OpenStreetMap Forum

The Free Wiki World Map

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A fix has been applied to the login system for the forums - if you have trouble logging in please contact support@openstreetmap.org with both your forum username and your OpenStreetMap username so we can make sure your accounts are properly linked.

#51 2017-04-01 12:10:06

AlaskaDave
Website

Re: "AI-Based Country Scale Road Import"

I totally agree with this approach. Because we cannot use the same imagery as the Facebook team, there must be some way for us to at least view the work of the team before we can have confidence that its contributions will be useful. Limiting the additions to major highways and working in an area having high-quality Bing imagery will facilitate our evaluation greatly.

This method was the one we agreed upon last night.

Dave Swarthout

#52 2017-04-01 18:16:05

Bernhard Hiller

Stephan, I agree with your suggestion. Let's hope the Facebook team will also agree, and we can start working together on a better map of Thailand.

#53 2017-04-02 08:57:39

stephankn

To make it clear. The statement above is a joint response we spoke about on last Friday meeting in Chiang Mai.

I posted a notice on the import mailing list. Suppose Facebook wants to discuss it internally before responding. So I don't expect an answer before mid next week.

#54 2017-04-03 08:27:30

Johnny Carlsen

stephankn wrote:

To make it clear. The statement above is a joint response we spoke about on last Friday meeting in Chiang Mai.

I posted a notice on the import mailing list. Suppose Facebook wants to discuss it internally before responding. So I don't expect an answer before mid next week.

People present at the meeting this Friday was:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Johnny%20Carlsen
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Tom%20Layo
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/stephankn
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/AlaskaDave
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/sojo

#55 2017-04-06 22:45:40

DrishT

Hello Stephan and Johnny,

As suggested created a new post here.

Thanks,
Drishtie

#56 2017-04-07 04:10:45

Mishari

I agree with the statement and would like to offer some points for discussion.

1. Rural and farm roads should be added as well, perhaps in smaller grids, but it is these communities that can benefit the most. Perhaps it can be considered "Alpha" until we think it's suitable. This is extremely useful data for the cycling community.

2. Verification, not only in DG but Mapbox imagery is suitable, having pretty good imagery for roads in most of Thailand. But for a controversial idea, I would also like to offer verification with Google's imagery. We're not actually tracing or deriving anything, right? deploy_flamesuit()

Thank you everyone for your hard work.

Best regards
Mishari

#57 2017-04-07 08:32:04

rorym

Mishari wrote:

But for a controversial idea, I would also like to offer verification with Google's imagery. We're not actually tracing or deriving anything, right? deploy_flamesuit()

I'm afraid that would not be legal. Sorry. I know it sucks, and it makes some things easier, but Google won't let us use their imagery in OpenStreetMap. Maybe someday, but that's not today alas.

#58 2017-04-08 09:39:24

stephankn

@Rory: I think you missed the twist in Mishari's idea. It is not about using Google for deriving OSM stuff.

He suggested to overlay a Google Map with another layer (which would be OSM data). This is similar to the example in the maps tutorial showing how to combine Google maps with your own data. As long as this is not used to create OSM data or augment OSM data using Google's data , this sounds perfectly fine with their terms and conditions.
If you see a specific term restricting this use would be glad you point it out. I did read through their pages and they refer to multiple terms sub-pages. I might have missed something.

@Mishari: We wanted to go without the agricultural tracks as these are a bit harder to detect and validate on the imagery we have. Also while I understand that cyclists like to use minor roads I have to admit that I have never seen them using unpaved agricultural tracks. But as you cycle a lot more than I do I believe you have more insight on this.

Seems Facebook also would prefer to import everything looking like a road and rely on their human team to do the classification. So including tracks could result in declaring the import later having too many faults to be acceptable. What if the opinion the the others on this?

#59 2017-04-08 16:31:05

AlaskaDave
Website

Perhaps a better definition of what is meant by the term "agricultural tracks" would help. My thinking was that they should avoid adding the small tracks that, for example, run from a paved road to a farm field and end there. These little tracks are scattered about everywhere in Thailand. However, an unpaved road that has a discernable beginning and destination with other highways and is well-defined enough to be visible on Bing is a good candidate for inclusion as a highway.

They should also read through the Thailand Wiki information, if they haven't already, so as to become familiar with the tagging conventions we use.

#60 2017-05-07 12:28:42

SomeoneElse

Maybe I didn't get the memo, but it looks like work has started: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4833439535/history smile

Best Regards,
Andy

#61 2017-05-08 07:28:53

stephankn

Board footer