You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: forum.openstreetmap.org is being retired. Please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators.
Please create new topics on the new site at community.openstreetmap.org. We expect the migration of data will take a few weeks, you can follow its progress here.***

#51 2018-04-01 15:09:17

westnordost

Re: Dashed/Soft Cycle Lanes

So, what now?

This particular discussion has been dragging on for almost half a year now. I am tired of it. At this rate the discussion will never end.

I could create a vote, on doodle or something, but I haven't heard any real candidates because people that object (here) about a suggestion seem to be not very forthcoming about providing an alternative suggestion.

So, alester, do you have a concrete suggestion that you find better than the one currently proposed that takes into account how things are currently tagged and the situations in the different countries?

So far, candidates¹ are:

1. continuous / dashed / pictograms - tag what you see. In Belgium, all cycle lanes are dashed

2. exclusive / shared / pictograms - tag the implicit meaning of what you see. shared might be confusing when used together with cycleway=shared_lane

3. hard / soft / pictograms  - tag the implicit meaning of what you see. Meaning of tags by some regarded as unclear / not proper English

By the way, the opinion in the Belgium forum is that it wouldn't make sense to employ this subtag in Belgium anyway because there is usually no distinction between exclusive and shared cycle lanes. So the dashed-candidate would be fine as well. Personally, I would be fine with any of them.

¹ I left out Richard's suggestion, because as he assessed himself, the tagging would then reflect the legislative situation of the obligation for cyclists to use it which is something different as proposed here and would be expressed by other tags already.

Last edited by westnordost (2018-04-01 17:31:54)

#52 2018-04-01 15:42:22

westnordost

Edit: Nevermind this.

Last edited by westnordost (2018-04-01 15:44:04)

#53 2018-04-03 21:36:21

westnordost

Alright, I am going to suggest something myself and will document it in the wiki if I hear no objections and finally be done with it. Based on the feedback from alester, shared may be confusing when used in context of cycleway=shared_lane (Fietsstrook mostly), so then:

exclusive / advisory / pictogram

You can find many pictures which show exactly this kind of cycle lane when searching for advisory cycle lane, so this is a common name for it. Additionally, it does not collide with any current tagging names or concepts in the real world. (In Britain, "Advisory cycle lanes" are officially exactly that.)

There are also many pictures for shared lanes, but I chose to keep the shared keyword out of the picture because the term is not very specific and would lead to confusion: anything but an exclusive cycle lane is shared and "shared_lane" is already the value of the parent tag.

Last edited by westnordost (2018-04-03 21:42:03)

Board footer