide, targeted at mountaineering and outdoor activities. It is just the ref road ID I take and put as a road name. If you omit the ΕΟ/ΕΠ abbreviations of Εθνική Οδός/ΕΠαρχιακή οδός, I will simply not display them, which is obviously wrong.
Greetings,
Dido

So I noticed well. reg & nat ref do not appear on any data of the map!

#27 2019-06-13 23:39:30

JayCBR

thats the whole point, we dont want nat_ref and reg_ref to appear anywhere, they are used simply for documentation, as you will never see X16 and ΕΠ2 on signs in real life

dido3 the fact that you are using refs as names doesnt concern us here, i hope you understand this

#28 2019-06-14 04:52:58

mappas

Map-Finder wrote:

But does it make any useful difference the usage of reg_ref/nat_ref instead of single ref?
It is not even printed on the map, if I noticed well.

Map-Finder wrote:

So I noticed well. reg & nat ref do not appear on any data of the map!

Correct me if I misunderstood. If you mean that these tags do not get displayed on the map at osm.org, this does not mean something is right or wrong. What we see at osm.org is just one of the possible maps that someone can create with the data. I like to think of it as a simple preview, useful for us editors, not the best map for general use.

#29 2019-06-14 06:25:26

Map-Finder

mappas wrote:

Correct me if I misunderstood. If you mean that these tags do not get displayed on the map at osm.org, this does not mean something is right or wrong. What we see at osm.org is just one of the possible maps that someone can create with the data. I like to think of it as a simple preview, useful for us editors, not the best map for general use.

As I said, these tags do not appear on the map, I didnt say that these tags are loss of data.
But if these tags is important to be visible, there should be in a diferent usage.

#30 2019-06-14 07:12:20

nikospag
Website

Map-Finder wrote:
mappas wrote:

As I said, these tags do not appear on the map, I didnt say that these tags are loss of data.
But if these tags is important to be visible, there should be in a diferent usage.

Where and when exactly did mappas or anyone else said anything about "loss of data"??????

Last edited by nikospag (2019-06-14 08:12:09)

#31 2019-06-14 10:04:55

ika-chan!

It is in my opinion that we should not complicate the system of road numbers, and we are also not tagging just for the renderer too.

Just because a road number is on the standard layer does not mean that one must use them on their maps.

No one has to be 100% perfect at OpenStreetMap.

#32 2019-06-14 10:26:35

Map-Finder

nikospag wrote:

Where and when exactly did mappas or anyone else said anything about "loss of data"??????

It has to do more with a personal conversation we had about tags.

Board footer