Lost my full uk discovery 1.50.000 map help!

Ok so I’m not the best at tech. But finally bought a garmin 64s with full uk maps. Bought for a trip to mount elbrus.
I was trying to add a map from osm mapping/basecamp. Through the process I ended up without my uk map cover and just a routable file. Hope this is making sense. Have I lost it for good and need to replace it or is it there somewhere.
Hoping for someone with more knowledge to help.
Cheers…

Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what you did, I suspect it’s difficult to say much. It would help if you could add details of what files do you currently have on the SD card? I have a similar 64S and could compare with here. The files are locked to each device though and I don’t have a “pre-locked” copy of them, so any files I have won’t be useful to you.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, one possibility is that the SD card has just become unseated. It’s not unusual for the SD card to fail to be recognised after changing batteries - just poke it back into its hole again and ensure the cover is properly engaged over it.

Depending on the map you installed you should be able to fit a GB map on the device itself (though of course even more care needs to be taken than with that than installing to an external SD card).

Unfortunately I can’t comment on Basecamp since I’ve never used it - I’ve always created my own map files and just copied them to the device.

Thanks for that. I rang garmin today. I must admit they’ve been fantastic so far. Told me to send It to them and they’ll sort it out. I checked the sd card to be sure it was seated. I’ll keep all informed. Said around 2 weeks.

I am an Apple NOOB; therefore, I am not talking about Apple OS machines in this posting.

I just checked on the Web. The Garmin 64s will work with a 64GB SDXC or SDXC card, with some significant limitations. Garmins only work with the first (perhaps only) logical disk (in Windows terminology) (disk partition in Linux terminology). You can divide a 64GB SDXC/SDHC card into two acceptable sized partitions using Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage/Disk Management or on Linux using gpartd. Then format the two partitions as FAT32 using the largest cluster size available. Both logical disks (partitions) can be mounted on Windows or Linux. Use the second logical disk (partition) as a backup area. When you get your Garmin 64s back, in any case, copy the entire contents of the SD, SDXC ot SDHC card onto your computer and, perhaps, onto the aforementioned backup area. Then, “kitten on the keys” problems can be easily recovered.

By the way, I have two Garmin Street Pilot 2610s operating in this manner with a full 5GB first partition and the second partition formatted as NTFS with a useful selection of usable maps. That means that on the road, I can switch mapsets (gsuppmap.ing files) in the time it takes to copy a 2GB file. I generate the mapsets using MapSource or BaseCamp from an All of The Americas map that it built myself in gmap format as that is easier to install (oddly enough, that is an Apple format).

The only problem with FAT32 is that it can’t handle files larger than 4GB. Dunno if this is likely to be a problem or not. The only real reason FAT32 still exists (and is what SSDs are formatted to) is that it’s usable by just about anything, even very old equipment. NTFS is a better filesystem in general. I have a vague memory that HPFS was optimized to treat SSDs better than NTFS is (minimizes writes so as to slow down degradation), but can’t find anything in a quick google to back that up.