OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-06 16:47:48

SafwatHalaby
Website

Re: Updating WikiProject Israel

Finding out what tag should be used to create a certain icon is deterring and time co...

My emphasis. That's renderer tagging.

Firstly, I appreciate your work and I love IHM.

As you pointed out, the list itself is not literally tagging for the renderer (hence I used the term "a bit like"), but it's promoting and documenting a certain subset of tags solely because a certain renderer supports them, and "encouraging certain tags because of a certain renderer" is a similar concept to "tagging for the renderer". The list lacks very common tags like bus stops and convenience stors, and has rare tags like quarries. So it's not a list of common IL tags, it's solely an IHM renderer documentation.

Also, Ron said it's meant for quick lookups. If someone is encouraged to use "tourism=attraction" rather than the more specific leisure=horse_riding because IHM supports only the former and only that's on the list, then that's a textbook case of renderer mapping, encouraged by the list.

I am not trying to nitpick the list and start a discussion with little practical impact, I'm just pointing out that rendering and mapping separation is important long term, and hoping that future Wiki edits take this into account. It's not an IHM documentation page.

Last edited by SafwatHalaby (2017-11-06 17:10:36)

#27 2017-11-06 17:10:28

SafwatHalaby
Website

Edited the post. Minor rephrasing only.

#28 2017-11-07 22:56:54

Harel M
Website

Two things:
1. The following issue in IHM can help by presenting the tags in the legend, if any one want to help out it will speed up the process (update the relevant .ts file with the relevant tagging and send a pull request or upload the updated code inside the issue).
https://github.com/IsraelHikingMap/Site/issues/396
It might also reduce the necessity to update stuff in the wiki when things change in IHM.
2. I can relate to SafwatHalaby's comment about tourist attraction - Maybe the wiki should present the decisions made on discussions like road shields, unclassified vs service road, Jerusalem Name, fire zones etc, it won't hurt to link to commonly used tags much like a table of contents, never-the-less.

#29 2017-11-10 07:15:43

SafwatHalaby
Website

I think fixing that issue would eliminate the need for the Wiki POI lists.

______

Regarding the Hebrew translations: I agree English should be the "master" version. I propose we add a "Last translated: <link to the last translated English diff>" for the Hebrew Wiki. This makes syncing much easier, as it allows us to know which was the last edit to be translated.

Board footer