Virus alert

I’ve just downloaded a osm_generic_windows.exe file and it brings up a virus alert. The file also wont open. Tried downloading twice same thing.

Doesnt seem to be a way to contact admins so have posted here.

It’s almost certainly not a virus. It happens fairly often with Garmin downloads, partially because if you have enough “random” data it’ll eventually it’ll trigger an AV pattern-match, and Garmin downloads are quite large.

The “won’t open” problem is likely your AV stopping you accessing the file.

Without knowing exactly what you downloaded and what antivirus has the problem on what version of Windows (and what virus it thinks it has found) it’s a bit difficult to say more.

Tanks for your reply. I downloaded this file at 19:05 - osm_generic_windows.exe. Running W7 on a laptop. It triggered my Avir. Avir asked if I wanted to ‘remove’. I chose ‘yes’ but remove what it didnt say but the downloaded file remained the same size. After that I tried opening it and nothing happened.

Presumably “osm_generic_windows.exe” is going to vary based on what data you’ve selected for download? Pardon my ignorance here, I tend to create my own Garmin files rather than download them from here some I not 100% sure of the process.

I get the same problem. My Norton Internet Security says:

Threat type: Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics.
Threat name: Heur.AdvML.C

This was found when opening file: osm_generic_new_windows.exe 2018-07-03 21:42 40M Map installer for BaseCamp/MapSource on the Windows platform.

Filename: osm_generic_new_windows.exe
Threat name: Heur.AdvML.CFull Path: d:\users\chad\downloads\osm_generic_new_windows.exe

Here are the details directly from Norton…

On computers as of
7/3/2018 at 3:04:53 PM

Last Used
7/3/2018 at 3:06:52 PM

Startup Item
No

Launched
No

Threat type: Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics.

osm_generic_new_windows.exe Threat name: Heur.AdvML.C
Locate

Very Few Users
Fewer than 5 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week ago.

High
This file risk is high.

http://osm2.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic_new/07-06-2018/bb23152a5e0d1efbf8878e37e8e302ea/osm_generic_new_windows.exe
Downloaded File from pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de
Source: External Media

osm_generic_new_windows.exe

File Actions

File: d:\users\chad\downloads\ osm_generic_new_windows.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
fe785fe9de3f667be0fc4c21f33f0f6e898e98967669955ad259a17ca1270cf9
File Thumbprint - MD5:
e386ffeca0ffdea9167573e2d09caeda

You can ignore those warnings, they are false positives.
If you still dont trust it, install the gmap version for Mac OSX (also for windows pcs).
Those versions dont have installers.