Roads: English name vs. old name

I just realized the streets names in Ipoh are still from the colonial times. We wrongly have on the field “Multilingual name:en=” a name used by the British Crown.
I start to modified them, and by adding the suffix “old” to the name when later I realised we could used thet tag “Old name”
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:old_name

Notice that apps will ignore that tag and the historical name will be lost. It might be important, since it seems to be used by some

This confuses the fellow traveler who set up their app to “Map language=English” instead of “Map language=Local names”

Even Wikipedia has a list about:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_roads_in_Ipoh

The Chinese name must remained untouched.

Thoughts?

I think we should include Malaysia here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names

Agree with you. Apps such as MAPS.ME will tend to stick with name:en values. Hence, tourists using the app will be confused.

I’ve edited something like that, but it’s a subpage e.g. under the WikiProject Malaysia page.

If you think there’s something still missing, let me know; or you can open a Wiki account and begin editing.

Footnote: For the others, OpenStreetMap has (somewhat) a policy, where we map real things on the ground. So, that means if we can’t see any road names, then leave it blank.

Interested? Then take some time to read more e.g. On the Ground Rule and Map What’s on the Ground section of the Good Practice guidelines. The Don’t map historic events and historic features segment is just a few paragraphs below.

We have official chinese street names? something to think about. I am really tempted to delete them! :sunglasses:

Not really, I think the street name for Chinese should keep as that is not affect to Malay and English. So far Malaysia have many ethnics and we should accept another script live in the country. If you come to Sarawak, you will see many roadsign have Chinese and Malay name… So please hormat sikit lah… Tak kacau pun

You see the difference there? The second part is actually documented in OSM guidelines which asks us to pun the road names in whatever that was on the official sign board.

A discussion on whether it would be appropriate to put road names that are not there is more than welcomed. That’s where we put forward what we think so that the ideas can be discussed, and then if useful, implemented in the best way for the community. But being OSM, you can always do it your way if you insist.

name:en = Muddy Estuary :slight_smile:

Mentega Berbaloi …

What a name between the neighboring capitals of
name:en = City of Lions
and
name:en = Town of Angels
:smiley:

I just worried about sone of the name may not realiable… A visit to there really needs especially some Selangor new township’s road name really looks strange…

Please do elaborate more…

Is that Bangkok?

“Angels”

Might get the Crying Game surprise.

hehe. :smiley:

We have some common Chinese road names that are not showing on the official sign board which has became one of the traditional culture and many of us still using it since we’re kids so I’m agree with angys that keeping the tag for name=zh.

For official name just use the tag name= or name=en that will show on OSM by default.

You do realize that ‘some’ user also included russian/japanese equivalent names to our city names etc.? Would love to see the sources for that… Otherwise, this kind of naming might fall under the Transliteration rule which is a no no for osm.

more names to invent: :stuck_out_tongue:

name:en = elephant nut sack

Fresh from OpenStreetMap help:

Because the spirit of map what you see on the ground. Other names may be put in OpenStreetMap, but probably consider the loc_name tag; if it’s not known in the whole country.

We need source for Japanese.
But for Russian you get one vote from me that we can remove it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I consider in particular street names in Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh and Penang and contrast their approaches to street names, where agencies at the local level might act in ways that challenge the agencies at the top-most level. Resistance has come in the form of the persistent use of the colonial names instead of the sanctioned new names. I will draw upon interview data gathered by Koh (2011) on street names in Ipoh and the attitudes of the residents in their preference for pre-Independence names.

check these tags out before you overwrite whats on the street signboard.
old_name
loc_name