How do I get Osmosis working?

Hello,

I’m a very experienced programmer. I struggle with getting other people’s techs up and running for the first time though. I want to be able to understand Osmosis so I can open a .osm.pbf file myself and use the information for my gps video game.

I have downloaded the Osmosis java project via github into Eclipse.
The read.md file says to go to the root and type: gradlew build

I did that and got errors:

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• Where:

Build file build.gradle line:26

*What went wrong:
A problem occured evaluating root project ‘osmosis’.

Cannot run program “git”: CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified.

Any help would be appreciated. All I really want is to know how to read from the file. I don’t need anything else from Osmosis. Maybe I can manually look through the .java files and find the lines to open and read the data without being able to compile it…

Since the time, don’t know if you solved your issue but gradlew build has to be performed in command line before importing into eclipse. I personally did a ‘gradlew assemble’ then a ‘gradlew eclipse’ (as stated in the readme in github) and imported it with no issue into eclipse after that.
As for how to directly read a pbf file using osmosis as a lib, if you have found out how, I am interested because I need this also and just started looking at the osmosis source code to decrypt how to perform it :wink: