You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: By 30th of September 2022 the forum.openstreetmap.org will be retired, please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators. We expect the migration of data will be finished by that date, you can follow its progress here.***

#1 2019-01-11 16:59:11

Jimiiee

Mapping in Forests

Hi,

I am mapping in Sweden a lot. A thing I am having difficulty with are unpaved roads in forests. Roads that just give access to the forests. Are they mapped as unmaintained track roads or as unclassified roads? I see both ways of mapping and I am not sure which one to use.

Example is here:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/63.1946/14.0227

This road is mapped as unclassified but in reality is just a small dirt road, not meant for traffic.

Thnks.

#2 2019-01-15 15:38:28

turepalsson

Re: Mapping in Forests

There is a lot of variation in the tagging of minor roads. If the only thing it gives access to is the forest around it, I'd personally map it as highway=track, with some appropriate tracktype=XXX tag, and leave highway=unclassified for minor roads that actually lead to some settlement.

#3 2019-07-21 12:52:27

Skinfaxi

Re: Mapping in Forests

i think most people uses the constructiin set. a road with a compacted surface is for me an unclassified highway. you can use the data of vägverket for your disicion. "enskild väg" are regularly maintained wintertimes.

but i agree that it is difficult to see the differences. same third level roads are still tagged as "track" ...

Dinge, die nicht in der Datenbank sind, können auch nicht veraltern

Board footer