You are not logged in.

Announcement

*** NOTICE: forum.openstreetmap.org is being retired. Please request a category for your community in the new ones as soon as possible using this process, which will allow you to propose your community moderators.
Please create new topics on the new site at community.openstreetmap.org. We expect the migration of data will take a few weeks, you can follow its progress here.***

#1 2017-10-08 14:00:45

westnordost

StreetComplete tags source:maxspeed (in UK)

My app StreetComplete currently tags roads that have no explicit speed limit with source:maxspeed instead of maxspeed:type in the UK.
This has been identified as a problem in issue ticket #492.

To summarize the linked ticket, I now - instead of creating a special exception for UK - lean towards using maxspeed:type for the whole world. (see my rationale here)

There is one open question though and the original poster did not answer anymore, so I am asking here:

Can maxspeed:type=nsl_single and maxspeed:type=nsl_dual always be inferred from oneway=yes/no (+highway=...)?

If not, what can the user of the app be asked that results in that tagging respectively? (The question must be answerable by anyone, so also non-UK-citizens and children)

And, finally, if it turns out to be "too complicated / not easily answerable", the question is, would you find it okay if the app simply tags GB:national (or even GB:urban/GB:rural) and leaves the detail to more experienced mappers?

---

P.S: I am posting a link to this topic in the German forum (because source:maxspeed originates from Germany), I feel I shouldn't leave them out when I make such a change in the app.

Board footer